Prospect Info: Timothy Liljegren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
he still might not be ready. Sandin was dominant for the Marlies, and Liljegren wasn't. Sandin was getting rave reviews at practices and not Liljegren. Now Sandin is standing out in the preseason. It doesn't mean TL isn't a great prospect, but he had to steal a spot and failed to. Let him hopefully dominate on the Marlies
Liljegren was the better player on the Marlies.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
he still might not be ready. Sandin was dominant for the Marlies, and Liljegren wasn't. Sandin was getting rave reviews at practices and not Liljegren. Now Sandin is standing out in the preseason. It doesn't mean TL isn't a great prospect, but he had to steal a spot and failed to. Let him hopefully dominate on the Marlies
I think the sole reson that Lily doesn't get a spot is because Sandin is better. However,I'm not a Marincin fan ,or a Harpur fan and I'm not impressed with many others...I did like the Gravel lad though(if a stay at home type with some jam is needed) So,I feel that Lily should get a look as well.

Sandin,is obviously ready to see the next level,but as a 5/6 maybe they don't want him in that role...maybe wait till Barrie is gone as it's fore-cast that he cannot re-signed. At any rate it would be interesting to see some new lads play!

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Management isn't seeing it that way currently.
You may be misunderstanding. The poster I quoted said Sandin WAS dominant and basically far better in the AHL. That is true only of his offense. I am not saying Sandin might not do better over the long haul. I grow tired of people's obsession with offense, moreso when we have tons of it. I am also not a fan of appeals to authority, especially in an industry where your hiring has zero to do with ability but how well connected you are. Let's keep in mind, these are the same people who refuse to lean on our guns.

Reactions: illusory

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
There are different paths for every player, and seeing as how Lilj was a first round pick he most certainly will eventually get a call up to see what he’s got.

Sandin has simply been more of a factor this preseason. Yes, Babs loves him and that’s all you really need sometime, while Lilj has simply not been given a chance this preseason. Whether to blame Babs for that or not wouldn’t necessarily be fair as maybe Dubas already told him the long range plan for Lilj is to work every day with Keefe on the Marlies and get 1st pairing usage in every situation, ES PP and PK.

No reason to rush the kid, when injuries have sorta limited him the last couple years, not to mention being behind Rosen last year for big PP minutes.

Personally, from what I’ve seen this preseason he’s been steady and solid both positionally and with the puck on his stick.

It’s possible with our current roster the front office would rather not have a pair of rookies on defence.

Reactions: illusory

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Ever notice how points is the only thing ever brought up when people compare Sandin to Liljegren? Liljegren was the better, more dominant player.
What stats would you like to see? Because in my limited viewings, and I emphasize limited, Sandin had a much better overall game. Physically, smarts, puck moving etc. Not just points, that shouldn't be the gauge here. And this is coming from someone who loved the Liljegren pick and was meh on the Sandin pick. I have high expectations for Liljegren and he was always a project but I wouldn't have expected that he'd need at least another year in the AHL at this point. I thought he'd be in contention for the #6 spot. Right now, hes not even close even with Dermott out. Is he even in the top 10 on the depth chart going into the season?

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
What stats would you like to see? Because in my limited viewings, and I emphasize limited, Sandin had a much better overall game. Physically, smarts, puck moving etc. Not just points, that shouldn't be the gauge here. And this is coming from someone who loved the Liljegren pick and was meh on the Sandin pick. I have high expectations for Liljegren and he was always a project but I wouldn't have expected that he'd need at least another year in the AHL at this point. I thought he'd be in contention for the #6 spot. Right now, hes not even close even with Dermott out. Is he even in the top 10 on the depth chart going into the season?

I think Sandin coming in and looking so poised and comfortable to play the cerebral game he's best at is making Liljegren look much worse than he is. Although Sandin makes most of our defenders look sort of boring, kids incredibly gifted for a late 1st pick.

If Sandin wasn't in the picture I'm sure we'd be content with how Liljegren is progressing and he'd be the one making the team. I think we all hoped Liljegren would show a little of what Sandin has shown by now but he's had his setbacks and will be useful a few years from now I'm sure.

A safe, steady defender is fine, (like a Stralman or Gunnarsson), hopefully Liljegren can continue to improve and become a reliable defender but Sandin has certainly passed him and I don't think many expected it at first, we're sure grateful though!

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Sandin trumps Liljegren on hockey sense alone. This preseason Sandin always seems to have an idea of what he should be doing, where he should be facing and where he should be going next. I'm pretty sure if you put them through some difficult skating and passing drills they'd come out fairly even. Once you've developed the abilities, the next step is in the head.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I said before Sandin is the better offensive player, and Lilly is the better defensive player, and i'm sticking by that.
This was evident in the AHL last season, and for the most part this pre season.
Sandin obviously outplayed Lilly in the pre season, but Babcock never gave Lilly much of a chance. When you take everything into account, Lilly had fine in training camp, and he is not worse then guys like Holl, Harpur, Schmaltz.
If Lilly isn't ready right now, he is pretty close.
Also everyone can we stop with choosing sides on the 2 players. We have 2 potential top 4 defenceman who bring different skillsets. Sandin taking such an unexpected step quickly, doesn't mean Lilly isn't good.
Lilly is developing nicely as well.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
You can't tell me guys like Harpur, Schmaltz, Holl are better then Lilly.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
If we are looking at the depth when healthy,
Rielly
Barrie
Muzzin
Ceci
Dermott
Sandin
Marincin
Lilly

At worst, Lilly is #8.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If we are looking at the depth when healthy,
Rielly
Barrie
Muzzin
Ceci
Dermott
Sandin
Marincin
Lilly

At worst, Lilly is #8.

I would put Lily above Marincin and possibly Sandin depending entirely on usage. Sandin has the highest ceiling

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
i really liked what i saw tonight, his skating was strong and kept up with opponents, he competed well in the d zone and was steady with his decisions and overall play...he can already make passes and little skilled plays around the ice that marincin, schmaltz and harpur cant...hes going back down cause you cant have him sit and not play, but he could be our 6-7 guy later on in the season

Reactions: stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille