Tribute Timothy Liljegren Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Every time someone's ready to give up on a PMD at such a young age just bring up Duncan Keith.

Guy played like a chicken with his head cut off early in his career (strangely enough kind of like Dermott nowadays) and then out of nowhere started blossoming into a top-5 D in the league.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Every time someone's ready to give up on a PMD at such a young age just bring up Duncan Keith.

Guy played like a chicken with his head cut off early in his career (strangely enough kind of like Dermott nowadays) and then out of nowhere started blossoming into a top-5 D in the league.
Dermott has so many tools, it’s a bummer he hasn’t figured it out yet but the potential is obviously there. Not Kieth potential, but Dermott could still be a very good player in the league for a long time. He’s not even at 150 games played and young defenders development is so much rockier than forwards. Patience will be rewarded with him.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Dermott has so many tools, it’s a bummer he hasn’t figured it out yet but the potential is obviously there. Not Kieth potential, but Dermott could still be a very good player in the league for a long time. He’s not even at 150 games played and young defenders development is so much rockier than forwards. Patience will be rewarded with him.
By 300 games you generally know. By 500 games that is what you got for next 500. We need 2 more defensive guys who have played 500 games and we know what they bring. We can't be guessing or playing the guessing game.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
By 300 games you generally know. By 500 games that is what you got for next 500. We need 2 more defensive guys who have played 500 games and we know what they bring. We can't be guessing or playing the guessing game.
yeah but do we trade kids for this?
All in 100% of the time no matter what leads to gutting the farm for a round 1 exit.

I have had enough of watching players we draft hoisting cups elsewhere .

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
yeah but do we trade kids for this?
All in 100% of the time no matter what leads to gutting the farm for a round 1 exit.

I have had enough of watching players we draft hoisting cups elsewhere .
I would not trade any of them. Keep Rielly sign Muzz and sign 1 more vet. Trade Ceci Barrie and Marty.
Rielly VET
Muzz Holl
Sandin Lily Dermy (move them around Sandin and Dermy can both play either side)
I don't think Dermy looks good with barrie but not sure anybody does TBH.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Yup. If progression were as linear as this board expects, Sandin would be Bobby Orr by 25 years old.

Reality is that there are plateaus in player development, especially with young defensemen. This is the first period in Dermott's career that we've seen some stagnation and half this board is prepared to trade him. He's shown he can dominate a bottom pairing role, we're now just waiting for him to take that next step to the top 4 and he has every tool to do that. I personally think he is going to be one of the most important cogs on this team's blue line moving forward.

If you think Liljegren and Sandin aren't going to experience the same growing pains over the next few years, you're in for a surprise. Its unfortunate that this fanbase hasn't had the opportunity to watch many home grown defensemen develop over the years (historically, even) because the level of impatience is worrisome.

If they resign Muzz and add another RD then Dermott won't be one of the three D they protect in the X draft. His only real shot at staying is if they don't add a RD or go with a one year rental and he switches to the right. That makes a RD of Holl, Lily and Dermott which I don't thing they would gamble on.

I think he has potential but as another poster mentioned, his best fit might have been to replace Muzzin but it isn't shaking out that way. My guess is gone in a deal for a RD or else moved this summer. I don't see him getting a shot at a lot of LD minutes next year to improve his prospects. Does he seems like someone they would trade an asset to Seattle to leave and they take Holl instead? That would be risky asset management unless they are sure he is going to be something.

Last edited:

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
It seems like he's on a minutes limit at around 10-12 minutes. All 3 games since this call up he's been glued to the bench after hitting that mark. BUT in the minutes he has played, he has been outstanding IMO. Kid makes no mistakes and plays defensively responsible hockey. I take him on our 3rd pair over Ceci any day.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Very impressed with him tonight against Arizona. He plays a calm, composed, cerebral game thats been a breath of fresh air when your regular D core is comprised of panic players like Barrie.

His passing is so efficient, it just moves the entire team up ice without a hitch. So far his play at this level has exceeded my expectations. Solid in every aspect.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
It seems like he's on a minutes limit at around 10-12 minutes. All 3 games since this call up he's been glued to the bench after hitting that mark. BUT in the minutes he has played, he has been outstanding IMO. Kid makes no mistakes and plays defensively responsible hockey. I take him on our 3rd pair over Ceci any day.

I can't wait for when Sandin and Lilijegren become a part of our normal top-4D. Exciting to have a core including Rielly/Muzzin/Sandin/Lilijegren/Dermott/Holl + guys like Barrie/future-rentals come in. Muzzin and Holl are key guys though, they're the big, physical D-men that we don't have an abundance of though.

I don't think I've ever witnessed a better puck-moving defensive roster for the Leafs ever.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Liljegren played a fairly quiet game aside from that chaos that resulted in the second Coyotes goal.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
He looks strong and solid out there.
He and Sandin along with Rielly are the future of this team’s defense

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
I'm fine with Keefe lowering his minutes right now. You need to protect him especially in the tight games we played the last 3. It's nice Keefe is finding PK time for him.
The PK time he played today was when Muzzin was in the box. Without Muzzin, your left with Dermott-Holl, Sandin-Liljegren, or Barrie. Do you really want Barrie out there on the PK.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
He looks good. Heck with the beard he looks like a veteran at times. Another calm composed player like Sandin.

Reactions: LeafGrief

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
I'm fine with Keefe lowering his minutes right now. You need to protect him especially in the tight games we played the last 3. It's nice Keefe is finding PK time for him.

He looks smooth out there, glad we didn’t rush him and now he understands the defensive aspect of the game.

Reactions: stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot