Todd Bertuzzi DUI

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Being sad about a death in your circle doesn't justify driving drunk. That's some donkey brained logic right there. If you're feeling emotionally volatile that is yet another reason to stay off the roads and get a ride instead.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Todd Bertuzzi has never been bright since day one it seems.
This is part of the hot takes in this thread that are bewildering. He was dumb before? Yes he went after Moore, an injury that no one was expecting happened and he lost his career. The whole Canuck team was after Moore and the Av's that night. Impulsive decision in that moment? Of course. He owned it and paid the price. I don't know where you're getting he was dumb as a player, quite the opposite generally.

Guy had a great career and was a dominant player. Dumb guys don't usually get that far.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
This is part of the hot takes in this thread that are bewildering. He was dumb before? Yes he went after Moore, an injury that no one was expecting happened and he lost his career. The whole Canuck team was after Moore and the Av's that night. Impulsive decision in that moment? Of course. He owned it and paid the price.
Yeah an insincere apology trying to weasel out of responsibility, then spending ten years fighting being any financial culpability, whilst letting his surrogates continue dragging his victim through the mud isn't exactly owning it. Even still Moore is getting used as a scapegoat for Bertuzzi and Naslund's subsequent failures.
I don't know where you're getting he was dumb as a player, quite the opposite generally.
Moore wasn't even the first Avalanche player who had his head smashed into the ice by Bertuzzi.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yeah an insincere apology trying to weasel out of responsibility, then spending ten years fighting being any financial culpability, whilst letting his surrogates continue dragging his victim through the mud isn't exactly owning it. Even still Moore is getting used as a scapegoat for Bertuzzi and Naslund's subsequent failures. Moore wasn't even the first Avalanche player who had his head smashed into the ice by Bertuzzi.

By Bertuzzi?!?

And how does any of this work as proof that he’s not a bright person?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
By Bertuzzi?!?

And how does any of this work as proof that he’s not a bright person?
He keeps doing and saying dumb shit.

I was referring to “owning it” fighting financial remuneration and not raising his voice once to defend his victim or Andrie Nikolishin for that matter, is peculiar technique. Looks more like skulking off to escape any accountability, while being content to let his surrogates continue to blame and slander his victim.

But it is what it is.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He keeps doing and saying dumb shit.

I was referring to “owning it” fighting financial remuneration and not raising his voice once to defend his victim or Andrie Nikolishin for that matter, is peculiar technique. Looks more like skulking off to escape any accountability, while being content to let his surrogates continue to blame and slander his victim.

But it is what it is.
There’s been a huge lawsuit. I’m sure he’s handling it directly the way he’s being told to handle it - as anyone should in a case like this.

Of course he’s fighting the money. It’s a lawsuit, one side asks for the moon and the other fights that. Was he just supposed to open his wallet and let Moore take as much as he wants?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I’ve spent my career in 911, and for fun I was part of dui training for PD. They feed you drinks and let the officers practice testing you through the various stages. It is not hard to get to .08, and it’s doesn’t feel like you’re drunk when you get there. Everyone processes booze differently but most of us could’ve run a lap, no slurred speech....it was eye opening. Changed the way I looked at having wine or whatever when having dinner out forever.

Not that it's necessarily wrong but I would assume between lobbying from organizations like MADD and just a general "tough on crime" mindset they set the bar really low as both a deterrent and a precaution against more serious impairment.

Note that I am very green when it comes to drinking or impairment, from a general lack of interest, frugality, and massive distaste for beer. As someone who didn't touch alcohol till my mid 20's and have never been 'drunk' it's very confusing what "don't drink and drive" means. Like everyone has a beer or two after hockey then drives home.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
There’s been a huge lawsuit. I’m sure he’s handling it directly the way he’s being told to handle it - as anyone should in a case like this.
It was settled a few years ago and took about ten years.

Of course he’s fighting the money. It’s a lawsuit, one side asks for the moon and the other fights that. Was he just supposed to open his wallet and let Moore take as much as he wants?
Make an offer more substantive than the $400K they did, not drag it out in court a decade, not scape goat his victim, not let him be slandered and admit the Canucks were out of line in the first place. That would be owning it, not some crocodile tears at the podium trying to weasel out of punishment.

After going what he did and still does I can understand why Moore wanted a pound of flesh. A “Bounty” if you will.

Meanwhile, Brian Burke and Brad May have accused Moore of exaggerating his injuries in the last year.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Having lost a close friend - a mother of three - to a drunken driver, I have less than zero sympathy for Bertuzzi. Throw the freaking book at him and anyone else who drives drunk.

(For clarification, I've never driven drunk, and I never will, given that I'm in a wheelchair.)

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Not that it's necessarily wrong but I would assume between lobbying from organizations like MADD and just a general "tough on crime" mindset they set the bar really low as both a deterrent and a precaution against more serious impairment.

Note that I am very green when it comes to drinking or impairment, from a general lack of interest, frugality, and massive distaste for beer. As someone who didn't touch alcohol till my mid 20's and have never been 'drunk' it's very confusing what "don't drink and drive" means. Like everyone has a beer or two after hockey then drives home.
Pretty much everyone does have a beer or two after a hockey game. You could be very close to the limit right there depending on weight and the time you took to drink two. Doing what I do for a living I can tell you most people would be really surprised to realize how many people are driving around drunk in the middle of a weekday. Picking up their kids from school (in normal years). Grocery shopping. It’s way more prevalent than most people know.

Reactions: Beville

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
It was alright for Ryan O'Reilly, so why not Bertuzzi? Oh, right. Because we don't like Bertuzzi.

Seriously. A guy drunkenly drives his truck into a Tim Horton's (and flees the scene) and it's an instant classic meme, but a guy gets wasted and drives drunk after his close friend's funeral, and we need to throw the book at him.
Anyone who ever drink drives should get the book thrown at them.

I don’t care who it is.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
I've been worried about Bertuzzi's drinking ever since the intro video for that one season of HBO's 24/7.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
This is part of the hot takes in this thread that are bewildering. He was dumb before? Yes he went after Moore, an injury that no one was expecting happened and he lost his career. The whole Canuck team was after Moore and the Av's that night. Impulsive decision in that moment? Of course. He owned it and paid the price. I don't know where you're getting he was dumb as a player, quite the opposite generally.

Guy had a great career and was a dominant player. Dumb guys don't usually get that far.
It's just hockey. Don't overestimate hockey players' intelligence.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
if he committed a crime he deserves to be punished but let's not get carried away moralizing. it is not exactly shocking that a guy with the kind of career todd bertuzzi had might have done something irl that is selfish, immature and indicative of poor impulse control in the heat of an emotional moment. i mean it is those qualities, as much as being big and talented, that made him an effective scary hockey player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->