Today I...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
Today I.. skated on ice for the first time in nearly 5 years.

First few strides felt a bit sketchy, but a few laps around the rink and it felt like I hadn't lost a stride. Tad rusty of course, but that was expected.

Who would have thought that cool breeze through your legs, pits and across your face felt so good?

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I've been working a lot on stick handling and doing so with speed to beat guys 1 v 1 and trying to anticipate their stick checks and body movement to better utilize quick puck movement and changing speeds. Each ice time I get its been getting better and better and ill show flashes or stretches of having actual hands. Today at pickup (with most of the same group for this pickup), I put it all together and was stick handling through defenders at will or bursting with speed to go backhand and build the wall. Changing it up each rush, I kept getting chance after chance after chance. Didn't finish them all or I tried to force too many passes to be unselfish but it still felt really good to see progression on something I was working on.

It was very much one of those zones where you stop thinking and you get surprised with what your instincts start deciding to do.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Played shinny for the first time in maybe three years?

Quick game, was the weakest skater out there, but my hands helped. Broke up some plays, made a couple pretty dangles (got some compliments), hit the bar on my one shot, so that was nice. Hope the weather holds for a few weeks so I can get out a couple more times.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Haven't played hockey for nearly half a year now. A little over another half a year to go.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Today I am crying.

We lost out game last night 8-4. The team was not clicking but the goaltender totally **** the bed.

8 goals and about 14 shots.

The other team was scoring from outside the dots with good but stoppable shots. I think only one goal came from inside the slot/front of the net.

Totally deflating and makes you appreciate the value of having a tender make big saves when needed.

We didnt play that bad we needed him to bail us out but we could have used a couple of big saves and more importantly we needed him to make routine saves which he didnt.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Today I am crying.

We lost out game last night 8-4. The team was not clicking but the goaltender totally **** the bed.

8 goals and about 14 shots.

The other team was scoring from outside the dots with good but stoppable shots. I think only one goal came from inside the slot/front of the net.

Totally deflating and makes you appreciate the value of having a tender make big saves when needed.

We didnt play that bad we needed him to bail us out but we could have used a couple of big saves and more importantly we needed him to make routine saves which he didnt.

Was like that in Shanghai too. We'd either get some amazing French Canadian goalie or a 12 year old kid who is just starting out.

I remember on this one weak shot that's headed straight for his mask, the kid actually ducked out of the way and allowed a goal like that.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Last night: forgot my elbow pads, bruised and/or bloodied each elbow. Where was that thread in which someone was asking if they were useful or not? :laugh:

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Struggled to get through work. Thursday at noon, I drive to Vegas with the gf for a tournament and I am already chomping at the bit. Hopefully the prostock RS2 I ordered Friday gets here in time. Fluke play cracked the blade of the one I had during our beer league game yesterday.

stocky

Jun 29, 2012
B-ville
Haven't played hockey for nearly half a year now. A little over another half a year to go.

I hear ya man. Last time I played hockey was probably late last August. Still have a few months to go. Damn deployment... Cant wait to get back into it and hopefully join a leauge this fall!

Struggled to get through work. Thursday at noon, I drive to Vegas with the gf for a tournament and I am already chomping at the bit. Hopefully the prostock RS2 I ordered Friday gets here in time. Fluke play cracked the blade of the one I had during our beer league game yesterday.

Which tournament are you attending? Are there many throughout the year in Vegas? I might try to get in on one this year or the next. I really want to attend the Lets Play Hockey Expo in Vegas this year as well. Anyone ever been?

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Was like that in Shanghai too. We'd either get some amazing French Canadian goalie or a 12 year old kid who is just starting out.

I remember on this one weak shot that's headed straight for his mask, the kid actually ducked out of the way and allowed a goal like that.

Yeah our goalies a pretty decent in our league. Theres a few really good ones a bunch of decent ones and one that can be hit or miss. We do get some kids occasionally playing goal and they arent bad. They mostly suffer from lack of size, so they dont take up as much net and lack of positioning. But they make up for it in energy.

The guys from the other night hasnt played with us this year as far as I know but hes played in the other league.

I hate ragging on goalies but Id have been happy if he was even in position to get hit in the head and duck. I mean 8 goals on 14 shots. All from outside the dot.

It was totally deflating. It was like having a beer league goalie playing in an NHL game. :laugh:

TLow97

Aug 15, 2012
Twin Cities MN
Got the W last night.

Knee's getting better, slowly but surely. Gets sore after games but gets better as the days go by. Really wanting to get the explosion back.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
Yesterday I finally cracked the hockey stop. Just suddenly clicked and now it seems just so trivial. Very excited about that.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Which tournament are you attending? Are there many throughout the year in Vegas? I might try to get in on one this year or the next. I really want to attend the Lets Play Hockey Expo in Vegas this year as well. Anyone ever been?

My first one was last year and this is the second time our team (at least the same core) is going. It's the one by California Hockey Productions. Pretty sweet as they have an all-touney team and MVP for your group and hand out trophies.

Last year I didn't know what to expect as it was also my first time to Vegas since turning 21 (I'm 26 now). This year I won't be doing any drinking (went on a health kick June 2012 and haven't had any booze since August 2012) but I'll have plenty of a leafy friend with me to indulge. I actually made a deal with my team that if/when we score 10 goals in a game, I'd break my streak and shotgun a tall-boy in the parking lot. That's only been active about a month and we have come close twice. Wouldn't mind hitting that mark while in Vegas.

I think there are at least two companies that put on a tournament in Vegas. Definitely worth looking in to and playing in if you can get a good group of guys you don't mind spending the weekend with.

deeman

Jan 12, 2013
Michigan
I've been working a lot on stick handling and doing so with speed to beat guys 1 v 1 and trying to anticipate their stick checks and body movement to better utilize quick puck movement and changing speeds. Each ice time I get its been getting better and better and ill show flashes or stretches of having actual hands. Today at pickup (with most of the same group for this pickup), I put it all together and was stick handling through defenders at will or bursting with speed to go backhand and build the wall. Changing it up each rush, I kept getting chance after chance after chance. Didn't finish them all or I tried to force too many passes to be unselfish but it still felt really good to see progression on something I was working on.

It was very much one of those zones where you stop thinking and you get surprised with what your instincts start deciding to do.

That's awesome and kind of keeps me motivated. Seems like I am putting skills into the bank and hope to be able to make a withdraw at SOME point!!!

Until then I have to be very deliberate and think things through well in advance - the instincts are just not fully there.

It must be a good feeling.:yo:

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
That's awesome and kind of keeps me motivated. Seems like I am putting skills into the bank and hope to be able to make a withdraw at SOME point!!!

Until then I have to be very deliberate and think things through well in advance - the instincts are just not fully there.

It must be a good feeling.:yo:

I was there not too long ago. Just keep working at it and take some chances during pick-up to build confidence. The biggest stride came when I finally trusted the puck would be where it should so that I could pick my head up and start reading plays. It started as a quick glance up to see the play and then back down to the puck to make the play and has evolved to where I have a much bigger peripheral of the play and spend much less time looking down at the puck and much more time reading what's around me. It's obviously still a work in progress, but the key word is progress.

No better feeling in the world when you do something silky and finish it with a goal. Inside I'm thinking, "Holy **** how did I just do that? I've never done that before." On the outside I pretend like it's no big deal.

I also found visualizing plays helps a ton. Especially, if you notice you are involved in the same type of play often. Then you can visualize things like timing and how to do a move or make the play. Sooner or later, you'll get the opportunity to execute. When it doesn't work, analyze why and what to do next time. Before you know it, the plays start getting executed with little conscious thought.

A prime example of this for me is coming down the off-wing with speed and faking inside before making a power move to the one-hand backhand, build a wall, and either going top shelf on the backhand if I can't cut across or cut across and try to find an opening. One day I realized I had the ability to get this move down. I watched Eberle pull this move off on highlight reels and then did some visualizing. Still am working on the backhand finish, but I have been able to pull this off fluidly quite often and with ease the past month or so. I don't always finish it, but it creates chances and then gives me the option to cut to the middle the next rush or attack with speed and stop once I enter the zone because the defender is worried about getting beat with speed so they give me more space.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I hear ya man. Last time I played hockey was probably late last August. Still have a few months to go. Damn deployment... Cant wait to get back into it and hopefully join a leauge this fall!

Where are you deployed? Is there any smooth-ish concrete/asphalt surface?

I'm currently posted in a pretty tropic place, but at least there's a patch of smooth surface I can inline skate on. I usually put on my skates and practice with my cheap wood stick and a green biscuit during my free time.

No shooting or pass, but at least you can practice your puck handling skills.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Got to skate on "freshie" ice. My friend drives a zamboni and they had to redo the ice for a figure skating tournament. The ice cracks and shoots out from your feet as you pass by, a bouncing puck creates shattered imprints into the ice. It was so smooth and "clean". Apparently it is necessary to crack up the ice and add pressure before the final resurfacing, I was glad to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad