Prospect Info: Timothy Liljegren

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I thought he played better tonight, going back to the Marlies and playing a ton on the top pair and both special team units with some momentum should get his season off to a strong start

There's talent there, it's just a matter of continuing to develop it

He'll get more offensive opportunity on the Marlies this season with Rosen gone, and potentially with Sandin sticking with the Leafs to start the season.

It's a big year for him to put good habits into the fine details of his defensive game, and then looking how to grow offensively.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He'll get more offensive opportunity on the Marlies this season with Rosen gone, and potentially with Sandin sticking with the Leafs to start the season.

It's a big year for him to put good habits into the fine details of his defensive game, and then looking how to grow offensively.

He should be the D on the 1 PP unit I'd imagine, he should be first D off the bench for the PK as well

Hopefully he kills his usage and gets himself into position to be first call up once injuries occur

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

That would be ideal but I dont see it happening at all. All Ive seen from Liljegren this camp is a player who is having trouble reading the game and its chaos in his head. Liljegren can memorize the system but I dont think he knows when to improvise on that to eliminate danger.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
That would be ideal but I dont see it happening at all. All Ive seen from Liljegren this camp is a player who is having trouble reading the game and its chaos in his head. Liljegren can memorize the system but I dont think he knows when to improvise on that to eliminate danger.

You clearly haven’t been watching. Despite the chaos that Rubins brings into his own end every second shift, Liljegren has been a calming presence. He was very good in today’s game.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

I just don't understand the logic here with Sandin being far more unrefined defensively. It's not even close. Lilj has displayed competent NHL level play and Sandin on offense and puck handling skills. How is it justified that the stable defender that is older whom also can turn on the O if need be gets left out before the higher risk player. I say that stressing, these will be 3rd pairing minutes.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I feel like there's been a lot of chatter about Liljegren having a disappointing camp but IMO he's been quietly solid. Nothing flashy but he's looked like the dependable two-way defenseman that he's sort of reinvented himself as over the past two years. He probably hasn't done enough to make the opening night roster given that he doesn't need waivers (but I can't say any of our third pair RD options have been head and shoulders above him) but I could see him being the first injury call-up or a post-trade-deadline tryout.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Jeffler calling out Simmons is great, but he shouldn't waste his time with him. Steve is a hack and always has been.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Great game today. He needed one after a couple of just decent performances.
Best defenceman on the ice today, but sadly Babcock didn't give him a fair just because of the 1st game. The excuses will come for Babcock, but there is no reason Schmaltz, Holl, and Harpur to get more ice time. He put emphasis on 1st impressions, why is not the way to run things.
If your evaluating the players trying out on defence, the order is
Sandin
Marincin
Lilly
Gravel
Schmaltz
Harpur
and you'd be wrong Stickty

best Dman on the ice last night was Holl, followed closely by Harpur, Schmaltz was a mess btw

Liljegren is a pretty smooth skater, but isn't ready for a full time NHL gig

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
and you'd be wrong Stickty

best Dman on the ice last night was Holl, followed closely by Harpur, Schmaltz was a mess btw

Liljegren is a pretty smooth skater, but isn't ready for a full time NHL gig

Theres honestly no point arguing with him inregards to Lil. He just doesnt see that hes not NHL resdy. He got 14 mins in a preseason game of AHL players.

Once again Ill say he needs to dominate the A before hes even close to getting a spot and he hasnt done that. Sandin has earned one and is miles ahead while being a year younger.

Reactions: therealkoho

beleaf101

Aug 9, 2009
I heard somewhere that Lilly had bonuses in his contract. Could it be with how close we are to the cap there woild be no room for him at this time to be cap compliant. That would make his ice time usage right. Babs is trying to find who he can fit into the line-up to be cap compliant. It can't be Lilly at this time.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I heard somewhere that Lilly had bonuses in his contract. Could it be with how close we are to the cap there woild be no room for him at this time to be cap compliant. That would make his ice time usage right. Babs is trying to find who he can fit into the line-up to be cap compliant. It can't be Lilly at this time.
it may be part of it one supposes, but he hasn't shown he's ready, Sandin has

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
it may be part of it one supposes, but he hasn't shown he's ready, Sandin has

He also hasn't really been given a chance to show that he's ready either. Sandin has been fantastic no doubt but every time he has played well, Babcock rewards him with more ice time and moves him up higher in the lineup. Lilly has been very good IMO and has made absolutely zero big mistakes that would cause him to have his ice time drop or be benched during games. But, Babs has not rewarded him accordingly and given him a bigger platform to show what he has.

What I am taking away from this training camp so far is that 1. Leafs want to intentionally bring Lilly up slowly or 2. Babs just isn't a fan of Lilly (which we know is a thing with Babs and players). Either way, I'm sure soon enough, Dubas is going to force Lilly into the lineup.

One thing I am a fan of and another opinion that may not be popular is the fact that we are still giving Marincin a shot. I know IIHF games are not worth shit in the NHL but Marty seems to legitimately have a whole different gear or 4 that he can get to. And as Babs said, he has all the tools required to be a dominant dman (not an offensive force) and his biggest downfall is lack of confidence. Something that Timmy is also struggling with.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I just don't understand the logic here with Sandin being far more unrefined defensively. It's not even close. Lilj has displayed competent NHL level play and Sandin on offense and puck handling skills. How is it justified that the stable defender that is older whom also can turn on the O if need be gets left out before the higher risk player. I say that stressing, these will be 3rd pairing minutes.

I don't get it either. I would rather leave guys down to learn to play D than O.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Hes almost there.

Has lost a bunch of development due to injuries but if he continues his play from the playoffs last year, hes gonna take Marincins spot real quick. As long as hes healthy, odds are hes on the team by seasons end.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You can say whatever you want. All these guys are reasonably close. If Lil was 6ft5 then he would be on team this year. But he isn't so he has to improve his core strength and be stronger on his skates. Only saw a little of this years camp at Ford but he still has trouble staying on his feet when pressured down low. And he needs to get more confidence in his offensive game which he will get on Marlies PP#1 with Sandin with big club. I still expect he will get some games in this year and should make jump next season.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Just confirming that he has bonuses.

Timothy Liljegren - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

They fall under these categories.

Schedule A bonuses are...

Schedule A bonus thresholds are defined in the CBA as:
  • Ice Time: Top 6 Forward / Top 4 Defenseman
  • Goals: 20 FW / 10 D
  • Assists: 35 FW / 25 D
  • PPG: .73 FW / .49 D
  • Plus/Minus: Top 3
  • Blocked Shots: Top 2 (D only)
  • Making All-Star game
  • Voted ASG MVP
  • Voted to NHL All-Rookie team
What do you think the odds are, that Lily would qualify for any of these, on this team?

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Why did Liljegren not get a fair shake this camp?

Did he show up out of shape or something?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Just confirming that he has bonuses.

Timothy Liljegren - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

They fall under these categories.

Schedule A bonuses are...

Schedule A bonus thresholds are defined in the CBA as:
  • Ice Time: Top 6 Forward / Top 4 Defenseman
  • Goals: 20 FW / 10 D
  • Assists: 35 FW / 25 D
  • PPG: .73 FW / .49 D
  • Plus/Minus: Top 3
  • Blocked Shots: Top 2 (D only)
  • Making All-Star game
  • Voted ASG MVP
  • Voted to NHL All-Rookie team
What do you think the odds are, that Lily would qualify for any of these, on this team?

Zero.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Because Babcock gonna Babcock.

Step 1: bench rookies for even the slightest of mistakes
Step 2: act disappointed that the rookies are playing nervous and not taking risks

Make sure to never say a word if one of your gudpros makes the same mistakes that the rookies get benched for, in fact probably give them some extra PP time to smooth things over.

Reactions: Wings4Life

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Why did Liljegren not get a fair shake this camp?

Did he show up out of shape or something?
Babs likes the Euro type skaters and Sandin fits the bill but I am not he sure he is ready but he's earned 9 reg season games for sure
Lily I know he got better defensively in playoffs last year with Marlies but his offensive development was curtailed by Keefe last year
With Sandin up then Lily will better develop his offensive game with Marlies and I think that is a good thing for him
Remember it is a war not a battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany