Todd Bertuzzi DUI

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Former Vancouver Canuck Todd Bertuzzi arrested for DUI: Report | Toronto Sun

Hmm... is this going to to be just another NHLer with a DUI or is he a mess? "Swerving all over the road" is way different than getting nabbed at a check stop, especially for a 46 year old man who should be beyond stupid mistakes. Makes me wonder how he's doing overall after...everything.
No. I hope that nobody in here needs to hear this, but driving drunk is unacceptable regardless of your level of inebriation. Driving drunk is a huge danger to yourself and to other motorists, whether you'd blow a .081 or a .24. Don't do it for f***'s sakes.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
DUI's always make me shake my head in disbelief, as much as anything. In all the drinking I've done in my life, I've never been inebriated enough to say to myself "I can totally drive". The moment I feel even halfway tipsy, I know it's time to either stop or prepare myself for further drinking by calling a cab/Uber. It's just so confusing to me because, no matter how drunk I get, I always have enough of my faculties to know when something is incredibly dangerous.

In that case, I don't know if it's the inebriation affecting their judgement or if they simply don't give a shit.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Dumb choice gets rewarded, but before the high and mighty get on their horses for the day one should probably consider that every day people that others would consider quality human beings get DUI’s all the time. Not downplaying it, reminding that this particular bad choice is one that far too many people make all the time. Well to do folks, down on their luck folks and all kind of folks in between. Many people here in hf likely have dui’s in their past. It’s not a sign of alcoholism or evil in the soul (though that can certainly be in there) as much as it is bad decision making in one moment. And you only have to do it once to kill someone.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No. I hope that nobody in here needs to hear this, but driving drunk is unacceptable regardless of your level of inebriation. Driving drunk is a huge danger to yourself and to other motorists, whether you'd blow a .081 or a .24. Don't do it for f***'s sakes.
Agreed, but I think the other poster was likely referring to thinking you are okay to drive because you don't feel anything from that second drink you had, versus taking down a 24 pack, knowing you are drunk as hell, and despite being unable to walk in a straight line, still getting in the car and going. Both are mistakes. One is a bad decision to drive, not realizing you were too inebriated. The other is not caring that you are too drunk to function and still deciding to go for a spin. Both are bad and dangerous. One is far worse.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Dumb choice gets rewarded, but before the high and might get on their horses for the day one should probably consider that every day people that others would consider quality human beings get DUI’s all the time. Not downplaying it, reminding that this particular bad choice is one that far too many people make all the time. Well to do folks, down on their luck folks and all kind of folks in between. Many people here in hf likely have dui’s in their past. It’s not a sign of alcoholism or evil in the soul (though that can certainly be in there) as much as it is bad decision making in one moment. And you only have to do it once to kill someone.

Stupid take. If you drive drunk you deserve the book thrown at you. I’m 34 and never driven inebriated. Like one person said above, every time I’ve drank I have had enough judgement to know I need to get a sober friend to drive me or take an Uber home.

Wealthy people are doubly as stupid as they could hire their own driver. So no, this doesn’t speak to him being an alcoholic. It speaks to him being a gd moron. But as an Avs fan watching him nearly paralyze a man for his entire life because of hockey code, I already knew Bertuzzi was a scumbag.

Throw the book at him.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
Dumb choice gets rewarded, but before the high and might get on their horses for the day one should probably consider that every day people that others would consider quality human beings get DUI’s all the time. Not downplaying it, reminding that this particular bad choice is one that far too many people make all the time. Well to do folks, down on their luck folks and all kind of folks in between. Many people here in hf likely have dui’s in their past. It’s not a sign of alcoholism or evil in the soul (though that can certainly be in there) as much as it is bad decision making in one moment. And you only have to do it once to kill someone.

Actually, intentionally putting yourself in a position to potentially harm/kill innocent people because your evening plans are more important is kinda the definition of a "bad person". There is literally zero excuse to ever be doing this, especially in the era or uber/lyft and ESPECIALLY when you are a wealthy person with so many other options.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Bertuzzi arrested for DUI.

Me:
1sl8vz.gif

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
DUI's always make me shake my head in disbelief, as much as anything. In all the drinking I've done in my life, I've never been inebriated enough to say to myself "I can totally drive". The moment I feel even halfway tipsy, I know it's time to either stop or call it a night (and cab). It's jut so confusing to me because, no matter how drunk I get, I always have enough of my faculties to know when something is incredibly dangerous.

In that case, I don't know if it's the inebriation affecting their judgement or if they simply don't give a shit.
That’s the difference between being an intelligent human being and a Todd Bertuzzi.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Agreed, but I think the other poster was likely referring to thinking you are okay to drive because you don't feel anything from that second drink you had, versus taking down a 24 pack, knowing you are drunk as hell, and despite being unable to walk in a straight line, still getting in the car and going. Both are mistakes. One is a bad decision to drive, not realizing you were too inebriated. The other is not caring that you are too drunk to function and still deciding to go for a spin. Both are bad and dangerous. One is far worse.
What you are describing is criminal negligence. It is not okay in any way, shape, or form. I can understand that someone would argue that criminal negligence isn't as bad as malicious criminal intent, but as adult human beings we are responsible for our own actions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad