Todd Bertuzzi DUI

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Dumb choice gets rewarded, but before the high and might get on their horses for the day one should probably consider that every day people that others would consider quality human beings get DUI’s all the time. Not downplaying it, reminding that this particular bad choice is one that far too many people make all the time. Well to do folks, down on their luck folks and all kind of folks in between. Many people here in hf likely have dui’s in their past. It’s not a sign of alcoholism or evil in the soul (though that can certainly be in there) as much as it is bad decision making in one moment. And you only have to do it once to kill someone.
DUI is selfish, inexcusable and wrong. With that said, DUI is known as the “every man’s crime” just as you described it. As a result, it’s not a good indicator of other criminality.

One thing I learned early on as a criminal prosecutor - there’s bad people, and then there’s people that make bad mistakes. Sure bad people commit DUI, but the majority of the people that do typically fall into the bad mistake categories (even if their DUI was horrible, unacceptable and sometimes fatal).

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
No. I hope that nobody in here needs to hear this, but driving drunk is unacceptable regardless of your level of inebriation. Driving drunk is a huge danger to yourself and to other motorists, whether you'd blow a .081 or a .24. Don't do it for f***'s sakes.
While I obviously agree about not drunk driving and am strict about it myself, it's a little ridiculous to compare a DUI within margin of error of legal limit to DOUBLE and TRIPLE the legal limit.

Pretty absurd actually. You can't accidentally be 2x+ the legal limit. You can, however, be closer to .08 than you realize. Especially when you consider different body types and a variety of health factors.

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
no it reveals what alcohol does to people. it strips them of their normal character. It doesn't demolish the person or their character. Yet the effects sometimes can...it takes a level head to reconcile the difference. I'd wager nearly every single person here has a friend or family member that has a DWI, DUI or alcoholism that they'd love and defend tooth and nail.

I have no dog in this fight it just seems asinine to me to take such a hard stance against something that probably affects someone you love and would support.
Couldn't be more false. My family is full of alcoholics and in my experience, alcohol actually REVEALS a person's true character. They can't hide behind a fake persona when they're drunk and can't control themselves.

So if for example someone deep down inside doesn't care about anyone else and is self-centered, after they drink they're probably gonna drive themselves home, not giving a second thought about who they might be putting at risk with their behavior.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Couldn't be more false. My family is full of alcoholics and in my experience, alcohol actually REVEALS a person's true character. They can't hide behind a fake persona when they're drunk and can't control themselves.

So if for example someone deep down inside doesn't care about anyone else and is self-centered, after they drink they're probably gonna drive themselves home, not giving a second thought about who they might be putting at risk with their behavior.

My apologies for what you've been through, My experience is the exact opposite. Good people hiding their loss and shame and shotcoming by masking it through alcohol. My bestfriend got a DWI leaving a bar after out close friend's funeral. He was not in a good place due to things outside of his control and the grief he felt. He isn't a bad guy he made a bad decision that he has since paid for and is now a clean happy father of a beautiful daughter.

Maybe your point and mine have a common ground...alcohol affects different people differently. Some us it to fuel their self-centeredness and others use it as a coping mechanism.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
While I obviously agree about not drunk driving and am strict about it myself, it's a little ridiculous to compare a DUI within margin of error of legal limit to DOUBLE and TRIPLE the legal limit.

Pretty absurd actually. You can't accidentally be 2x+ the legal limit. You can, however, be closer to .08 than you realize. Especially when you consider different body types and a variety of health factors.
Accidental criminal behaviour is still criminal. .08 is a danger to everyone on the road. It is perfectly reasonable to compare all levels of drunken driving as dangerous.

I struggle to care about the distinction between recklessly operating a vehicle and super duper recklessly operating a vehicle. People shouldn’t f***in do it, full stop. Being pedantic about one level or another is not a meaningful contribution and arguing that people can “get close without realizing” outside of a medical context is dangerously close to excusing reckless behaviour.

I know that you do not intend to say those things. But arguing the semantics of which criminal behaviour is worse than the other is tasteless and unhelpful.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
no it reveals what alcohol does to people. it strips them of their normal character. It doesn't demolish the person or their character. Yet the effects sometimes can...it takes a level head to reconcile the difference. I'd wager nearly every single person here has a friend or family member that has a DWI, DUI or alcoholism that they'd love and defend tooth and nail.

I have no dog in this fight it just seems asinine to me to take such a hard stance against something that probably affects someone you love and would support.
Most of my extended family has been torn apart by drugs and alcohol, so that may be why I have less patience than most and don't have any time for excuses. I have seen people make stupid decision after stupid decision, only to blame the vice.

Keep in mind, not all DUIs are the same. For instance, you don't get a free pass from the "we all make mistakes" pile when you drive while on pot. You know what you're doing and still decide to risk others' safety. I'm not going to pat that person on the back and say "there, there.. we all make mistakes". And most people who drink don't just suddenly lose all semblance of cognitive function to the point where they can't reserve any level of judgement. I have known people with substance abuse issues, sometimes significant, who spend most of their waking life drunk and they still know enough to not grab the keys and go for a joyride. Yes, not everyone is affected the same way but I have a hard time chalking up every DUI to the unfortunate effects of alcohol, without questioning the selfishness of the individual. More often than not, alcohol actually absolves your inhibitions and reveals parts of your character you'd have rather not seen.

Recognizing a flawed part of yourself (and, hopefully, trying to fix it) does not suddenly jeopardize your entire existential worth. Not at all. Humans are flawed and those flaws don't automatically make them a bad person. It's up to them to learn from their mistakes, rather than blame it on someone or something else, especially alcohol (which is all too often used as a get out jail free card for horrible decisions).

Last edited:
Reactions: DJN21

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
So many new judges have been appointed since the early 2000's.

It's nice that you guys took the time to step down from your pedestal to pronounce judgement outside of your regular court hours.

Reactions: RustyCat

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV

It's nice that you guys took the time to step down from your pedestal to pronounce judgement outside of your regular court hours.

The fact that you think people are being performative and acting morally superior says a lot more about you than anyone else.

It's 2021. If you drink at all, don't drive. Call an Uber. A taxi. Have a friend drive you. No excuses. Period.

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
The fact that you think people are being performative and acting morally superior says a lot more about you than anyone else.

It's 2021. If you drink at all, don't drive. Call an Uber. A taxi. Have a friend drive you. No excuses. Period.

This. With Uber you need to wait like 5 minutes max now. No excuse, ever.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

So what's the correct response then?

When a public figure is arrested for driving drunk, condemning that person for their actions isn't moral posturing. It's what half-way intelligent people who don't condone highly unsafe and illegal activity do.

I don't have it out for Todd Bertuzzi and I don't have any any reason to purport my moral superiority over the guy. I've actually met him several times (at various fundraisers) and I have an autographed stick and framed portrait of the guy (not to mention a Todd Bertuzzi bobblehead). He's actually a pretty nice guy, considering his less-than-desirable reputation. Hell, I used to tape my stick halfway down the shaft and hike up my jersey over my elbows like he used to do too.

No, I'm just really disappointed.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I don't get all the people who seem gleeful about this. Bertuzzi was clearly not in a great place, coming from the team masseur's funeral. (He was *loved* in Detroit... Jeff Blashill flat out wept during his press time the day Tchekmarev died.) He spoke at the funeral, so clearly they were close.

But I'm glad we can celebrate alcoholism and pain like this

Vex

Apr 23, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
I don't get all the people who seem gleeful about this. Bertuzzi was clearly not in a great place, coming from the team masseur's funeral. (He was *loved* in Detroit... Jeff Blashill flat out wept during his press time the day Sergei died.) He spoke at the funeral, so clearly they were close.

521857441a3d7a953ac6ed24b7b84e73.jpg

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007

This. With Uber you need to wait like 5 minutes max now. No excuse, ever.
Lol so now we are saying if I grab a couple beers after hockey with the guys I should leave my car 20 miles away, pay $30 for an Uber back, and $30 to go pick it back up the next day? Even though there is zero chance I'm over the limit.

What if you have kids to take some where the next day? What if you can't afford it? Etc.

Man, this place gets worse every week. Now you can't drive PERIOD if you have ANY alcohol. :laugh:

Hope you apply the same standard to anyone taking prescription drugs that MAY impair ability to operate a motor vehicle. Roads are gonna be wide open baby. Let's go

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I don't get all the people who seem gleeful about this. Bertuzzi was clearly not in a great place, coming from the team masseur's funeral. (He was *loved* in Detroit... Jeff Blashill flat out wept during his press time the day Tchekmarev died.) He spoke at the funeral, so clearly they were close.

Just saying, that's exactly how Rob Ramage killed Keith Magnuson. Like exactly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad