Player Discussion Tobias Rieder

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
From an outsider's perspective, if management is blaming a bottom 6 forward for the team's failures, then the real issue is that the management group that has put this team together fails to see their role in what's going on. Management/ownership made the team and seems reluctant to take responsibility. Rieder is just a player, and not one the team should be relying on or blaming for losses. Rieder is not the common denominator...

Not trying to ruffle any feathers, I come in peace. I'm rooting for you guys.

Management banked on rebound seasons from Lucic, Talbot, Klefbom, Larsson and solid contributions from Brodziak and Rieder. Most of these these guys did not bounce back and the 2 new guys have had poor seasons.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Management banked on rebound seasons from Lucic, Talbot, Klefbom, Larsson and solid contributions from Brodziak and Rieder. Most of these these guys did not bounce back and the 2 new guys have had poor seasons.
They also banked on some combo of Rattie, JP and Yamamato to fill the top 6 RW.

They also banked on Garrison to be calming veteran to the defense

The one thing that they didn't bank on that actually turned out was Chiasson being a solid contributor.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Here's the list of his Clients(link) which does include Hall, not a fan of pissing off a powerful hockey agency when there really isn't benefit to doing so. So many things have to go right and need to change to turn this organization around, I got no time for anyone who wants to spout off, shut your mouths and focus on the task in front of you.
I honestly don't care who his clients are. Our main concern should be how is Reider's buddy who is our 2nd best players feeling about this.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
f*** him and his poor feelings. He got paid 2 million dollars to score zero f***ing goals playing over 30% of the season with Draisaitl
Anyone else think they could do nothing for 6 months at their job and not have a few choice words said about them on their way out? The hell with professionalism at this point
Enjoy Europe and hopefully a dozen guys from the roster follow you

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Probably thinking "well you probably shouldve scored at least 1 goal this season"
I don't doubt that his teammates probably agree with the comments that were said. The comments themselves have been stated through our media on these boards etc...

Just should never come from the organization. At least if they would've waited until the off-season to say that, but while he is still here?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
**** him and his poor feelings. He got paid 2 million dollars to score zero ****ing goals playing over 30% of the season with Draisaitl
Anyone else think they could do nothing for 6 months at their job and not have a few choice words said about them on their way out? The hell with professionalism at this point
Getting called out isn't even necessarily the issue. Saying they were the sole reason we missed the playoffs and publically saying they weren't resigning him is pretty embarassing.

Wrong or not, the way he went about it was the problem.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I don't doubt that his teammates probably agree with the comments that were said. The comments themselves have been stated through our media on these boards etc...

Just should never come from the organization. At least if they would've waited until the off-season to say that, but while he is still here?

Dallas Stars owners have said things about Benn and Seguin, both with long term contracts, that were even worse than what Nicks said about Reider.

Reider probably thought he could cash in playing alongside Drai or McD and he could never click. Hell, the writing was on the wall already during preseason when he was pretty much a no show. Like MPS before him, skates fast, does nothing.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Dallas Stars owners have said things about Benn and Seguin, both with long term contracts, that were even worse than what Nicks said about Reider.

Reider probably thought he could cash in playing alongside Drai or McD and he could never click. Hell, the writing was on the wall already during preseason when he was pretty much a no show. Like MPS before him, skates fast, does nothing.
Just because one idiot did something similar doesn't make it right.

Our team is also a lot more fragile than the Stars, you never in any business do something like this. Not unless you don't give a f*** what the outcome is

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
To be fair, Rieder was doing really well with Drai before the injury. Goal-less or not. Scoring isn't the only way to make the playoffs

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Honestly, I didn't think the comments were all that bad. If the transcript I read on twitter was actually correct.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

You could say that about 90% of the roster

FlyingPhi

Jan 9, 2008
Playa Hermosa
Honestly, I didn't think the comments were all that bad. If the transcript I read on twitter was actually correct.

Neither did I. He didn't say Toby was the "sole reason we missed the playoffs" as a poster commented, he simply stated a fact. 10-12 goals on this team and we probably do have 6 more points and are sitting in a playoff position.

He didn't say "we would absolutely be in the playoffs. The team is built perfectly. No one else is to blame. All past trades and signings were great. If only Toby scored 12 goals we would 100% be in the playoffs" - that's how the media and many posters and spinning it. You're simply not allowed to say anything negative, even if it is true, in today's world. Yea, yea, "don't throw people under the bus", I get it. I do. Hopefully, he walked down to Toby's locker and gave him a participation ribbon.

Reactions: Jeff Lebowski

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Was that actually said about Rieder? What a dumb comment. Did he have Chiasson pegged for 20? What if Rieder scored 15 and Chiasson only scored 5 (reasonable expectation of a PTO)? Then what would his excuse be?
Did anyone figure Drai would be 43+ He had 25 last year. There's 18 extra goals that probably wasn't expected.

Just shows how incompetent this management group is.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just because one idiot did something similar doesn't make it right.

Our team is also a lot more fragile than the Stars, you never in any business do something like this. Not unless you don't give a **** what the outcome is

Yep. Like Rieders agent is on record saying the Nicholson comments were "irresponsible". This is the kind of action of people that don't really care what impact their actions have. I'm reactionary, as a fan, but I'm not getting paid hundreds of thousands of bucks to manage a pro hockey team and behave myself. Nicholson gave in to momentary frustration and a question from a STH and went to an inappropriate place in singling out a player. Interestingly Hitchcock did the same with Draisaitl earlier in the yearin Response to Spector burying Draisaitl after the Sharks game.

What this exposes is an org that blames players, needs to be more accountable itself, and is responsible for the sum of player we put out on the ice, which isn't competitive. A team that trades Eberle-Strome-Spooner or Hall for Larsson is probably just bad managing, acquiring and holding onto talent.

Reactions: TB12 and GOilers88

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
this thread would have 1000 pages if it wasnt for toby reider

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
From the reactions of some you'd have to think they are too young or don't realize the Oilers have been doing this kinda stuff for years.

You all must think all those little stories after players leave, or are about to be pushed out the door, concerning lack of character or off ice issues are just great journalism getting to the truth & not the team planting the stories to put their PR spin on things.

This has been going on from Comrie to Pronger to Smyth to Souray to Hall & now to Reider. This has to stop because this is the kind of stuff that creates "culture problems" & it starts from the top in Edmonton.

They even fired the whole training staff after throwing them under the bus after an injury plagued season ffs. This kind of **** has to stop.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Yep. Like Rieders agent is on record saying the Nicholson comments were "irresponsible". This is the kind of action of people that don't really care what impact their actions have. I'm reactionary, as a fan, but I'm not getting paid hundreds of thousands of bucks to manage a pro hockey team and behave myself. Nicholson gave in to momentary frustration and a question from a STH and went to an inappropriate place in singling out a player. Interestingly Hitchcock did the same with Draisaitl earlier in the yearin Response to Spector burying Draisaitl after the Sharks game.

What this exposes is an org that blames players, needs to be more accountable itself, and is responsible for the sum of player we put out on the ice, which isn't competitive. A team that trades Eberle-Strome-Spooner or Hall for Larsson is probably just bad managing, acquiring and holding onto talent.
This. You can't expect the players to be competitive and accountable when the management group doesn't want to be competitive and accountable.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
**** him and his poor feelings. He got paid 2 million dollars to score zero ****ing goals playing over 30% of the season with Draisaitl

This, I have a problem with him being publicly roasted, as it should have been with closed doors. But he needs to be held accountable he’s done jack this season

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
This, I have a problem with him being publicly roasted, as it should have been with closed doors. But he needs to be held accountable he’s done jack this season

I'm sure it goes on all the time with closed doors.

What you don't do, is act like an ass clown infront of season ticket holders when you KNOW you're on camera.

This just reeks of incompetence. I don't give a shit about Reider. He's useless, sayonara. But the fact he did this publicly is just downright embarassing for the organization, and isn't something that is done at a professional level, in almost any career.

A simple "he just wasn't good enough" at the end of the year would suffice. Not some blasting of a 12 minute forward at a STH meeting. Especially with the whole "we could have made the playoffs if he scored" ordeal.

Reactions: Mick David and TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Might I direct your attention to the highest paid winger on the team... Who's still here for another 5 more years...

When does this player ever get outed by the coaching staff or org? He's wearing an A. Plus Milan Lucic, we're told, is replacing most of the Hall offense. Wheres that?

I have to read the fine print. Maybe Lucic fills in for injured Hall..

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This. You can't expect the players to be competitive and accountable when the management group doesn't want to be competitive and accountable.

It would be hard to work your hardest for an org like this. I think in the 2nd go round Brodz, and Rieder don't care too much. Its nice that Gagner does but I don't know how he manages it. He's positivity personified and not surprisingly did very well when Krueger was here, and not as well when the negative Eakins was here.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad