Prospect Info: Timothy Liljegren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I'm thinking Sandin plays the first 9 games at LD only and then is sent down to keep him from RFA one year sooner. By that time Dermott should be pretty close.

If we need a bridge between the time Sandin goes down and Dermott comes back, I say we flip Marincin to the left side and give Liljegren a trial until Dermott is back. It'll be good experience for both Sandin and Liljegren who will be regs in 2020/21.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'm thinking Sandin plays the first 9 games at LD only and then is sent down to keep him from RFA one year sooner. By that time Dermott should be pretty close.

If we need a bridge between the time Sandin goes down and Dermott comes back, I say we flip Marincin to the left side and give Liljegren a trial until Dermott is back. It'll be good experience for both Sandin and Liljegren who will be regs in 2020/21.
Sandin should only be sent down if he doesn't look ready after 9 games

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

The cut-off for RFA years is 40-some games. Our best case scenario is for Sandin to play one less than whatever the cut off is. Burn a year of his ELC and leave him with weaker negotiation power, get value out of his play, all without burning any RFA years.

Reactions: The Podium

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Sandin can play 40 games without affecting his RFA status.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

IMO we're at the point where we need to be dressing the best roster. If that means Sandin's contract expires a year earlier than so be it.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The best case scenario for the Leafs is for Sandin to be good enough to play in the NHL all year, and to play him in then NHL all year.

I don't care what he does in October-January, it's not worth burning an RFA year. Give him a few games now, give him a list of things to work on for a few months in the AHL, call him up for the playoff push.

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I don't care what he does in October-January, it's not worth burning an RFA year. Give him a few games now, give him a list of things to work on for a few months in the AHL, call him up for the playoff push.
If the Leafs want to ice their best team, he has to be on it. Sending him down for any other reason than performance would be intentionally icing a weaker lineup when it appears that they are all in this season.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
You can't expect good NHL playoff performance by practicing against ahl quality players.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
IMO Liljegren looks ready.
He's not necessarily been a standout like Sandin,
but he plays a responsible game and his first pass is (the good kind of) nasty.

It doesn't hurt him to send him down again, which they'll obviously do,
But he could easily play a protected role right now by the looks of it.

I'm sure we'll see him eventually, and he'll stick.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
You can't expect good NHL playoff performance by practicing against ahl quality players.

Come on now. I think we all know that the NHL awards the Stanley Cup to the team that has burned the fewest RFA years - because that is super doper important. If the Leafs had of assigned Matthews back to Switzerland instead of letting him play in the NHL as a D+1 surely the NHL would have awarded the Leafs with at least a trip to the second round of the playoffs.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
If the Leafs want to ice their best team, he has to be on it. Sending him down for any other reason than performance would be intentionally icing a weaker lineup when it appears that they are all in this season.

I am sure the player and the rest of the roster will be ecstatic that management is more concerned about not burning an RFA year then icing the best roster.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I am sure the player and the rest of the roster will be ecstatic that management is more concerned about not burning an RFA year then icing the best roster.
isn't being sent back to London one of the things Marner's camp was pissed about? Negotiating with him a year earlier sure might have been nice too

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

We can sleepwalk our way to the playoffs with or without Sandin. Put him in the lineup for the end of the year and the playoffs.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
IMO Liljegren looks ready.
He's not necessarily been a standout like Sandin,
but he plays a responsible game and his first pass is (the good kind of) nasty.

It doesn't hurt him to send him down again, which they'll obviously do,
But he could easily play a protected role right now by the looks of it.

I'm sure we'll see him eventually, and he'll stick.
I agree...Just because Sandin is looking great,doesn't mean Lily isn't ready...play em both for 9

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Is it possible....as crazy as this sounds....is it possible that the team is more knowledgeable about Liljegren's readiness for the NHL than posters on here? I mean I know that is unlikely. But is it at least possible?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I agree...Just because Sandin is looking great,doesn't mean Lily isn't ready...play em both for 9
he still might not be ready. Sandin was dominant for the Marlies, and Liljegren wasn't. Sandin was getting rave reviews at practices and not Liljegren. Now Sandin is standing out in the preseason. It doesn't mean TL isn't a great prospect, but he had to steal a spot and failed to. Let him hopefully dominate on the Marlies

Sep 18, 2009
Is it possible....as crazy as this sounds....is it possible that the team is more knowledgeable about Liljegren's readiness for the NHL than posters on here? I mean I know that is unlikely. But is it at least possible?

No. I could run the team better than Dubi and Babcock

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
he still might not be ready. Sandin was dominant for the Marlies, and Liljegren wasn't. Sandin was getting rave reviews at practices and not Liljegren. Now Sandin is standing out in the preseason. It doesn't mean TL isn't a great prospect, but he had to steal a spot and failed to. Let him hopefully dominate on the Marlies

There was an interview with Keefe (in The Athletic) around February where he said that Liljegren and Sandin would not be moved up until they showed they could dominate at the AHL level. Neither had at that point, but as he pointed out, Dermott had in the games before his call up. In the months after that interview Sandin showed he could dominate at the AHL level. Liljegren still hasn't showed that yet. There was no doubt in my mind that Liljegren would not be in serious contention for a roster spot because of that. I am actually surprised that the team has given him 4 games (counting tomorrow). So the team is showing him a vote of confidence despite him not achieving the conditions to be called up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad