OT: To Trotz or not to Trotz

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I mean, I was on the record of being pretty skeptical about being owned by a bunch of venture capitalist vultures, but I was completely wrong about their methods of being shittay. :laugh:

Reactions: Night Shift

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
FSG has a hoard of finance and investment nerds at their disposal. They didn't buy the Penguins without knowing absolutely without question that the team was headed for a huge drop off and inevitable rebuild. They bought a team that's struggled to sell out the arena for a while now, were three consecutive 1st round losses deep at the time of the purchase, and Sid/Geno/Letang were already well into the twilight of their careers. Chalk up another 1st round exit this past spring, and they not only kept the FO, but signed the coach to an extension before his current deal was even up, and allowed said FO to basically plonk together the same team more or less for another go.

I think anybody that's hoping FSG steps in and rights this ship has gotta take off the black and gold glasses and put down their Sid body pillow. Era's over, it's on cruise control from here on out. The most I think we'll see is Hextall fired by the New Year if the team keeps struggling. Sully's safe forever, accept it. :laugh: They'll start caring about the team's performance once the rebuild kicks in and the team starts building up to contend again in like 7 years, after they've hashed out all of their real estate plans.

I mean, I was on the record of being pretty skeptical about being owned by a bunch of venture capitalist vultures, but I was completely wrong about their methods of being shittay. :laugh:

f***

Pens to Kansas City or Hamilton again

Downtown filled with "luxury" 5-over-1 condos

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm just surprised because how they're running the Pens seems counter to how they run their other major sports teams. Or at least that was the "reputation" people kept telling us about.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I'm just surprised because how they're running the Pens seems counter to how they run their other major sports teams. Or at least that was the "reputation" people kept telling us about.
People around here like to act like they are experts on everything. This is just another one of many countless examples of people posting about nothing they know about.

FSG will fire Sully if he sucks, they have deep pockets!

False

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
We traded for pieces to make Sully work...so I'm sure we could do the same to get Trotz to work....but that's the thing - just trading out Sully (who IS a good coach) isn't going to change a whole lot.

Our top guys are doing their job (outside the power play...er bathroom break). Our D Corps and bottom 6 flat out suck and our goaltending is mediocre at best.

Is what it is.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I'd love to see a huge firing and just Bring Trotz In with a New GM who would become President style or tell Hextall he's moving to President for Trotz to be GM in a year or 2.

I'd love a move like that.

It won't happen though.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If you're gonna hire Trotz, he's gonna demand partial or majority control over the GMing duties as well. Which is fine, because I'm not convinced anything about this team should be off limits. I just think you're staring down a multi-year reshaping of this roster to be more in line with what Trotz wants/needs in order to get his system and style running efficiently, and with the age of the core, I don't think you've got that kinda time.

Again, if they really wanted to shift the paradigm and go in a dramatically different direction, the time to do it was after Sullivan JJ-Schultz'd this team to a laugher against the Habs and JR was years into his GM psychosis. Too little, too late now.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The Capitals were 6th, 2nd, 3rd, and 9th in goals for under Trotz. I don't agree at all that he would automatically turn the Pens into the 2-1 snoozefest everyone claims. He did that with the Islanders because the only offensive star they had was Barzal. Lee, Nelson, Pageau, etc. These guys were in the league for years before Trotz got there and were nothing more than 40-50point type guys (although granted Nelson and Lee are off to great starts this year). The Pens, while older, are a lot closer in terms of offensive talent to the Trotz Capitals than the Trotz Islanders.

Reactions: Victor Z

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
He also said Boston did their due diligence big time before signing Mitch whatever
To be fair to Friedman, Sweeney, Neely and the scumbag kid's agent all said the same thing. You can only report on what your sources tell you.

Digging into the claims and going in depth like that is more a Westhead thing than a Friedman thing.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If and when the team shifts gears and makes a coaching change, I hope it's some coach nobody's heard of that has a knack for developing prospects and getting the most out of guys offensively. I'm not sure I really want a Trotz in charge of the next chapter, which is rapidly approaching, considering his tendencies as a coach. I'm absolutely sure I don't want Sully in charge of that. :laugh:

If you make a switch between now and next summer to go after Trotz, you're locking yourself into a coach for a good half decade most likely--and this team still has to pay Sullivan through 2027. You'd better be sure the next coach, whoever it is, isn't gonna give younger players and/or prospects the cold shoulder.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
TBH, I'm fine if sully is fired

I'm really not sure i want Trotz though. He's too old to rebuild this shit, there aren't enough years left for him to keep working that it would take to fix this crap.

And GMJR screwed any GM here for next four years anyway.

So what do you do? Psssh. I'm a fan. I get to gloat or bitch. They don't pay me to fix this.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
TBH, I'm fine if sully is fired

I'm really not sure i want Trotz though. He's too old to rebuild this shit, there aren't enough years left for him to keep working that it would take to fix this crap.

And GMJR screwed any GM here for next four years anyway.

So what do you do? Psssh. I'm a fan. I get to gloat or bitch. They don't pay me to fix this.
I think results would improve under Trotz, but we'd become boring af. We'd hold leads better.
We watch to be entertained though, so it kinda defeats the purpose.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think results would improve under Trotz, but we'd become boring af. We'd hold leads better.
We watch to be entertained though, so it kinda defeats the purpose.

I mean, they're already boring to watch. I'd take boring to watch and winning over boring to watch and constantly blowing leads.

That's my issue with this team under Sullivan for the last however many seasons. It's not even *just* the lack of playoff success, it's that too often this team is a chore to even watch. We're not losing exciting games, we're losing and playing a style that makes watching paint dry for 2 hours look more appealing.

Reactions: Gurglesons

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
I mean, they're already boring to watch. I'd take boring to watch and winning over boring to watch and constantly blowing leads.

That's my issue with this team under Sullivan for the last however many seasons. It's not even *just* the lack of playoff success, it's that too often this team is a chore to even watch. We're not losing exciting games, we're losing and playing a style that makes watching paint dry for 2 hours look more appealing.
Not always. We've scored 5 or 6 goals in 5 of the 12 games.
With Trotz you're aiming for 2-1, 2-0 or 3-1.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Not always. We've scored 5 or 6 goals in 5 of the 12 games.
With Trotz you're aiming for 2-1, 2-0 or 3-1.
I think this is an oversimplification of Trotz's coaching. I don't recall the Caps being a boring trap team when he was coaching them.

People only remember his Islanders tenure and forget the fact that roster isn't very talented so he had to play a really over the top "defensive" style with them. With the Caps it was more about making sure they were responsible defensively, but I don't recall them being boring.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't watch just to see the team win. Entertainment, for me, isn't derived purely from the wins-losses columns. :laugh: I'd take watching this team lose 7-6 for 82 games a year while playing exciting, creative hockey over watching a trapping slogfest that slops up the neutral zone and obstructs guys all night long. Big yawn on that. My name's not going on the Cup, I don't really give a shit about winning at all costs.

I'm not at all convinced this team is built for Trotz hockey anyway. His style relies on much better goaltending than these two schlubs, and forwards being disciplined about coming back and helping out defensively. I still think the team would hire Trotz, hoping to get the success he's been known for recently, but end up getting some watered down version of his style more akin to Johnston-era hockey than anything resembling the Isles team that made it to within a game of the Cup Finals.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
I think this is an oversimplification of Trotz's coaching. I don't recall the Caps being a boring trap team when he was coaching them.

People only remember his Islanders tenure and forget the fact that roster isn't very talented so he had to play a really over the top "defensive" style with them. With the Caps it was more about making sure they were responsible defensively, but I don't recall them being boring.
Well, I'm not really attached to Sullivan anymore so whatever I guess. Try it if he wants to come here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad