Today I...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stocky

Jun 29, 2012
B-ville
Where are you deployed? Is there any smooth-ish concrete/asphalt surface?

I'm currently posted in a pretty tropic place, but at least there's a patch of smooth surface I can inline skate on. I usually put on my skates and practice with my cheap wood stick and a green biscuit during my free time.

No shooting or pass, but at least you can practice your puck handling skills.

I wish I had your set up. I am currently on a ship in the middle of the ocean. I wasnt able to bring my stick much less my skates (not like I would have time to practice anyways). I had to put all my gear in storage and wont be able to break it out until at least early summer if not later. I am dieing. At least the NHL is playing again, and I get internet access everyonce in a while to check out HF.

Few more months to go! :yo:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Today I went to the Monkey Sports Superstore about 20 miles from my house, holy crap, first time I legitimately felt like a kid in a candy store. Amazing store to say the least. They even have a net set up in the back of the store with 50+ different sticks on the shelf for you to try each one before you buy it.

I went in to buy one of those Messier Project helmets since I've taken a couple hits in the past year that left me a little dazed with headaches for a couple hours and figured no matter the cost, your head is worth it.

I was also interested in some sticks not that I needed them, I only have 2 spares left and I like to usually have a handful. I saw they had some Easton 65S Stealth sticks for $60 a piece, which is what I usually spend on sticks, so I picked up 4 of those. The ridiculous selection of everything they have also had me interested in a new pair of gloves since my old gloves didn't protect the pinky well which has taken quite the bit of abuse at face offs. I bought a black pair of Bauer Vapor X7.0s. I didn't want to spend that much but it was by far the best fitting glove they had there and the padding wraps around the outside of the pinky.

Lastly, I picked up one of those green biscuits after reading some good reviews here and it works very well. Pretty excited to play tomorrow after scoring a hat trick this morning.

bojaffa

Feb 23, 2013
New Jersey
Today I went to PureHockey looking for new shin gaurds.Not alot to choose from.I ended up with a pair of Nexus 1000's.They are nice but maybe abit to much if you know what I mean.Does anyone have any feedback on Sherwood T90 shins.I wish they had them there to check out.My current pads are old SherTeks from like 1995and they have held up good,I just want more protection.I just may return the Bauers.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Two hours of sticks & pucks w/my goalie friend. I love getting to bombard him with pucks and bust him on endless breakaways :laugh:

gosinger

Nov 25, 2012
...played on a friends team in a 7-team fun 4v4 tournament on an undersized rink with no goalies on small goals. fun as hell and a good sendoff to the rinks ice which will be shut down for the "summer" tomorrow.

Last edited:

OilerNut*

Team decided to play me on D tonight, even though I have always played forward and the other times i've tried D I just haven't had the knack for it. Ended up losing 10-2, was on the ice for like half the goals. Such a brutal night. :shakehead

TLow97

Aug 15, 2012
Twin Cities MN
Had the game tied 0-0 last night up until the 3rd, lost 3-1. Was against the last place team, too. Took two "checking" penalties early, and each time the guy ran into me and dropped. Refs even came and told me they probably shouldn't have called me on those. If you shouldn't have called me then why the eff did you??

AcidJazz

Feb 23, 2012
It's very cold here.
Team decided to play me on D tonight, even though I have always played forward and the other times i've tried D I just haven't had the knack for it. Ended up losing 10-2, was on the ice for like half the goals. Such a brutal night. :shakehead

I feel your pain. I just switched to D this year and there is a huge learning curve. 10 games in, I'm finally starting to get it. At first I was jumping up in the play 1/2 the time and I'd leave my partner to dry. But now I play much more conservative. I'm positioned better, block a lot of shots, and don't get beat nearly as often. I'm also getting a hang of these breakout passes. There is no glory on D. I only have 3 points (all assists). It's hard to score goals from back here.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Two days late, but we ended up losing in the Championship game to a team we had no business losing to. Too many guys either hungover or still drunk for the 9am game. Up 3-1 in the 3rd and lose 4-3, mostly because we decided to stop playing any resemblance of hockey or defense or our positions. So frustrating.

On the bright side, after going pointless in the first two games (should have potted a few goals in the first game), I finished with 7 points in the final two games including 2 goals and the primary assist on the third goal of our Championship game. Turns out it was enough to get me an all-tournament selection for our group. Obviously, I would have preferred the Championship, but after feeling like I was fighting the puck all weekend and snake-bitten for the most part, I'll take it.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Was offered a sub spot for next year down a level. Might do it if the league allows. Would be nice to play some easy games for once rather than getting killed every night.

Also kicked my ass with kettlebell, squats, planks, and rows in between shooting pucks in the basement and stickhandling with a 5# ball. And then shoveled for an hour.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Was offered a sub spot for next year down a level. Might do it if the league allows. Would be nice to play some easy games for once rather than getting killed every night.

Also kicked my ass with kettlebell, squats, planks, and rows in between shooting pucks in the basement and stickhandling with a 5# ball. And then shoveled for an hour.

This is why I like certain pickups and those really easy opponents. One, it's nice to be able to turn it down a bit and two it gives you more time in the heat of the play to see better decisions to make which help develop muscle memory for when you have less time against better opponents. some of the biggest strides I have made were attempting moves/passes/plays against weaker opponents and seeing it work or almost work. Allows me to gain the confidence to try it out against equal or better opponents and gain bigger strides when they work against them.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
The pickup games I used to play have gotten faster and faster. Five years ago I was able to play up a level and wasn't great but could hang. When I played my level I usually got 2-3 goals per game. Now I can barely hang at that level, it's so fast.

esidebill

Jun 1, 2012
Long Island, NY
The pickup games I used to play have gotten faster and faster. Five years ago I was able to play up a level and wasn't great but could hang. When I played my level I usually got 2-3 goals per game. Now I can barely hang at that level, it's so fast.

Worst feeling too. I always tend to make stupid mistakes if the games too fast. Usually have guys pressuring me within like 3 seconds of puck time, no room to skate and no open shots :(

Funkmarkoflex

Feb 20, 2013
Baie-Comeau, Québec
I was playing in my beer league last week with a friend in my team and our girlfriends were coming to see us play.

He is not a great skater. At a moment, he falls by himself, with nobody around him. Back at the bench I realized our GFs aren't there yet so I tell him he's pretty lucky he didn't look bad in front of them.

On the next shift, I get a pass in an open net (when I say open net, I mean OPEN NET, the goalie was in the corner of the rink) and totally miss my shot and fall. Back at the bench, I tell him I was lucky too, to which he replied "Our girlfriends all saw that you missed that free goal."

Guess who got made fun of at the bar that night

PaperworkNinja

May 24, 2012
Among Bureaucrats
Finally got a goal that wasn't a tip-in off of my stick, pants, shoulder, skates or cage. The puck got shot into the corner of our opponent's zone on the goalie's right side. I was setting up in front of the net and no one could get to it in time, so I pull myself out from in front of the net and beat the defender to the puck. He trips me to try to get to the puck and I let him know I don't appreciate that too much. I get up and take the puck backhand to forehand to backhand. I twitch like I'm going to try a lazy saucer pass to go over the goalie's pad (because I always try that in hopes it'll work someday) and then take a quick snapshot to go five-hole on him.

I've been taking 40 to 50 shots a day with my basement shooting setup (a plastic chair mat for a shooting pad and a target on my brick basement wall made out of painter's tape) and I think that's what helped me make the shot.

You'd have thought the other team scored the way they were coming over to congratulate me. I put a legitimate shot past their goalie and they're coming over for glove-taps and "good shot" and the like.

Now there's a new expectation for me to be good at shooting...

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Got to play with 4 Detroit Red Wings Alumni and DRW goal coach Jim Bedard. The funnest night in our adult rec league to date!

The deal is called "legendary linemates" sponsored by Bud Light and DRW. Basically we were at first tricked into believing we were being interviewed by the news, then an advertisement for the arena put on by BL(?). Turns out the entire set-up was fueled by the Wings and after some pre game interviews Maltby and Osgood walk in to the lockeroom to join our team!

Both teams had 2 alumni each (Chris Draper and Larry Murphy were with our opponents). The whole thing was surreal. As fast as 45 min running time passes, this was a complete blur. Playing against pros, a handful of spectators (usually there is 0 fans, you know what I'm saying), cameras and microphones all in the benches.. Both teams were laughing, cheering, etc on the same plays it was just complete hockey hilarity.

The alumni stayed for a good amount of time after the game and we met some of them at the bar for a last drink. The amount of low quality cell phone pictures taken was "legendary." But I thank those guys and the organization for making this happen. As stupid as it may sound lives were changed tonight. It was some type of strange acknowledgement for the small part we play in the culture of ice hockey. Tonight we were "stars". It felt special and the joy could not be contained!

Although apparently we were chosen by random to be highlighted I feel it is a gift to our manager/captain. He has shelled out almost 2 g to keep this leaking ship of a beer-league team afloat (which will be repaid) just for kicks, to not allow the team to die. He deserved the experience. The Wings alumni had a lot of fun also, for real. It proves to me that the biggest winners are who have the most fun. No matter what age or level of development it's the same game. You go hard and play as a team. Go after the puck yet also let the puck come to you. Hope no one is injured and have fun!

gosinger

Nov 25, 2012
Wow @ hockeyisforeveryone - congrats on a great experience and thanks for sharing it with us!

bojaffa

Feb 23, 2013
New Jersey
Well today I played 90 minutes of open hockey then took a ride to NonStop Hockey to get the skates sharpened.They were recommended by quite a few people so I figured I would give them a shot.

esidebill

Jun 1, 2012
Long Island, NY
Last night scored like three goals in pick up hockey. Felt alright, even though they were not really sniper goals. Also almost creamed 4 guys. Usually people wanting to skate where I'm skating :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad