Confirmed with Link: TJ Brennan traded to FLA for 5th round pick

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
A 5th round pick in the NFL is a player who COULD possibly make the roster. In the NHL, it's "future considerations". Yes, Ryan Miller was a 5th round pick.... name some others.. and then divide that over 30 teams.

To be fair, 15 percent of second rounders have long NHL careers. Chances are that Brennen's going to be in the other 85 percent. Nearly all NHL picks outside the top 5 (and even some of those) are gambles. That's what happens when you're projecting the future of teenagers. The NFL drafts 21-year-olds, typically. Just think how much less of a crapshoot it'd be if you evaluated all these kids after two more years in junior and a year in the AHL...

French Connection

Aug 16, 2007
Can't argue with any of that....but he still wasnt given much of a shot... little harsh to be calling him a scrub.

You are correct as he " WAS NOT" given a fair shot. He made a mistake and he was sat, Myers makes a mistake and get a huge pay day.

Dineen will get more out of him so good on TJ and say goodbye to this Sabres Mess.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
He's 24 and kept getting passed on the depth chart. His fault, no one elses.

Passed on the depth chart? ... He was put in that position on the depth chart without being given a decent opportunity to prove himself despite the horrendous play of many of our D-men.

I'm not saying its wrong..its just how it was..I just don't think people should be writing him off as a no chance player. He played well for us in his call ups last year.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
You are correct as he " WAS NOT" given a fair shot. He made a mistake and he was sat, Myers makes a mistake and get a huge pay day.

Dineen will get more out of him so good on TJ and say goodbye to this Sabres Mess.

So if player X gets "a huge pay day" they should never have bad games? They should be perfect. Well, could you tell me a few players who are perfect? I'd like to watch their perfect play.

And if player Y gets "a small pay day" they are allowed to make a ton of mistakes? They shouldn't be expected to play to the lowest NHL standard?

In other words .... Does salary REALLY have a direct relationship with the amount of mistakes that are tolerated? Personally I don't care. If you make league minimum or league maximum, be an effective NHLer if you want a roster spot.

Maybe you don't but some are sooooo put off by salary instead of performance. They seem to mention salary in every freakin argument against a player.

Edit: granted, salary is important in terms of affording enough decent players for a team. It's just not the end all be all with evaluating a player.

byrone12

Aug 2, 2005

Watched him play in the QMJHL...IMO the Sabres will regret this move in 2-3 seasons, although they were in a jam with waivers and all.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
And just for laughs...

Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund

Tallon getting tj brennan from buffalo for a 5th is insane. Talk around is if teams shocked he was avaliable for a 5th.

Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund

Sabres also moving grigo to junior at this point also baffles me. Guess the race for Jones/MacKinnon is offcially under way...

LOL. Guy knows his stuff. Because sending Grigs back to juniors makes any impact on how much we suck for the rest of the season?

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Watched him play in the QMJHL...IMO the Sabres will regret this move in 2-3 seasons, although they were in a jam with waivers and all.

Yeah a 5th for someone that is a PPG defenseman in the AHL is not fair value IMO. I do not think he was given enough of a chance to produce and be successful with the style of play he is comfortable with.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Yeah a 5th for someone that is a PPG defenseman in the AHL is not fair value IMO. I do not think he was given enough of a chance to produce and be successful with the style of play he is comfortable with.

Chris Taylor was a PPG player in the NHL many times over. It's hard to judge purely on AHL points. There are plenty of guys that tear it up in the AHL and never make it. Heck, Mark Mancari has been a PPG guy. Sure, Brennen's younger and a defenseman, so he has a more of a shot of making an NHL impact, but even then, what's the going rate for a 6/7 defenseman? Not much. Ben Lovejoy...5th round pick.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

At this point of his career he should have already been in the mix on the Sabres blue line. Thats on him not the Sabres. Most youngsters get a very brief window to show what they can do. Some seize it others do not. As they get older the pressure starts to mount to show something when they get called up because younger players are usually pushing them from below. Last year McNabb as a pro rookie had jumped ahead of Brennan on the depth chart because of how he played in his call up. Guys like Weber, Sekera and Myers at younger ages (19 or 20 years old) started making a push for roster spots and seizing their opportunities. That led to other opportunities for them.

Flynn, though older than TJ, is a recent example of a player making the most of an opportunity. Brennan never made much of anything happen offensively in his call up last year or in his games this year. He's also been given sheltered minutes in the NHL because he's not very good defensively. Its on Brennan to force the team to let him keep showing what he's got. He never did that.

I'm not saying he has no future in the NHL. He may very well be a late bloomer. But lets not pretend he is some young kid fresh from juniors we gave up on or never gave a chance. He can't play defense at the NHL level very well and he has yet to show any signs he can do what he did best in the AHL at the NHL level. Which is to create offense and score goals on the PP with his shot. Getting a 5th for that is not that bad.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
At this point of his career he should have already been in the mix on the Sabres blue line. Thats on him not the Sabres. Most youngsters get a very brief window to show what they can do. Some seize it others do not. As they get older the pressure starts to mount to show something when they get called up because younger players are usually pushing them from below. Last year McNabb as a pro rookie had jumped ahead of Brennan on the depth chart because of how he played in his call up. Guys like Weber, Sekera and Myers at younger ages (19 or 20 years old) started making a push for roster spots and seizing their opportunities. That led to other opportunities for them.

Flynn, though older than TJ, is a recent example of a player making the most of an opportunity. Brennan never made much of anything happen offensively in his call up last year or in his games this year. He's also been given sheltered minutes in the NHL because he's not very good defensively. Its on Brennan to force the team to let him keep showing what he's got. He never did that.

I'm not saying he has no future in the NHL. He may very well be a late bloomer. But lets not pretend he is some young kid fresh from juniors we gave up on or never gave a chance. He can't play defense at the NHL level very well and he has yet to show any signs he can do what he did best in the AHL at the NHL level. Which is to create offense and score goals on the PP with his shot. Getting a 5th for that is not that bad.

All of what you are saying is true. And yet, take Weber for example. When he first got an opportunity to play with the big club, he made the most of it. Later, he was a train wreck. And later still, was pretty good again. i.e., he was Good-Suck-Good. But what if he had done it in a different sequence: Suck-Good-Good. In that case, we might have traded him for a 5th. Point is, we might be giving TJ away for a ridicluously low price based on a small sample size. I don't care that much because I never loved him, but I'm not willing to say that he was given enough of a chance for us to really evaluate his NHL potential.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Mike Weber got called up his first year out of junior. Brennan played two AHL seasons before earning a shot in the bigs. Those two years make a world of difference.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So 21 games in the Sabres lineup over 2 seasons .... And some STILL think Brennan didn't get a good look?

Wow :amazed:

He may still develop into something more, sure. He may not.

Fine with this move. All day long.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
All of what you are saying is true. And yet, take Weber for example. When he first got an opportunity to play with the big club, he made the most of it. Later, he was a train wreck. And later still, was pretty good again. i.e., he was Good-Suck-Good. But what if he had done it in a different sequence: Suck-Good-Good. In that case, we might have traded him for a 5th. Point is, we might be giving TJ away for a ridicluously low price based on a small sample size. I don't care that much because I never loved him, but I'm not willing to say that he was given enough of a chance for us to really evaluate his NHL potential.

What?

Couple of things

1) As struck pointed out, Weber was called up his first year out of junior. There weren't high expectations for Weber at that point of development. Similar to McNabb last year.

Brennan was called up for the first time last season in his 3rd season in the AHL. Thats light years of extra development time by comparison to where Weber was. Hell this year Brennan came up after being named a AHL all star in his 4th AHL season ( 6 years out from getting drafted). If he isn't ready to grab the bull by the horns at this point, when the hell will he?

2) To state the obvious, Weber didn't suck when called up. So to wonder what would happen if he had sucked is pretty pointless and irrelevant to Brennan due to the different stages of development.

3) No idea what the relevance of (good-suck-good) -VS- (suck-good-good) is to Brennan anyway since he has never had a good. He's been (meh - suck). Btw a kid struggling in his first call up then doing well in his next two. How exactly does that lead to him getting traded for a 5th? Thats the premise of your suck-good-good theory.

4) We are trading Brennan away based on an enormous sample size. He is in his 6th season of hockey since getting drafted and has yet to make a mark in the NHL.

Again I'm not saying Brennan has zero chance of being a NHL dman. But to this point of his development he has shown little to say he can handle this level.

Last edited:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
5th? Okay, moving on .. if Florida uses him like they used Garrison, maybe they can get some value out of him, but I wouldn't hold my breath .. that's up to Dineen now.

LGBuffalo

Jan 9, 2011
E PA
At first I was a little disappointed with this trade, because it seemed like they gave up on him too quickly. However, after I realized he probably would have been claimed when sent back to Rochester, the fact that they got anything for him is a pretty strong move by Darcy. The other GM's realize Buffalo's situation. They knew that Brennan would have been sent down and that they could have had him as a waiver pick-up. Good on Darcy for finding someone willing to trade an asset for his services.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
He'll never be a productive NHLer.
Wouldn't have cared if he got waived and picked up either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad