Tribute Timothy Liljegren Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Either one could bust or be a stud, but Liljegren looks most likely to become a top pairing dman IMO. Good thing we don't have to choose, but his hockey IQ seems to be sublime. Great defensive awareness, makes the easy/right plays, head always on a swivel, and knows when to pinch.

We are getting close to having a log-jam of defenders, but we need to improve on our top pairing RHD. I don't know if I want to give up on Dermott yet (he looks like he could burst through as a high end top 4 dman any second), but I am curious whether Dermott plays RHD or gets shipped off for an improvement. If they sign Muzzin, there isn't any room for him on the left side.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Tulloch gave the Lilly-Sandin pairing 4 stars today.

It’s been a lot of fun watching the two play together in the NHL. You can tell they’ve played together before; they just seem to know where the other is going to be when they’re going back on a puck with a forechecker on their tail. Some of that comes down to awareness. When you take the time to do a shoulder check before moving the puck, it gives you a better idea of where everyone on the ice is standing.

Plays like that make me wonder if Sandin can become a top-pair defenceman in a few years when he puts everything together and gets a bit stronger. Liljegren’s ceiling looks like it’s going to be lower than his Swedish partner in crime, but with the way he’s been impacting the game in transition, I’m starting to see his potential as a second-pair right defenceman. Crazy thought: Could they be Toronto’s second pair as early as next season?

I don't agree with Lilly's ceiling being lower but I get why people think that.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Tulloch gave the Lilly-Sandin pairing 4 stars today.

It’s been a lot of fun watching the two play together in the NHL. You can tell they’ve played together before; they just seem to know where the other is going to be when they’re going back on a puck with a forechecker on their tail. Some of that comes down to awareness. When you take the time to do a shoulder check before moving the puck, it gives you a better idea of where everyone on the ice is standing.

Plays like that make me wonder if Sandin can become a top-pair defenceman in a few years when he puts everything together and gets a bit stronger. Liljegren’s ceiling looks like it’s going to be lower than his Swedish partner in crime, but with the way he’s been impacting the game in transition, I’m starting to see his potential as a second-pair right defenceman. Crazy thought: Could they be Toronto’s second pair as early as next season?

They could be our 2nd pair as early as next year, but we have to have a few games where we can get them more minutes.

Get up 2-0 or 3-0 early and keep adding on. Liljegren came in under 10 minutes tonight because each goal is so important.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think he's exactly the defenseman that teams would kill to have. Right handed, solid size, mobile, and strong defensively. He's not an amazing offensive player like he looked to be (although hopefully that changes), but he's a very valuable player if he can build on his start and continue to grow

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Great game for Lily tonight. So composed, great movement, very solid defensively.

At least proving he can easily play bottom pairing minutes and be an upgrade on Ceci.

I hope he can start getting more minutes though. He only got 9:45 TOI last night, which is really really low for a defenseman.

Reactions: kb and stickty111

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

I think most people say that based on offense. Lilly is more completely ready now. He's pretty much exactly what we need. Both will likely be huge pieces going forward and I hope Dubas sticks to his guns in refusing to move on from either.

Reactions: stickty111

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Liljegren has a 58.6 CF% through his first 4 games, and 57.14 CF% when he plays with Sandin (32 minutes together).

They've been excellent and very capable on that 3rd pair. Would be nice to get both kids to 16-18 minutes in a few games if we can go up early on teams like Buffalo and Ottawa.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I don't think Liljegren has the "wow" eye popping factor that Sandin has, but from what we've seen so far he's been extremely smooth, solid, and composed. Really, really pleased with his defensive game and transition play, which is literally what we have been praying for from a RHD for a long, long time. If Liljegren improves on his already solid defensive game he's going to be a shutdown workhorse for us. A less physical Muzzin with slightly better passing. Yes please!!

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I don't think Liljegren has the "wow" eye popping factor that Sandin has, but from what we've seen so far he's been extremely smooth, solid, and composed. Really, really pleased with his defensive game and transition play, which is literally what we have been praying for from a RHD for a long, long time. If Liljegren improves on his already solid defensive game he's going to be a shutdown workhorse for us. A less physical Muzzin with slightly better passing. Yes please!!
Lilly is in the mold of a guy like old man Lidstrom/Kaberle. He's a very cerebral who will make the small plays efficiently and 99% of the times. He's not one to really draw attention to his game because he's just so damn smooth.

Offensively he definitely has punch and can run the play but i think that will come with time and development, similar to what he had going in the AHL under Keefe. Keefe and crew really had Lilly locked down as a D first guy in his first two years and even tho Lilly rushed the puck up from time to time, it was out of necessity or he was just taking open ice. Otherwise Lilly would make the smart pass up ice and fall back defensively.

I think we will see him being brought along slowly. The coaching staff will build this kid up and let him grow his confidence and I think in 2 years time we have our future #1 pairing all around D. That seems to be the plan the Leafs have had for him all along.

I'm pretty stoked to see what he's developed into thus far compared to the one scoring turnover against per game trainwreck in the D zone I saw as an 18 year old. Leafs development has fome a hell of a job and I think Lilly is the crown jewel of the system.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Highlight of the night was watching these two kids together, looking good and composed. If they both pan out, man we're set at the back end.

Reactions: kb

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I think he's exactly the defenseman that teams would kill to have. Right handed, solid size, mobile, and strong defensively. He's not an amazing offensive player like he looked to be (although hopefully that changes), but he's a very valuable player if he can build on his start and continue to grow

To me, he honestly looks like Holl but with a brain. Less panic, more composure, more puck skills, better instincts. Holl is just so active and he overplays people where you'd like to see him use his length to get him out of trouble.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Best game for Lily yet ... well done. But let's not forget it was a tired Zona team playing 2nd night of B2B.

Sandin had some struggles with intercepts and pinches last night against faster teams but like all rook's he will learn when and where as he gets more games in.

Next game Lily could play weaker and Sandin has a better game or maybe they both have off nights.

Just remember we are on a steep learning curve here with the kiddie core for next 3 seasons. And that's what we have with our Leafs right now.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
He's looked decent in sheltered minutes so far despite some some roughish looking underlying stats, probably due to small sample size.

5v5 adjusted%:

CF%: 53.15
SF%: 47.36
SCF%: 54.17
HDCF%: 35.12
xGF%: 39.86
GF%: 0 (0 for, 2 against)

He's still getting his feet wet though and looks a bit nervous at times but he also looks ready for the jump IMO.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
He's still getting his feet wet though and looks a bit nervous at times but he also looks ready for the jump IMO.

Just keep giving Liljegren games and let him get use to the NHL and then slowly keep raising his ice time to about 15 mins or close to it and see if he can handle it. If both he and Sandin can play solid, mostly mistake free defense 15 mins or so a night that would help reduce the workload for the top 4 which would be nice.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Liljegren has a 58.6 CF% through his first 4 games, and 57.14 CF% when he plays with Sandin (32 minutes together).

They've been excellent and very capable on that 3rd pair. Would be nice to get both kids to 16-18 minutes in a few games if we can go up early on teams like Buffalo and Ottawa.

I think they can both develop into top 4 roles as early as next season.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
it seems like his role has been to anchor that pairing to let Sandin have a little more leash, his decisions have looked conservative to me so far. Similar to Dermott with Barrie imo. That may not be a bad thing over time, if he can handle strong competition and big minutes doing that, he could be the partner that Rielly has needed for a long time....and yes I realize that's a lot of projection, but the mold that he's been playing in isn't a bad on for our need imo

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Agreed, that "nor worth it" comment is ridiculous. Not worth it having him play in the NHL and help us make the playoffs? Really?

More importantly for Liljegren, if he plays the rest of the season I guarantee you his minutes will ramp up.

It is nice not having to call a kid up and force him to play big minutes right away (Schenn and Aulie come to mind). He should be up to 15 mins soon and will get more minutes when ohr offense gets rolling again and we get some leads.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
More importantly for Liljegren, if he plays the rest of the season I guarantee you his minutes will ramp up.

It is nice not having to call a kid up and force him to play big minutes right away (Schenn and Aulie come to mind). He should be up to 15 mins soon and will get more minutes when ohr offense gets rolling again and we get some leads.
Exactly. People will literally find anything to complain about.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I am a big fan of Liljegren. Never understood the bad press he was getting. Every time I watched him with the Marlies in the play-offs last year he was great. Never understood why Dubas wanted to include him over Durzi in the Muzzin trade (if true).

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I am a big fan of Liljegren. Never understood the bad press he was getting. Every time I watched him with the Marlies in the play-offs last year he was great. Never understood why Dubas wanted to include him over Durzi in the Muzzin trade (if true).
It wasn't true. Friedman made it sound like he did but it wasn't like that.
Here is what likely happened. Kings asked for Lilly, and Dubas said then give me more. Kings didn't expand the offer so they settled on Durzi. Friedman then made it sound that Dubas wanted to include Lilly in that deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad