OT: To Trotz or not to Trotz

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
All in all, I think people are just gonna burn themselves out faster by wanting or expecting Sully to be replaced. I'm not even sure the guy's on the hot seat in FSG's eyes. It's a believe it when I see it situation as far as I'm concerned--dude's untouchable for some reason.

Four straight 1st round exits didn't get him fired, a skid from the end of October through early November isn't gonna do a thing, imo.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Where the f did the post game thread go

Also sure whatever Trotz is fine. Not my style but I guess Washington scored enough.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Which is a big reason I think Sully survives the season regardless of the outcome. Between a pretty barren field of coaching options and the team owing Sullivan like 5 years of salary, I highly, *highly* doubt he's fired any time soon.

Hextall on the other hand. There were reports from May back when the Pens botched the Rangers series that FSG basically called him in and asked him to explain himself and the direction of the team. Dude barely made it to the off-season as GM. He's as good as gone if this team's still floundering around by Christmas/NYE.
At this rate, by that time they're more likely to be Foundering than Floundering.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
All in all, I think people are just gonna burn themselves out faster by wanting or expecting Sully to be replaced. I'm not even sure the guy's on the hot seat in FSG's eyes. It's a believe it when I see it situation as far as I'm concerned--dude's untouchable for some reason.

Four straight 1st round exits didn't get him fired, a skid from the end of October through early November isn't gonna do a thing, imo.

I'm resigned to the fact they'd probably trade every core piece other than Crosby before ownership would get rid of Sullivan at this point. For some inexplicable reason he's untouchable in a way that only franchise players should be.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm resigned to the fact they'd probably trade every core piece other than Crosby before ownership would get rid of Sullivan at this point. For some inexplicable reason he's untouchable in a way that only franchise players should be.
I've been resigned to the fact that this is gonna be a several year victory lap of ever-worsening and ever more boring hockey as the core rides off into the sunset doing the queen's wave.

This Sully shit and the losing streak don't even bother me. It's all whatever. They should've dealt Rust last TDL and moved Dumo over the summer and accept reality. Instead we got this crap for another several years before the rebuild can even begin. :laugh:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Trotz can pretty much pick his destination. I don’t see him coming in mid-season anywhere. He’s got a Cup ring, lotsa money, a family. He’s probably decided to take the year off.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
I've been resigned to the fact that this is gonna be a several year victory lap of ever-worsening and ever more boring hockey as the core rides off into the sunset doing the queen's wave.

This Sully shit and the losing streak don't even bother me. It's all whatever. They should've dealt Rust last TDL and moved Dumo over the summer and accept reality. Instead we got this crap for another several years before the rebuild can even begin. :laugh:
Like, I resigned myself in the offseason to the reality of the "Retirement Tour" for 87, 71, and 58.

I just didn't expect that Sully would be part of the package deal there.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Like, I resigned myself in the offseason to the reality of the "Retirement Tour" for 87, 71, and 58.

I just didn't expect that Sully would be part of the package deal there.
Shit, I think they begrudgingly kept around 71 and 58 but Sully was always part of the plan tbh. :laugh:

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
And also that he wants to coach for an Original Six team lol
We stole the Bruins colors

Close enough to Original Six

Hot_to_trot.jpg

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Alain Vigneault is still unemployed

revEvvO.gif

Go ask Rangers fans how they liked him.

The Penguins are failing right now due to their special teams, which Sullivan doesn't (directly?) oversee. Firing Sullivan wouldn't really address that issue, firing his assistants would. But they've gone through so many assistant GMs to fix those special teams that I just don't know what to do about those special teams.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Can I just say, as the one that has been on the Fire Sully club for years now...

giphy.gif

I finally feel like you've all come around.

Which is a big reason I think Sully survives the season regardless of the outcome. Between a pretty barren field of coaching options and the team owing Sullivan like 5 years of salary, I highly, *highly* doubt he's fired any time soon.

Hextall on the other hand. There were reports from May back when the Pens botched the Rangers series that FSG basically called him in and asked him to explain himself and the direction of the team. Dude barely made it to the off-season as GM. He's as good as gone if this team's still floundering around by Christmas/NYE.
I'm pretty sure some team will snap him up right away and Sully will want to coach so he'll take the opportunity.

You can't do something with the fear of cost when the cost of keeping him will be far worse.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Trotz can pretty much pick his destination. I don’t see him coming in mid-season anywhere. He’s got a Cup ring, lotsa money, a family. He’s probably decided to take the year off.
Nine smaller toes to look after.

The Penguins are failing right now due to their special teams, which Sullivan doesn't (directly?) oversee
See, this I've never understood. How is his job so taxing he can't even say to one of the ACs that the PK or PP are bullshit and need to be fixed? Or fix it himself?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah at some point he needs to take control of that, and it's definitely a failure on his end that it's not being addressed.
Major caveat that I didn't see last nights game yet, maybe they're changing things? But I think the weird thing about the special teams is they are some of the few places for a coach to step in and assert some direct control over the game because you have more "set" plays than other situations. So I've always thought that it's been weird that Sullivan delegated that part out to his ACs.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I would like Trotz but not if it meant he would also be GM. The next GM needs to be a forward thinker. No more of the old hockey club.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Good coaches coach according to the roster they have. Trotz certainly leans defensive, but I think he coaches with what he has. Those Islander teams were not talented enough to win by running-and-gunning, so he went heavily defensive with them. And it got them pretty f***ing far. When he had a highly skilled Capitals team, they finished 6th, 2nd, 3rd, and 9th in GF. So it's not like he wants to win 2-1, but if that's what it takes, then that's what he does.

Losing 6-5 is better than losing 2-1, but sports are fun to watch when there is something on the line. If winning 2-1 is what is needed to win, then sign me up. No idea if Trotz would take the job, but if he would, I'd welcome him with open arms.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad