Player Discussion Tobias Rieder

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Neither did I. He didn't say Toby was the "sole reason we missed the playoffs" as a poster commented, he simply stated a fact. 10-12 goals on this team and we probably do have 6 more points and are sitting in a playoff position..

That's not a fact.

Reactions: MikeYEG

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
When does this player ever get outed by the coaching staff or org? He's wearing an A. Plus Milan Lucic, we're told, is replacing most of the Hall offense. Wheres that?

I have to read the fine print. Maybe Lucic fills in for injured Hall..
Maybe he just plays invisible so everyone will forget about him.

What a disaster of a signing he was.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Maybe he just plays invisible so everyone will forget about him.

What a disaster of a signing he was.

I question his better judgement for wanting to be here. We all have our lapses in wisdom I guess. This is where middle of the road careers go to die. This is the infamous Belanger trial. Man, how many vanquished players have their been?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well now we know it's all Toby's fault

When you combine Reiders lack of scoring with the crazy water it becomes a formidable obstacle for the team.

Little wonder they missed the playoffs...that combination would derail any team. :nod:

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

FlyingPhi

Jan 9, 2008
Playa Hermosa
That's not a fact.

You're right, it's not a fact. My bad.

We have lost 13 one-goal games this year and have had 14 empty net goals scored against (a couple games we had multiple empty netters scored against us). That's a third of the season so far with games that could have resulted in an OT point or even a win with another goal. 12 goals this year could have made a huge difference. And yes, not allowing a goal against is as good as scoring one, I know.

I am certainly not saying it's on Toby or anything, moreso on the lack of scoring which lies on management, coaches, and players on the ice.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
It's funny because if Bob didn't say "if he scored more we would have made the playoffs" I would have probably been fine with his comments.

Imagine making $1.5million USD for that 8 month performance.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It's funny because if Bob didn't say "if he scored more we would have made the playoffs" I would have probably been fine with his comments.

Imagine making $1.5million USD for that 8 month performance.
pretty sure he makes $2.0 million USD

lazyriver

Jan 1, 2019
Pretty unprofessional coming from the president of ops. What I see here is Bob Nicholson making decisions for the yet to hired next GM. That should inspire guys that are thinking of taking the job. I wonder how much impact this will have once free agency opens in July? I'd love to see Reider chants at the rest of the home games, goals or no goals, no professional athlete deserves to be publicly thrown under the bus like this. It was nice to hear Hitch stand up for Reider today.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Well there are a couple of issues.

#1 as others have stated who is Nicholson to lat out say he won;t be here next year all the while bleating that the new gm will have full autonomy.

#2 I have no issue with him saying what he did about Reider, as long as he blasted the shi* out of every player on this team other than mcdavid and Drai. We have about 6 hockey players on this roster and another 14 reiders.

Reactions: fuswald

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I had a bad feeling about the signing, but, then again, I have bad feelings about 95% of this organization's signings/trades

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Like I still haven't heard the context. Like...why did he bring it up?

Cause it can change things. If he brought up and singled out Rieder...holy shit.

Did someone ask what he thought about Riders season and then went on the rails?

The latter is something an apology can fix with time and can be chalked up to being upset about it and taking it to far.

If he chose Rieder to lay into...then there is really nothing an apology will fix.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Rieder is a part of why we didn't make the playoffs this year Nicholson isn't wrong. Just gave an example.

After watching him play for the season I would have sent him down to the AHL without question. Snake bitten or not his play was lackluster most of the time. Totally invisible.

Wouldn't resign him for league minimum. Team needs to get better not take chances on this player. Would take Rattie, Currie, Cave, Gambradella... over him.

Nicholson shouldn't have said it publically though very unprofessional.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Pretty unprofessional coming from the president of ops. What I see here is Bob Nicholson making decisions for the yet to hired next GM. That should inspire guys that are thinking of taking the job. I wonder how much impact this will have once free agency opens in July? I'd love to see Reider chants at the rest of the home games, goals or no goals, no professional athlete deserves to be publicly thrown under the bus like this. It was nice to hear Hitch stand up for Reider today.
There is no yet to be hired GM. That guy is Keith Gretzky and the decision on Reider clearly won’t be his to make anyway and it’s likely already been made by whoever it is that is running this team. That’s why Nicholson was able to say what he said with such conviction.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
For anyone that didn't believe yet that Button enjoys trolling the Oilers and is negative about basically everything about them except McDavid's speed,

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
For anyone that didn't believe yet that Button enjoys trolling the Oilers and is negative about basically everything about them except McDavid's speed,

Its a funny joke imo, but bad look by Button to misspell Rieder.

:laugh:

Idk. I'm a pretty easy going guy at work most of the time. But i've been in this kind of professional environment before, and honestly... Only people that survive long in this environment are either The Golden Boy, those without enough self respect to find a different situation, or those who aren't actually good enough to find a different situation.

Being that this is all public; make the organization a real hard sell to the kind of people you want to procure to ice a competitive hockey-club. Some food for thought, the Oilers are basically self-filtering all the most successful applicants from even applying. Have been for at least 20 years.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Its a funny joke imo, but bad look by Button to misspell Rieder.

:laugh:

Idk. I'm a pretty easy going guy at work most of the time. But i've been in this kind of professional environment before, and honestly... Only people that survive long in this environment are either The Golden Boy, those without enough self respect to find a different situation, or those who aren't actually good enough to find a different situation.

Being that this is all public; make the organization a real hard sell to the kind of people you want to procure to ice a competitive hockey-club. Some food for thought, the Oilers are basically self-filtering all the most successful applicants from even applying. Have been for at least 20 years.

Its worse to have one owns GM, continually mispronounce the name as "Rider". I'm surprised if nobody corrected him. He said Rider several times. Nicholson is being mocked about the pronunciation as well as all the rest, and yet the next time he speaks of him (if ever) I would bet he again says "Rider".

Reactions: BlackDogg

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Its worse to have one owns GM, continually mispronounce the name as "Rider". I'm surprised if nobody corrected him. He said Rider several times. Nicholson is being mocked about the pronunciation as well as all the rest, and yet the next time he speaks of him (if ever) I would bet he again says "Rider".

And he deserves to be mocked. Its not a hard word or sound to make for a Canadian. The issue is purely that Nicholson doesn't care or respect the player enough to get it right.

This org's arrogance is just... u.gh.

Can anyone see the oilers signing a Mark Messier, Craig Anderson, or even an Esa Tikkanen even if they came right to us? Or would Lowe and Mact say there is no room for those kind of problem children?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad