Today I...

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeman

Jan 12, 2013
Michigan
Destroyed my helmet on the bench. So sick of watching pucks dribble by our defenders at the point. Team lost again 6-4 or something. Our line just struggles so badly to score even though we're making good plays and getting pressure on the other team and rarely getting stuck in our end.
'

How did you destroy your helmet?

neksys

Jun 24, 2009
...got the MRI results in. Tore my ACL, MCL, and cartilage in my right knee (knee hyper-extension). Did the same thing 9 years ago in my left knee so know all the rehab that sits in front of me right now. What bothers me the most is missing 8-12 months of hockey. The team has gelled and we won 2 of the last 3 league titles. We have a good group of guys to play with in a competitive, fun league. Pretty down right now.

Sorry to hear this dude.

bwhinnen

Nov 26, 2012
Brisbane, AU
Well it wasn't today but on Sunday in my Dev League game. I got my first penalty :( 2 minute minor for high sticking, it was a total reflex action that I need to get out of. Playing D in the slot, shot comes in at around goal post height I lift stick to bat it towards the corner (yes mistake number one should have gloved it for the obvious reason as well as the fact that it was at the height where I'd be called for playing with a high stick anyway) and hit the other teams forward in the cage as they did the same thing as me but turned to face me (lifted their stick to deflect the puck).

Thankfully they were wearing a cage is all I can say.

But the story doesn't end there, I was called a wife basher after that, why? Because the other player was actually my wife, we play opposite teams, me left D, her right wing. Yes I will never hear the end of it.

How do you get out of years of reflex action and learn to take your hand off of the stick and just use it instead? The scary thing is I knew that it was a mistake as soon as I lifted the stick, but reflexes had already taken over by then.

PaperworkNinja

May 24, 2012
Among Bureaucrats
After almost a year I finally was able to do a two-foot jump while moving backwards. Usually I fall by landing on my heels but last night I was finally able to land on my toes instead.

gosinger

Nov 25, 2012
...had my first 5 minute penalty for fighting (lowest possible level of beer-league, but with full-contact).

Was in the left corner, heard the refs whistle, turned around and saw my center flat on his stomach, with a guy twice his size sitting on his back and pounding his fists on the back of my teammates helmet. I threw away my stick, raced there and punched him in the face then dragged him off by his jersey. Refs and players from both teams came in to separate us, ended up being a 5 minute penalty for both of us.

On the bench the ref told me had I not intervened the other guy would have been given a game-misconduct (he attacked my center from behind, shoved him to the ground then jumped on him, with no puck anywhere near the play). So here is my question, was I right to step in? My teammate was defenseless, and if he hadn't worn a cage or had lost his helmet the beating could have caused significant injuries. He had no chance to fight back, so I feel I had to get in there...

Stickchecked

Jun 16, 2012
Ottawa, ON
...had my first 5 minute penalty for fighting (lowest possible level of beer-league, but with full-contact).

Was in the left corner, heard the refs whistle, turned around and saw my center flat on his stomach, with a guy twice his size sitting on his back and pounding his fists on the back of my teammates helmet. I threw away my stick, raced there and punched him in the face then dragged him off by his jersey. Refs and players from both teams came in to separate us, ended up being a 5 minute penalty for both of us.

On the bench the ref told me had I not intervened the other guy would have been given a game-misconduct (he attacked my center from behind, shoved him to the ground then jumped on him, with no puck anywhere near the play). So here is my question, was I right to step in? My teammate was defenseless, and if he hadn't worn a cage or had lost his helmet the beating could have caused significant injuries. He had no chance to fight back, so I feel I had to get in there...

You could have restrained the guy / gotten him off of your teammate without punching him in the face.

Full contact in lowest level beer league. God, I cringe thinking of it.

MJAYK

Jan 19, 2010
Dances with the wolves

It sounds that he was basically trying to kill your guy. You did the right thing interfering, just the punch in the face was a bit too much.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Won 5-2 against our division rivals.

3G 2A 5P +5!!!

First hat-trick (EVER!) and the first game I've gotten more than 2 points.

Also got a 2-minute minor for, get this... "Being in the crease" after the whistle. Looked for a rebound in front when the whistle went and got mauled by 3 defensemen, then I got a penalty. :huh:

Either way, I had one hell of a game.

MJAYK

Jan 19, 2010
Dances with the wolves
Won 5-2 against our division rivals.

3G 2A 5P +5!!!

First hat-trick (EVER!) and the first game I've gotten more than 2 points.

Also got a 2-minute minor for, get this... "Being in the crease" after the whistle. Looked for a rebound in front when the whistle went and got mauled by 3 defensemen, then I got a penalty. :huh:

Either way, I had one hell of a game.

Great job! I've noticed getting near the crease is a great way to rack up points while being a nuisance to the opponents at the same time.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Great job! I've noticed getting near the crease is a great way to rack up points while being a nuisance to the opponents at the same time.

It really is, as a smaller guy (5'8 135lbs) it's hard to do, but it works.

Either way, the ref just made up a penalty to give me some time in the sin bin.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
After getting no goals and two assists in my first six games, I've got four goals and three assists my last nine. Not great but an improvement for sure.

Also ordered an E600. Nothing else came close to fitting properly, including my 4k after shaving down the padding.

And I've got to switch back to tongues under shins. Just feels like there's no support at all. Such a strange feeling.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
After getting no goals and two assists in my first six games, I've got four goals and three assists my last nine. Not great but an improvement for sure.

Also ordered an E600. Nothing else came close to fitting properly, including my 4k after shaving down the padding.

And I've got to switch back to tongues under shins. Just feels like there's no support at all. Such a strange feeling.

did you try the reakt? fit was surprisingly wide to me.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Beat the living crap out of it. Not smart, but what the hell. Was going to pick up a new lid this summer anyway.

ha, I destroyed my water bottle last night by throwing it at a wall after the game. but mad at myself for missing what would have been game tying goal on a breakwaway in last 2 minutes. ended up losing 4-3. Frustrating night all round, got myself in good scoring positions all night but kept shooting at goalie. Had at least 7 shots

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Well, I finally figured out how to give my slapshot some lift, and apparently I was shooting hard enough, because I ripped through the netting that is above the boards, twice. Once with a roller hockey puck, and once with an ice puck (I wanted to see what it felt like to shoot it since its heavier than a roller puck)

Somebody sign this guy to the NHL! :sarcasm:

Funkmarkoflex

Feb 20, 2013
Baie-Comeau, Québec
Today I was supposed to play in my beer league after a week off (sometimes a QMJHL team plays on the same rink). But because of an incredible snowstorm (about 3 in. of snow) the city closed the arena... I wanted to try my new U+ CL skates for the first time on an interior rink.

God I hate my town right now...

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Last night I swapped kit with one of my teammates for a scrimmage so he went in goal and I played out in a proper scrimmage for the first time ever, it was pretty fun. I made some solid D plays blocking shots and making stick checks, and I made a sick outlet pass to put someone on a breakaway and got an assist :) I'm like Karlsson except good at defence ;) I rotated between D and forward but had no clue what I was doing as a forward in terms of positioning :laugh:

Only downside, my teammate who went in net turned his leg and the puck hit a buckle which I now have to replace

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
the other night I had all my equipment on ready to play and looked in my bag and realized that I'd forgotten my helmet (with full cage). Borrowed an instructor's one from the rink with no cage. Probably dumb but decided to play but felt naked out there and played much more conservatively that I normally do. Got through it fine but last night, wearing full cage, took a stick across the face. Thank god for the cage, especially at my level - advanced novice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad