Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyKushryd

Nov 13, 2010
Canada Eh.
I wish positive mojo upon you!

Grammatical train wreck.

Well, the mojo worked.

Apparently my "backup" stick that I've never used should have been my regular stick. It's just slightly shorter than my old stick, and the blade is different as well, but it feels amazing playing with it. Picked up 2 goals and an assist, and it would seem that after 4 years I've finally managed to develop some semblance of defensive ability.

Now I just need to stay healthy.:sarcasm:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
lost 4-2 last night. super late game 10:45, and I knew i would be "waking up" at 320AM for saturday work. mind wasnt in it, game passed me by all night...had a few good shots but really just poor effort...i dont even feel like i broke a sweat. we had a full bench, so shifts were short and ineffective for us, poor changes, just lazy from the whole team really.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Team finally won again, 5-1. Had a goal and assist and was +2. Nice goal, a scrum in the crease, defenseman swats the puck away from the goal, I was waiting for it and took a rare one timer and in. Also had FIFTEEN shots, not counting misses of course. That's TWENTY SIX shots the last two games.

SkyKushryd

Nov 13, 2010
Canada Eh.
Team finally won again, 5-1. Had a goal and assist and was +2. Nice goal, a scrum in the crease, defenseman swats the puck away from the goal, I was waiting for it and took a rare one timer and in. Also had FIFTEEN shots, not counting misses of course. That's TWENTY SIX shots the last two games.

Congrats.

Also, you take a loooooot of shots, I'm usually happy if I end up with 5 or 6.

TLow97

Aug 15, 2012
Twin Cities MN
Went out to the local rink twice this weekend. Just took shots because the ice was mostly crap. Haven't been able to do any shooting at an open net up to this point. Finally feel pretty good about it now; wasn't all that confident about it before. Tried to take them at awkward angles and positions as well, forehand and backhand.

Gonna try to play tonight, despite the sore knee. Doc said it's a strain (LCL), so I'll be popping the ibuprofen today...

7toZulu

Jan 25, 2012
Denver
Got my new pair of Bauer Vapor X.5's punched out and baked... Ready to try them out tomorrow hopefully :yo:. They sure seem stiffer than my reebok 6k's, and the boot on the vapors is quite a bit deeper, which is good because my reeboks were giving me lace bite. Hope they work out, they are some sweet skates!

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Congrats.

Also, you take a loooooot of shots, I'm usually happy if I end up with 5 or 6.

Yeah, at my level a bad shot on goal is usually a better scoring chance than trying to make/receive a pass.

Looks like I had 15 shots a few years ago, so no new record for me. First back to back double digit shot games though.

My shots per game has increased steadily though:

2009-10 - 3.5
2010-11 - 4.0
2011-12 - 5.1
2012-13 - 6.0

Shooting percentage is usually around 8-12% but now it's at 3%. Better than 0% two weeks ago though...

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Got the ball rolling for my inline team's custom pants. Putting the finishing touches on our jerseys before ordering them as well.

youthoftoday

Jun 14, 2011
Philly
Last night I watched my 10 year old son play an incredible game only to come up short at the end. They were down 5-1 in the 3rd, then he got them back in the game with 3 straight goals. So 5-4, with about 2 minutes left, he stole the puck right outside the blue line and had a clear path to the net. He had 2 defenders chasing him and I think he panicked and rushed his shot a little too early and it sailed a foot wide. In typical fashion, the other team got the puck and went right down scored, game over.
I'm not a screamer at all, but even if I was, its was hard to get mad at him. They have a pretty small team as it is, so he played probably 60% of the game at that point and was probably going on a 3 minutes shift, so I can understand making a mistake. After the game, I just made jokes about it.

TLow97

Aug 15, 2012
Twin Cities MN
Knee held up the other night... doing my best to keep with the RICE treatment. Probably have to pop painkillers on game days.

Lost 7-1 though... but I was only -1. Small victories, small victories...

PaperworkNinja

May 24, 2012
Among Bureaucrats
I was pretty stoked for my hockey class last night. Wound up going five-hole on both the goalies during drills, and I wound up the evening scrimmage with two assists. Then again, I play stay-at-home D so I don't normally get close to the net.

WeakTalocrural

Dec 30, 2012
NY
Since my kids started ice skating for the first time at the start of this winter, it has always been on man-made ice. It has finally been cold enough here in NY to freeze up a local lake.

So today I introduced my kids to skating and playing hockey on a pond. Just like their Dad did when he was their age. :)

2013-01-26141347_zpsc114d170.jpg

I Am Score*

Asthma is absolutely killing me right now.

I don't use an inhaler and rarely get it until AFTER a big effort game. I'm getting it now just doing shooting drills.

Damn.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Lost 9-3 last night. -3 on the night. Defense is brutal right now. More and more of our wingers are playing as third defensemen and getting out of position. It's basically three defensemen and two centers right now. Awful.

Had four breakaways and ON ALL FOUR the puck bounced or rolled off my stick. Best scoring chance was a clean pick in our end that I could not settle the puck down, stuck and went in my skates, had to kick it back up, finally got it settled right when I see the goalie hunched to one side, then as I go for the deke he pokes it off.

On the plus side, I took a slapper so hard the goalie went "WOW" as he caught it. That's rare for me.

Just a forgettable game pretty much.

I Am Score*

Lost 9-3 last night. -3 on the night. Defense is brutal right now. More and more of our wingers are playing as third defensemen and getting out of position. It's basically three defensemen and two centers right now. Awful.

Had four breakaways and ON ALL FOUR the puck bounced or rolled off my stick. Best scoring chance was a clean pick in our end that I could not settle the puck down, stuck and went in my skates, had to kick it back up, finally got it settled right when I see the goalie hunched to one side, then as I go for the deke he pokes it off.

On the plus side, I took a slapper so hard the goalie went "WOW" as he caught it. That's rare for me.

Just a forgettable game pretty much.

Where did you make contact with the puck?

Alot of players do it on the mid portion of the blade but i've been doing it on the heel more and it works better for me.

Plus if you're in close I highly suggest just tilting the blade and popping it top shelf instead of deking. Even a fake of that if you want to will work, then pop it right through the five hole.

TLow97

Aug 15, 2012
Twin Cities MN
Frustrating night, lost 6-3 in a game that was closer than the score indicates. They had a couple fluke goals, one of which deflected off my glove and in. It's frustrating enough practically playing on one leg; I can't bend my left knee too well right now. Thankfully we have a two week break.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Where did you make contact with the puck?

Alot of players do it on the mid portion of the blade but i've been doing it on the heel more and it works better for me.

Plus if you're in close I highly suggest just tilting the blade and popping it top shelf instead of deking. Even a fake of that if you want to will work, then pop it right through the five hole.

For the slapper? Mid I guess. I worked on my slapper for a while yesterday and it felt pretty good.

I literally had no options, the puck was rolling and by the time I settled it down and looked up, I was at the hash marks. Normally I NEVER deke because I have never scored on a deke (outside my second ever goal as an adult...which was probably 400-500 goals ago).

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Took a high stick to the chops. Cut my top lip pretty good, bled quite a bit, and ref only gave a 2 minute penalty! I chirped the ref the rest of the game.

BUT, I lost no teeth! I've already had to replace 2 of the front ones a few years back.

Jordan23

Jan 27, 2013
Today I (kinda) looked into joining an adult league. This will be my first time in a league and I just started skating a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad