Prospect Info: Timothy Liljegren

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I watched alot of Marlie games and although Lily was good, Sandin just looked better. Better poise, skating, passing, etc. He was prone to making more mistakes than Lily though but he was younger and learning to play against men in the AHL.

Liljegren is pretty clearly a better skater than Sandin.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Liljegren made it through the latest round of cuts. He is playing 11 minutes a night and not seeing time in overtime. In my opinion they should send him to play as the #1 D on the Marlies rather than playing him with such limited TOI with the Leafs.

Anyone know how many more cuts to expect, and when?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
If he played his first two years in Sweden vs the way he did he'd be viewed a lot differently

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Liljegren made it through the latest round of cuts. He is playing 11 minutes a night and not seeing time in overtime. In my opinion they should send him to play as the #1 D on the Marlies rather than playing him with such limited TOI with the Leafs.

Anyone know how many more cuts to expect, and when?
He is likely getting cut. Leafs might be keeping 8 defenceman, and maybe 1 extra forward. The roster needs to be finalized by October 1st at 5 PM.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

The Leafs' need to be as close to the cap as possible before putting players on LTIR. Crunching those numbers the most advantageous way possible may result in some players who will be sent down being kept on the roster on day one and some players who will be on the roster being sent down on day one. With those being reversed immediately after.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Based on this training camp, Pronman looks silly putting Lilly as the 5th best prospect.
It didn't help that people kept making false statements of the people who liked Lilly, that they thought he was NHL ready in his 1st season, even though it was never said.

Reactions: Menzinger

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Based on this training camp, Pronman looks silly putting Lilly as the 5th best prospect.
It didn't help that people kept making false statements of the people who liked Lilly, that they thought he was NHL ready in his 1st season, even though it was never said.

Yeah I agree thats too high. He probably just barely cracks the top 10 especially after his peformance last night.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

He was very accurate. Sandin is miles ahead of Lilly. Woll had a good showing. Robertson looked really good at the rookie tournament and is a far better prospect. Bracco is questionable.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He was very accurate. Sandin is miles ahead of Lilly. Woll had a good showing. Robertson looked really good at the rookie tournament and is a far better prospect. Bracco is questionable.
Woll did only face 8 shots so it may be a little shaky to rank him above Lilly as well, but I wouldn't argue against it too much

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011

Bracco ahead of Lilly forsure. Braccos offensive skills are ridiculous.

Lilly has done nothing to improve his stock. Looking like a poor 1st rounder. He'll be surpassed on the Marlies this year and my guess is he wont be the best defenceman.

They havent cut him yet because he clearly has confidence issues. His first pass says it all.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Bracco and Liljegren were my two biggest disappointments of the pre-season. The former was expected, but I wanted more from Lilj. He seems to be a slow starter and the type of player whose quality of play depends heavily on his confidence (moreso than your average player), which is why him making it to the last round of cuts could be beneficial for him mentally. He also looks more stiff than last year which makes me wonder if he invested more time in to strength based training this off-season than usual.

Regardless, I think Liljegren should start the season with the Marlies. A full healthy year as the bonafide #1 D, with increased PP time during Sandin's absence, could prove huge for his development and confidence offensively.

In my opinion he just doesn't make decisions fast enough yet and still has some kinks to iron out of his game. Those issues have almost been eliminated from his play at the AHL level, but they start to resurface against hard forechecking NHL players. He needs a bit more time.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Bracco and Liljegren were my two biggest disappointments of the pre-season. The former was expected, but I wanted more from Lilj. He seems to be a slow starter and the type of player whose quality of play depends heavily on his confidence (moreso than your average player), which is why him making it to the last round of cuts could be beneficial for him mentally. He also looks more stiff than last year which makes me wonder if he invested more time in to strength based training this off-season than usual.

Regardless, I think Liljegren should start the season with the Marlies. A full healthy year as the bonafide #1 D, with increased PP time during Sandin's absence, could prove huge for his development and confidence offensively.

In my opinion he just doesn't make decisions fast enough yet and still has some kinks to iron out of his game. Those issues have almost been eliminated from his play at the AHL level, but they start to resurface against hard forechecking NHL players. He needs a bit more time.

Pretty good analysis here of Liljegren this pre-season. And I appreciate you not throwing him under the bus, but just stating that he needs some time to build up his confidence, which I thought took a hit the last coupe of games.

The decision making is a thing that I've been watching as well. It also causes him to chase in his own end as well. He's still not scared to jump in the rush, which I thought would have been a problem with the decision making, but is good to see.

Reactions: Saint Blue

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I'd be curious to know if management expected him to be around where he is or they were optimistic that he was going to break through this camp.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'd be curious to know if management expected him to be around where he is or they were optimistic that he was going to break through this camp.

If they offered him in the LA King trade, then they arent too high on him. As far as publicly Dubas will not throw him under the bus. I cant see how Dubas thought he would be a call up last year before getting hurt. After this camp, Liljegren doesnt look close at all. I focused alot on him and didnt watch the puck, I watch Liljegren...I saw a player who is confused with everything around him.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If they offered him in the LA King trade, then they arent too high on him. As far as publicly Dubas will not throw him under the bus. I cant see how Dubas thought he would be a call up last year before getting hurt. After this camp, Liljegren doesnt look close at all. I focused alot on him and didnt watch the puck, I watch Liljegren...I saw a player who is confused with everything around him.

Are you sure you're not the one who's confused? He played a safe simple game and made easy safe passes.

Obviously you want more from the guy on the offensive side, but he doesn't look out of place even though he was carrying an ECHL level partner.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Terrific opportunity for Lil to go down and dominate with the Marlies, get his confidence up and knock at the door for the first call up. Ideally, he’s the Marlies top D man, gets a sniff with the big club and comes in ready to win a spot next year...that’s really where he’s either going to turn the corner or at best be a marginal NHL D man. If we get a spate of injuries that could advance things, but realistically next year at camp is where he needs to make the jump.

He has to process the game faster and show more offensive flair. We need to understand he’s still young, let’s see if he can put it all together. We need this prospect to turn out, there‘s really not much that stands out behind him in the system on D.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Are you sure you're not the one who's confused? He played a safe simple game and made easy safe passes.

I do not understand this. It was not happening. Liljegren turned a ton of pucks over. He whiffed on 2 stretch passes this pre season and lost control of the puck several times as he tried to skate with it. His hands are questionable but his hockey sense are what put big doubts over his NHL upside. IF u watch him isolate on him, u can tell what he is thinking by what he is doing. He has 100 thoughts in his head and has no idea which one is right. I think his top ceiling is Connor Carrick.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
I would take Durzi alone over Lily and it's crazy that we also gave up Grundstrom so LA wouldn't take Lily. Fire the scouts who were high on Lily.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I would take Durzi alone over Lily and it's crazy that we also gave up Grundstrom so LA wouldn't take Lily. Fire the scouts who were high on Lily.

Here comes the opinions of people who've never watched Lilijegren outside of this pre-season :sarcasm:

Reactions: illusory

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I do not understand this. It was not happening. Liljegren turned a ton of pucks over. He whiffed on 2 stretch passes this pre season and lost control of the puck several times as he tried to skate with it. His hands are questionable but his hockey sense are what put big doubts over his NHL upside. IF u watch him isolate on him, u can tell what he is thinking by what he is doing. He has 100 thoughts in his head and has no idea which one is right. I think his top ceiling is Connor Carrick.

This may come as a shock but Liljegren was better than Sandin defensively in the Calder Cup playoffs in the spring. His pre-season has been just ok but he got off to a slow start last year too before improving in the second half.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
so it looks like he made the team?? Fantastic.

No way Dubas will let him sit, so we're probably gonna see some sort of rotation to start between him, Sandin and Marincin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad