Todd Bertuzzi DUI

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Stupid take. If you drive drunk you deserve the book thrown at you. I’m 34 and never driven inebriated. Like one person said above, every time I’ve drank I have had enough judgement to know I need to get a sober friend to drive me or take an Uber home.

Wealthy people are doubly as stupid as they could hire their own driver. So no, this doesn’t speak to him being an alcoholic. It speaks to him being a gd moron. But as an Avs fan watching him nearly paralyze a man for his entire life because of hockey code, I already knew Bertuzzi was a scumbag.

Throw the book at him.
When did I say anything about not throwing the book at him?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Actually, intentionally putting yourself in a position to potentially harm/kill innocent people because your evening plans are more important is kinda the definition of a "bad person". There is literally zero excuse to ever be doing this, especially in the era or uber/lyft and ESPECIALLY when you are a wealthy person with so many other options.
Then you’re surrounded by bad people.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
What you are describing is criminal negligence. It is not okay in any way, shape, or form. I can understand that someone would argue that criminal negligence isn't as bad as malicious criminal intent, but as adult human beings we are responsible for our own actions.
I never said it was okay. I said it is bad. It's really bad. But I won't back down in saying that being a little bit over the limit isn't nearly as bad as getting behind the wheel when you know damn well that you are so drunk you can hardly walk but still decide that driving is okay. Neither should ever happen. But the latter scenario is far worse, you won't convince me otherwise.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Dumb choice gets rewarded, but before the high and might get on their horses for the day one should probably consider that every day people that others would consider quality human beings get DUI’s all the time. Not downplaying it, reminding that this particular bad choice is one that far too many people make all the time. Well to do folks, down on their luck folks and all kind of folks in between. Many people here in hf likely have dui’s in their past. It’s not a sign of alcoholism or evil in the soul (though that can certainly be in there) as much as it is bad decision making in one moment. And you only have to do it once to kill someone.
Life is too slippery to label people as "good" and "evil" but choosing to disregard the safety of others reveals a layer of character that, although not enough to entirely define a person, is a clear indication of a serious flaw. That doesn't mean the person should be shipped off to death row but they need to take accountability for their choice and not explain it away as "we all make mistakes". Drunk driving isn't a simple human error or flub; you are making a conscious decision that your time and convenience is worth more than the lives of others. That is a "mistake" that needs to be reconciled in the deepest way.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Somebody on reddit said that he was coming back from Sergei Tchekmarev's funeral.
For context, the evening prior was the funeral for the Red Wings team masseur Sergei Tchekmarev, according to the Red Wings broadcast last night Bertuzzi spoke at the funeral. (Zetterberg and others flew in from Sweden for it). I presume it was some post-funeral drinking.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
but choosing to disregard the safety of others reveals a layer of character

no it reveals what alcohol does to people. it strips them of their normal character. It doesn't demolish the person or their character. Yet the effects sometimes can...it takes a level head to reconcile the difference. I'd wager nearly every single person here has a friend or family member that has a DWI, DUI or alcoholism that they'd love and defend tooth and nail.

I have no dog in this fight it just seems asinine to me to take such a hard stance against something that probably affects someone you love and would support.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I'm waiting for another HF take of no big deal. Everyone does it.

you know, one time, about twenty years ago i was in a full staff meeting at the newspaper where i was working as an entry level grunt. we were talking about how to go forward with a story about some important local politician who got a DUI and one of the editors goes, okay show of hands. who's ever driven even a little over the limit?

every single person in that room older than 25 raised their hand. none of us younger than that (we probably would have all been born during the carter presidency) raised our hands.

we were all like, holy shit.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Dumb choice gets rewarded, but before the high and might get on their horses for the day one should probably consider that every day people that others would consider quality human beings get DUI’s all the time. Not downplaying it, reminding that this particular bad choice is one that far too many people make all the time. Well to do folks, down on their luck folks and all kind of folks in between. Many people here in hf likely have dui’s in their past. It’s not a sign of alcoholism or evil in the soul (though that can certainly be in there) as much as it is bad decision making in one moment. And you only have to do it once to kill someone.

Well said. Very sad to hear, very fortunate (as it appears that) in this instance he was not hurt or killed, nor anyone else.

Needs to be sanctioned, and if any underlying mental health/addiction issues need to be addressed.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Cool story.

Nobody you ever talk to has ever or would ever drive drunk but there sure seems to be a lot of drunk driving still going on.
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

Calling someone out for making a reckless decision that could have resulted in innocent people being killed doesn't mean the person doing so is pretending they have no faults.

Reactions: I am toxic

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
"The bottle hit Markus Naslund first. He had it coming." -Canucks homers

ZealousWateryHorseshoecrab-small.gif

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
you know, one time, about twenty years ago i was in a full staff meeting at the newspaper where i was working as an entry level grunt. we were talking about how to go forward with a story about some important local politician who got a DUI and one of the editors goes, okay show of hands. who's ever driven even a little over the limit?

every single person in that room older than 25 raised their hand. none of us younger than that (we probably would have all been born during the carter presidency) raised our hands.

we were all like, holy shit.

Don't ask me that question . . . 'cause . . .

96507c74fc112d9dcab26fac8947c63a.gif

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Former Vancouver Canuck Todd Bertuzzi arrested for DUI: Report | Toronto Sun

Hmm... is this going to to be just another NHLer with a DUI or is he a mess? "Swerving all over the road" is way different than getting nabbed at a check stop, especially for a 46 year old man who should be beyond stupid mistakes. Makes me wonder how he's doing overall after...everything.
I am unfamiliar with DUIs outside of the US (well outside South Florida), but this is the more common situation than being stopped at a checkpoint.

It’s all unacceptable, but there’s certainly different degrees/factors that can make it worse. Thankfully no one got hurt, but we can’t really say how bad it was without knowing more facts.

Source - former criminal prosecutor that prosecuted thousands of DUIs.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad