Confirmed with Link: TJ Brennan traded to FLA for 5th round pick

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Remember when Steve Bernier came here and was great for 2 games before the real Bernier came through? On the flipside, Cody Hodgson struggled his first 10 games here, and look at him now. You need a much larger sample size before making any conclusions.

Give it time. Maybe Brennan does succeed, maybe it's just a flash in the pan. But it is foolish to try and make any argument--positive or negative--based on one game.

French Connection

Aug 16, 2007
After the "shiny new toy" syndrome wears off, and the adrenaline dies down, Brennan will be #6/7 defenseman. Lets revisit TJ Brennan next March.

Or maybe just end up being the Mark Mancari of the NHL/AHL.

Can this apply too any current Sabres?

I think we need to give him a chance.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Can this apply too any current Sabres?

I think we need to give him a chance.

We? Who is we?

The Sabres? They did.

The fans? We did.

Now he's Florida's problem/asset

6 years after being drafted...... Yea, I think I have a good idea how he'll end up. Let's revisit Brennan next march.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Hopefully Brennan powers Florida past us in the standings.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
The Boyes situation was heavily influenced by injuries. He was a big part of the playoff push when we acquired him--he made several big goals down that stretch to get us in.

Last year though...let's face it. If he wasn't the odd man out, it would have been Stafford. We simply did not have enough skill guys to roll 3 scoring lines...someone was going to end up with the scrubs. Especially since Gaustad-Kaleta was pretty much a given to be on the same line...

I challenge those who claim Boyes never got a fair shot to come up with a lineup where we didn't have someone on a line that didn't make sense...it just couldn't be done. Boyes happened to be the odd man out.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
The Boyes situation was heavily influenced by injuries. He was a big part of the playoff push when we acquired him--he made several big goals down that stretch to get us in.

Last year though...let's face it. If he wasn't the odd man out, it would have been Stafford. We simply did not have enough skill guys to roll 3 scoring lines...someone was going to end up with the scrubs. Especially since Gaustad-Kaleta was pretty much a given to be on the same line...

I challenge those who claim Boyes never got a fair shot to come up with a lineup where we didn't have someone on a line that didn't make sense...it just couldn't be done. Boyes happened to be the odd man out.
He was given a fair shot. His piss poor performance wasn't about who he was or wasn't playing with IMO

I had more issues with his nonchalance and lack of passion, which had little to do with his linemates and lots to do with his own weak state of mind, as evident in his coach bashing after departure.

Last edited:

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
I wish Brennan the best of luck, and there is no doubt he'll have a chance to succeed but I dont think he would have been any good to us here, we gave him a chance now time for a change.

And great things occasionally come out of the 5th round so I'd rather have that than a dman I know isn't going to be any use to us. Our defensive corps are so deep his not a big loss.

Ace1963

Jan 14, 2013
Buffalo
He was given a fair shot. His piss poor performance wasn't about who he was or wasn't playing with IMO

I had more issues with his nonchalance and lack of passion, which had little to do with his linemates and lots to do with his own weak state of mind, as evident in his coach bashing after departure.

Don't blame Brennan. He was just the mirror image of the guy who drafted him, like most of his draft picks.
The drafting genius turns a #1 into a #5 six years later.

chadthestampede

The Humanoid Typhoon
Jan 20, 2011
Don't blame Brennan. He was just the mirror image of the guy who drafted him, like most of his draft picks.

We get your blind hatred of Regier, but at least try to make statements that actually make sense.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

Brennan was a 2nd round pick, but yeah that's not exactly a good return on an investment. Neither was the Paille trade. Regier falls in love with his own talent too much and as a result he kills the value any of these guys might have when it becomes time to finally move them. Nothing new or surprising there...

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
It makes sense to let the guy have a chance to play to his strengths. Campbell can set the table back there pretty well and handle the rush and entry. It's a great position for Brennan to be in.
Yeah, Brennan's in as good a situation as he's going to get with Dineen there in Florida.

I watched the whole NYI-FLA game, so to sum Brennan's debut: he was fed the most of minutes of his career (23:42 TOI), wasn't hidden from Tavares and pinched aggressively, showing off his mobility and shot (1 G, 4 SOG, 2 MS); it was a very solid debut (+1), but nonetheless just one game.

Brennan was mostly paired with Strachan, but saw time with Campbell as the shooter on their lone PP (1:21 TOI, 2 SOG) and again when trailing in the third (specifically with the score 3-0 and 4-3). As for his errors, I only noticed Okposo beating him wide once in the first (but a cross-crease pass found no one) and a d-zone turnover on the backhand in the third (resulted in a SOG from the left circle).

The Islanders led 3-0 before Brennan, playing in his first game with Florida after being acquired in a trade with Buffalo on Friday, started the Panthers' comeback.

Brennan scored at 5:09 of the third after rushing to the net and following up with a rebound.

"I just tried to throw one to the net and hung around and guys were on the outside and the puck kind of popped out and I threw it on net and the next thing I know it's in and guys are celebrating, so it was good," said Brennan, who didn't arrive in South Florida until late Saturday afternoon and didn't have a nameplate in the Panthers dressing room. "We got a little momentum off that. We had a lot of jump in the third, which is great, and it was great to see this team come out in the third and never say die. Not getting a point or two is tough, but a lot of character in here."

Brennan, who played for Dineen for two seasons with the Portland Pirates of the American Hockey League, ended up with 23:42 of ice time — second on the team behind only defenseman Brian Campbell.

It was an impressive Panthers debut for Brennan, who was selected as the second star of the game.

"That's what my expectations are as a player," Dineen said. "That's the level he's set in game one and that's what we're going to expect until our season ends this year, that he can go out there, he can log some quality minutes, he's got a good read for the ice and like a lot of people when they know they're going to get some confidence in them it makes a big difference. I think he got off to a good start tonight."

Link: http://panthers.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2012020413

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Brennan was a 2nd round pick, but yeah that's not exactly a good return on an investment. Neither was the Paille trade. Regier falls in love with his own talent too much and as a result he kills the value any of these guys might have when it becomes time to finally move them. Nothing new or surprising there...

I'm not defending Regier. But....

This crazy and wacky phenomenon where players get drafted in high rounds and get traded for lower round picks years and years later, is quite common. It happens several times a year. It's not a failure or misjudgment exclusive to a Sabres GM.

But it's hard to tell that by reading some posts here :shakehead

It actually can be a case of (heaven forbid) a player simply not working out as projected. I know that's a impossible thought for some. In fantasyland, All draft picks will make the NHL. And when they don't become regulars in the lineup, it's exclusively the GM's fault! :loony:

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I'm not defending Regier. But....

This crazy and wacky phenomenon where players get drafted in high rounds and get traded for lower round picks years and years later, is quite common. It happens several times a year. It's not a failure or misjudgment exclusive to a Sabres GM.

But it's hard to tell that by reading some posts here :shakehead

It actually can be a case of (heaven forbid) a player simply not working out as projected. I know that's a impossible thought for some. In fantasyland, All draft picks will make the NHL. And when they don't become regulars in the lineup, it's exclusively the GM's fault! :loony:

Your right, it does happen all over the league and sometimes players just don't work out, but yeah I put blame almost exclusively on the GM. He drafted the player and then sold him while his value was next to nil. Had Brennan been shopped at the beginning of this year after being a PPG in the AHL do you think he would have returned more than a 5th rounder? I do. The time it takes a GM to decide to cut his losses with a player or sell high on a player is extremely important. Regier has and continues to hold on to players while their stock plummets into the ground.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
You're assuming that Brennan wasn't being shopped at the beginning of the season, but even more importantly that other teams were going to simply be judging a 4th year pro on his AHL point totals rather than, you know, having scouts actually watching him play and seeing just how terrible he is in his own zone.

sabregoat

Sep 22, 2005
Hamburg, NY
I hope he does well in Florida since I do not like wishing failure on anybody. If he does do well, could it be another good player who just under achieves in the Buffalo system?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I hope he does well in Florida since I do not like wishing failure on anybody. If he does do well, could it be another good player who just under achieves in the Buffalo system?

The number of players who succeeded more once they left Buffalo is far eclipsed by those who did worse once they left Buffalo.

On a related note, I've long wondered whether Florida would be interested in Adam given how well he performed in Portland under Dineen.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
The number of players who succeeded more once they left Buffalo is far eclipsed by those who did worse once they left Buffalo.

On a related note, I've long wondered whether Florida would be interested in Adam given how well he performed in Portland under Dineen.

I think he would have been part of this trade. Something like Brennan, Adam and a 6th round draft pick for a 4th round draft pick.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Man, Brennan has a lot of family and relatives on this site.

If his family is on this site then all his current lovers are on another site I was reading. Some posters there were saying Regier should be fired because of this trade.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Man, Brennan has a lot of family and relatives on this site.

He just deserves a bigger look before people start casting him off as an AHL scrub...hopefully he gets that in Florida.

I have no problem with the trade itself

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
He just deserves a bigger look before people start casting him off as an AHL scrub...hopefully he gets that in Florida.

I have no problem with the trade itself

No he didn't, his Dplay is not even AHL worthy. His shot didn't hit the net, he got jumped by a trillion guys on the depth chart. It's not like he is a first year pro, he's a bad version of MA Bergeron. Career Tweener at best. Other guys show something when they get called up, a reason to stick around, TJ didn't. Better get a pick instead of losing him on waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad