Today I...

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Am Score*

For the slapper? Mid I guess. I worked on my slapper for a while yesterday and it felt pretty good.

I literally had no options, the puck was rolling and by the time I settled it down and looked up, I was at the hash marks. Normally I NEVER deke because I have never scored on a deke (outside my second ever goal as an adult...which was probably 400-500 goals ago).

Meant during the breakaways haha.

You could be fumbling it because it's coming too high on your blade. It's always safe to get it a little lower on the blade towards the heel if it's happening. Next time just adjust if you are coming too high and if you miss 1 or 2 of the pucks. Gives you a better shot at getting one settled down and a good scoring opportunity if you switch it up and focus on getting it towards the heel.

That's great to hear about your slapper though. Keep working on it, alot of people don't think you use it in game play if you are a forward (don't know if you are, i'm just saying). It's good to take a slapper to the net other than a weak wrist shot if you are in that position. Even as a forward you want the most array of options at your disposal.

I'm working on my shot as we speak and trying to shoot more at the mid-toe portion of the blade. I tend to shoot from the heel-mid which isn't working as well.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Meant during the breakaways haha.

You could be fumbling it because it's coming too high on your blade. It's always safe to get it a little lower on the blade towards the heel if it's happening. Next time just adjust if you are coming too high and if you miss 1 or 2 of the pucks. Gives you a better shot at getting one settled down and a good scoring opportunity if you switch it up and focus on getting it towards the heel.

Oh, on the breakaways, it was just bad luck and bad ice. Twice the puck was literally rolling and I was trying to settle it down, twice the puck died on me rather than gliding across the ice (so I had to kick it up to the stick which slowed me down), and a couple times I just rushed since the defender was on me so close.

Pcmm

Jan 19, 2013
(well OK it was last Friday) I managed to collide with a forward on the other team who probably has 60lbs on me! We came to complete solid stop with me embedded in the boards in front of the bench! I have 3 bruised ribs to prove it! I really need to work on my stops! All this after a friend texted me saying I was due to hit someone that night ( first year playing puckup or any form of hockey!!)

its all good we had a good laugh! and kept playing!

I'm just happy everyone tolerates my absolute lack of skill!!

I Am Score*

(well OK it was last Friday) I managed to collide with a forward on the other team who probably has 60lbs on me! We came to complete solid stop with me embedded in the boards in front of the bench! I have 3 bruised ribs to prove it! I really need to work on my stops! All this after a friend texted me saying I was due to hit someone that night ( first year playing puckup or any form of hockey!!)

its all good we had a good laugh! and kept playing!

I'm just happy everyone tolerates my absolute lack of skill!!

Glad you had fun haha.

I would do alot of free skates before jumping right back into any hockey though just for safety of yourselves and of other players.

3 bruised ribs doesn't sound all that great and it could've been worse.

Go watch the How To Hockey videos on YouTube for some great lessons on how to stop and everything else essential in hockey. Also Hockey Tutorials (juvenilee6) has some really good videos. I've talked to both and they are great guys. Very friendly and will help you out any time you need it. I even won a contest on How To Hockey which was pretty cool.

Good luck and God speed. The best rule in hockey: always have fun.

Pcmm

Jan 19, 2013
Thanks, I've been doing a lot of fee skating, and playing. Maybe I should qualify. I can stop, turn, etc. it's just I haven't got the reacts times down and some elements are weaker. Eg I can stop on my left side better than right. If I'm close to the boards and a player tries to deke around me. He'll have not problem. I don't have the reacts time to get the sudden changes of direction happening. Most of the guys are really good about giving me tips, etc. I'm working from a sports deficit! My family is not the slightest bit athletic and had no interest in it. I've started playing because a friend suggested it would be fun (and he's right, it is!) until this year I hadn't ever skated this much in a single season! I'm getting better, and having a blast, just occasionally I still do something monumentally stupid! It comes with the territory. I never got to play as a kid so I'm making the kid type mistakes now!

Mostly I think that's what happened to me last Friday. I was too close to the boards to switch it up and the other guy just committed to the direction he wanted to go!

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Today I scored my first hat trick in probably a year now. Too bad we lost 16-4. Also, the 1 goal I didn't score, was scored when they put it in their own net. :laugh:

I've been very hot lately and really confident with the puck and man, I have to say, confidence can go a long way. 6 points in the past 2 games, including 4 goals, 10 points in the last 4... I'm usually only good for a point a game or so. I've been skating a lot better usually and have been keeping my feet moving as much as possible, need to keep it up!

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
Tough loss last night.

The other team got out to a 2-0 lead. My line scored the next 3 goals and we got out to a lead. And somehow they score twice in the last like 3-4mins and we lost. They scored their last goal with 6 seconds left in the 3rd. :thumbd:

I had a decent game. 1G - 1A - 2PTs - +2

Couldve been +3 but i was on the ice for their tying goal. Poop.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
My college has its own league where each discipline has its own team (Engineering school). I play for one chem even though I'm in civil due to switching from chem to civil academically, but wanting to stay with my old team.

The league is pretty relaxed as everybody knows each other. But there's always guys running their mouth in a very tongue-in-cheek way.

I grew up with the goalie on the other team (he goes to my church) and I'd heard he was pretty good. Holy ****. He was amazing. I've played a collective twelve years of hockey and he's by far the best goalie I've ever played against.

He probably stopped more than a dozen breakaways and had two or three saves that had both benches cheering. It was amazing to see.

I really put the pressure on him too with my three missed shots.

I Am Score*

Going to try and pick up a heavy vinyl tarp today and make my own shooting area in my basement.

Reminds me I need to get a goalie tarpish thing to put on my net.

I'm getting my T1 in the mail sometime today along with my new gear. Can't wait.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Had an excellent game last night, although we lost 3-2.

I've been trying to become a better passer and playmaker and use my linemates more, especially now that I've got linemates that are quicker than me and get open and we're getting some chemistry and plays. That helped getting through the neutral zone with speed and we had some good looks and near misses.

Had a shift that might have been my best "little plays" shift ever as well. Forechecked as the defenseman retreated into his zone with the puck, poked it off his stick, then as we went into the corner stole it and skated out, centered it for my teammate who just missed, then as they tried to breakout, read the pass and stole it again, got a shot off, and before the end of my shift I read another pass in the neutral zone and picked it, passing it to a teammate who was streaking in and went off for a change.

Again, pretty cool because I'm not usually that kind of player.

Felt like I could skate forever too. Don't know why. Just had lots of energy and jump and even wind for once.

Also had some nice looks on the PP, working the puck from the half wall, faking shots and passing off, making moves to get loose and center the puck, and some good shots. Got a goal with 20 seconds left to get us within one. Linemate skated up ice and the D backed off him a bit so I called for him to shoot. He went just wide and the goalie came out to knock away the puck as it bounced off the back boards, then fell down. He went to the corner with a D on him and another between him and the net as I basically stood in front of the open net calling for the puck. Fed it right on my blade and easy goal. Another type of goal I usually don't score :laugh:

So pretty happy overall, lots of fun.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Played against this **** http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=37333

Our manager timed the amount of ice time he got and it totaled 43 minutes, which isn't much for him really. My league is meant to be a development league and they had kids sat on the bench getting no ice time while that ***** was skating around absolutely ****ed. We took a time-out after an icing in the 3rd period and instead of going back to his bench he went down on 1 knee where the faceoff was going to be, classy team player right there.

Basically he's a rich ******* who owns the semi-pro team they are affiliated to, so he can do whatever he wants.

SacredPetra

Dec 24, 2012
Colorado
This was actually yesterday, but I got to get out and shoot some pucks for the first time and had a blast! If I wasn't hooked before, I totally am now. The guy I went out with was awesome, helpful, and ridiculously patient, and I can't wait to find time to go out again.

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
Last Friday night I got to play in my outdoor league's All Star game at Soldier Field. It was an amazing experience even though the ice was beyond horrible. It was awesome coming out of the tunnel with snow coming down. We got killed 7-2 but I played D and my line was the only one that did not let in a goal. It is a night I wont soon forget. I was even quoted in the NY Times, who was there to do a story on the game! I had no idea that was who I was talking to when I was asked the question by a reporter.

Times Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/s...er-field-its-like-youre-a-kid-again.html?_r=0

I'm the first guy quoted.

Also here are a couple pictures of me from the game:
7vj0NOU.jpg

3p6U7E8.jpg

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Well, yesterday I blew a bit of tax return money on hockey stuff:

- Reebok 7k shins (see shin thread)
- Sherwood 5000 wood stick for my girlfriend
- Sherwood PP9 wood stick for my kid (he outgrew his old PP9)
- Graf 120" waxed yellow laces
- Sport Sense anti-odor spray

NEARLY bought an EQ40 stick, because it felt nice in the store, but not for $50. Maybe for $30.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Today I had quite possibly two of the worst misses ever. A puck came a little behind me when I was in the low slot; I reached back to control the puck and take a shot and lost my balance. Didn't get a shot off and the play went the other way.

The other was a little more excuseable perhaps; someone gave me a hard pass from the corner while I was crashing the net and I pushed it about two inches wide of the far post of the wide open goal.

Was easy to laugh about since we won the game 11-0 anyway.

TLow97

Aug 15, 2012
Twin Cities MN
Got the W on Saturday night 4-3, beat a team tied for 3rd. Team crashed hard on the forecheck which was awesome. I still feel like I'm playing on one leg, can't get much explosion off the left even if it's warmed up.

itsjustsurvival

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
Here in Richmond, VA it's one poorly run league that utilizes two different rinks in the city. There are 5 divisions with 1 being the highest and 5 the lowest. The main problem is they do not enforce players playing down or even really check to make sure people playing are actually on teams rosters. So naturally it is a mess. There is a rule you can't play down more than one Division, but as I stated earlier, so long as the rink is getting is money, they don't really care.

That said, I am captain of a team in Division 3. While I can formally challenge rosters/players etc., I feel that if other teams don't want to play by the rules, whatever karma is a *****. We will try to beat you anyway.

Now half of us usually play in Division 2 but the other half of our team should probably be in 5. We typically only have 6 or 7 skaters too. So depending on who shows up or subs we play very differently. We also have to have a different sub goalie almost every game. We stay competitive either way, but every year I wish more and more this league wasn't such a cluster ****.

Don't get me wrong, I love playing. But, frustrating season so far for the above reasons.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
...got the MRI results in. Tore my ACL, MCL, and cartilage in my right knee (knee hyper-extension). Did the same thing 9 years ago in my left knee so know all the rehab that sits in front of me right now. What bothers me the most is missing 8-12 months of hockey. The team has gelled and we won 2 of the last 3 league titles. We have a good group of guys to play with in a competitive, fun league. Pretty down right now.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Destroyed my helmet on the bench. So sick of watching pucks dribble by our defenders at the point. Team lost again 6-4 or something. Our line just struggles so badly to score even though we're making good plays and getting pressure on the other team and rarely getting stuck in our end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad