Todd Bertuzzi DUI

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Hope Bertuzzi gets some help for things that are troubling him. Very lucky no one was injured.

A lot of posters need to grow up or grow some empathy and understanding for others. It’s an awful look; says more about the poster than the subject.
Who have empathy and understanding for people who drives drunk? It's extremely easy to not do. If he had killed one of your family members while driving drunk would you have called for empathy and understanding?

Anyone who decides to sit behind the wheel drunk is nothing less than an asshat and only deserves hatred.

Reactions: Memento

hanshin44

Mar 17, 2017
Who have empathy and understanding for people who drives drunk? It's extremely easy to not do. If he had killed one of your family members while driving drunk would you have called for empathy and understanding?

Anyone who decides to sit behind the wheel drunk is nothing less than an asshat and only deserves hatred.
Forgiveness is a important part of maturity. Alcoholism is a serious and terrible affliction, and not one that can be easily broken. Empathy is important, not anger. There is obviously something serious going on that he has to take accountability for and fix in his life. There is nothing wrong whatsoever with wishing the best for someone.

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
The World According to Karp.

Well played! Quite fitting for my last post and great film reference.

Well clearly I wasn’t referring to drinking and driving. Coming back from a funeral isn’t easy for anyone. In conjunction with the fact that he hasn’t had an easy go post-Steve Moore, doesn’t help. My point is that these things are nuanced. Not just black and white.

People want to made snide remarks about Steve Moore or dump on the dude. Fill your boots I guess.

I mean, I guarantee that the majority of people who are frequent drinkers and drive vehicles have been or been in the car with a person who would be declared legally drunk driving. People don’t really know little it takes. People just think of guys hammered drunk, when those people are in no state to be making any decisions let alone “choosing” to drive. So it’s kind of tough argument in my eyes. I don’t judge people based on just their mistakes. I haven’t walked in their shoes; lived through their troubles or addictions, if you want to waste your energy hating on another person for a mistake, giver! I would hate to reduce you to the sum of all your mistakes.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
What I wrote was the actual tagline from a MADD commercial.

They interviewed a bunch of people on the street who all claimed they never & would ever drive after drinking just like in the first couple pages of this thread. They then ended the commercial by saying "for everybody to be against drinking & driving, there sure seems to be a lot of drunk driving still happening".

I'm sure you were similarly outraged by MADD's position on this matter.
1. I am not sure how you read outrage in my post.
2. I still do not know what point you are trying to make. Are you making a joke? Using the quote from MADD Magazine to drive home a point?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I never said it was okay. I said it is bad. It's really bad. But I won't back down in saying that being a little bit over the limit isn't nearly as bad as getting behind the wheel when you know damn well that you are so drunk you can hardly walk but still decide that driving is okay. Neither should ever happen. But the latter scenario is far worse, you won't convince me otherwise.

The entire point is that establishing the BAC establishes an objective, quantifiable limit. What you’re saying in terms of the line of tipsy vs drunk is extremely wishy washy, subjective, and is the exact mentality that leads to accidents occurring.

Not saying you’re a bad person for thinking that way. Plenty of people do. But it’s a dangerous mindset.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
you know, one time, about twenty years ago i was in a full staff meeting at the newspaper where i was working as an entry level grunt. we were talking about how to go forward with a story about some important local politician who got a DUI and one of the editors goes, okay show of hands. who's ever driven even a little over the limit?

every single person in that room older than 25 raised their hand. none of us younger than that (we probably would have all been born during the carter presidency) raised our hands.

we were all like, holy shit.

I am 32 and have driven legitimately drunk two or three times (it’s been close to ten years and the incidents all took place over a couple of years).

The drives were never overly far, and I was never blackout drunk, but it’s the dumbest shit I ever did. Saying it wasn’t a big deal would be completely ignoring the risk I was lucky never came to anything.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
1. I am not sure how you read outrage in my post.
2. I still do not know what point you are trying to make. Are you making a joke? Using the quote from MADD Magazine to drive home a point?

MADD=Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

It has nothing to do with Mad magazine.

Reactions: McTusk

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t support driving drunk and it’s a stupid choice but I don’t know Todd personally or what’s going in his life enough to judge him on why he would a make such dumb choice.

I will point it out it’s very easy to slam a player that doesn’t exactly have the best track record on ice and is inactive when someone like Ryan O’Rielly who’s gets forgotten for his mistakes like driving a vehicle drunk through a tim Hortons and tried to flee and gets acquitted cause Canadian courts are a joke
Thank you. Ror is now a cup winner, a great team guy, high end two way player. No one ever says a bad word about him, he’s celebrated. He drove through a donut shop and fled the scene on foot! Yet Bertuzzi is now considered an alcoholic and a total scumbag.

I get a kick out of all the holier than thou, self righteousness that pops up whenever something like this happens. The hockey internet world is a funny place. Hockey players who have sinned once are banned and loathed forever.

Dude probably is a nice guy who gives to charities, spent time with sick kids in hospitals, and helps little old ladies across the road with nary an urge to body slam them.

If he’s having drinking problems, I hope he gets help. If it was a one off bad decision I hope he learns the lesson. I assume he’ll get punished appropriately.

I’ve spent my career in 911, and for fun I was part of dui training for PD. They feed you drinks and let the officers practice testing you through the various stages. It is not hard to get to .08, and it’s doesn’t feel like you’re drunk when you get there. Everyone processes booze differently but most of us could’ve run a lap, no slurred speech....it was eye opening. Changed the way I looked at having wine or whatever when having dinner out forever.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
MADD=Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

It has nothing to do with Mad magazine.
My mistake.

But again, I am not sure what point you are trying to make. Seems like you are discounting any and all criticism of Todd Bertuzzi because drunk driving is prevalent despite people's objections. Am I misinterpreting your position?

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
My mistake.

But again, I am not sure what point you are trying to make. Seems like you are discounting any and all criticism of Todd Bertuzzi because drunk driving is prevalent despite people's objections. Am I misinterpreting your position?

You're misinterpreting my position.

My position is the same as MADD. Statistics show that at least some of the numerous people in this thread claiming they have never & would never drink & drive are full of s***.

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Forgiveness is a important part of maturity. Alcoholism is a serious and terrible affliction, and not one that can be easily broken. Empathy is important, not anger. There is obviously something serious going on that he has to take accountability for and fix in his life. There is nothing wrong whatsoever with wishing the best for someone.

You know that not everyone that drives drunk is an alcoholic, right? A lot of them are just a-holes.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
You're misinterpreting my position.

My position is the same as MADD. Statistics show that at least some of the numerous people in this thread claiming they have never & would never drink & drive are full of s***.
Of the fewer than 200 people who have posted in this thread, I think it is quite the statement to make that a number of those people must be hypocrites because of nationwide statistics.

Statistically, roughly 8% of Americans have been convicted of a felony as of 2010 (I'm sure the number has changed one way or the other since the article was posted, but for the sake of argument let's just assume the number since the exact percentage isn't the issue). Is it safe to argue that at least 8 people in this thread have also been convicted of a felony, or is this too small of a sample size to make an accurate prediction?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Of the fewer than 200 people who have posted in this thread, I think it is quite the statement to make that a number of those people must be hypocrites because of nationwide statistics.

Statistically, roughly 8% of Americans have been convicted of a felony as of 2010 (I'm sure the number has changed one way or the other since the article was posted, but for the sake of argument let's just assume the number since the exact percentage isn't the issue). Is it safe to argue that at least 8 people in this thread have also been convicted of a felony, or is this too small of a sample size to make an accurate prediction?
It'd be a pretty terrible sample size. One, a ton of posters aren't American, two, hockey tends to be a sport targeted more to the middle and upper-class (which would remove the fact people in lower socio-economic environments are more likely to be convicted of felonies for a variety of reasons).

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013

Just stop.

You asked for an explanation & I gave it.

MADD considered it a big enough issue that they had a whole advertising campaign built around it.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Well that makes it alright then...
It was alright for Ryan O'Reilly, so why not Bertuzzi? Oh, right. Because we don't like Bertuzzi.

Seriously. A guy drunkenly drives his truck into a Tim Horton's (and flees the scene) and it's an instant classic meme, but a guy gets wasted and drives drunk after his close friend's funeral, and we need to throw the book at him.

Reactions: bleedgreen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->