Tribute Timothy Liljegren Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
He played a great game. Not sure which period it was-2nd I believe. He was defending the rush against Armia and lost position as he was driving the net-couldn’t knock him off the puck. Thankfully his defensive partner was in a better position, he read this and took the trailing guy breaking up the pass from Armia to him and lead to a breakout the other way.

this whole easing him in is just garbage IMO, he is light years better than Ceci. Maybe he isn’t ready for 20 mins plus but give this kid 14-17 fer sure.

Last edited:

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Barrie and Kapanen for Manson

I'd way rather Johnsson or Kerfoot instead of Kappy, but yes. Manson is more of what we need. Barrie has been a failed experiment. He's a massive liability out there. At this point I wouldn't resign him for 3 mil. Best of luck to him in free agency. Would much rather trade him though than have him walk for nothing

Reactions: Dermott The Frog

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Like people have said, he looks visibly nervous. But he makes the right plays and he even saved a goal yesterday with an active stick. But the play that impressed me the most was the 2-1 where he was chasing his man, and he chased him to his defense partner and then tailed off to cover the passing lane of the second guy which resulted in a non shot. Very very smart and something I enjoyed tremendously.
Yeah I saw that too. When it happened, Hughson said he got out muscled, and then I thought, I think he let him go on purpose as he read his teammate had him, so he went to cover the trailer and was able to clear the rebound.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Like people have said, he looks visibly nervous. But he makes the right plays and he even saved a goal yesterday with an active stick. But the play that impressed me the most was the 2-1 where he was chasing his man, and he chased him to his defense partner and then tailed off to cover the passing lane of the second guy which resulted in a non shot. Very very smart and something I enjoyed tremendously.

This is the play against Armia that I wrote about, fantastic read. This is what smart D men do.

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
Think this kid is going to surpass Dermott on the depth chart pretty soon. He's not quite as fast as a north-south skater as Dermott, but he probably has better lateral skating. More importantly, he thinks the game much better, whereas Dermott tries to outskate his problems the majority of the time.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Think this kid is going to surpass Dermott on the depth chart pretty soon. He's not quite as fast as a north-south skater as Dermott, but he probably has better lateral skating. More importantly, he thinks the game much better, whereas Dermott tries to outskate his problems the majority of the time.

Not sure how u can say that given that Liljegren has played 3 NHL games. Also thats the biggest issue ive had with Liljegren in the last 3 years, his decision making has been wild. He would do something so head scratching that it would really make u wonder about his upside.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
He looks solid if a little afraid to make a mistake, which is understandable

I think Keefe needs to start giving the bottom pair a few more minutes if at all possible

The top 4 is starting to bend

You can't play Holl and Barrie 50 minutes a game and Liljegren 10. It won't work. Based on circumstance he has to play more.

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
Not sure how u can say that given that Liljegren has played 3 NHL games. Also thats the biggest issue ive had with Liljegren in the last 3 years, his decision making has been wild. He would do something so head scratching that it would really make u wonder about his upside.

True, but that's just been my observations from three games and WJC games. I feel like Lily has that tendency to make a boneheaded giveaway once in a while, but his overall game is fluid and cerebral rather than depending on his physical tools.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Lastly with the exception of Makar it’s not like any D taken before him has had steady minutes in the NHL. He is progressing just as he should, got to think it didn’t help having Mono his draft year-brutal to deal with then high ankle sprain which most people say is worse than breaking your leg.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I'd way rather Johnsson or Kerfoot instead of Kappy, but yes. Manson is more of what we need. Barrie has been a failed experiment. He's a massive liability out there. At this point I wouldn't resign him for 3 mil. Best of luck to him in free agency. Would much rather trade him though than have him walk for nothing

I disagree. With Rielly, Barrie was producing as we'd hoped and wasn't killing us in the D zone because their usage was driving play, leaving the defensive chores to Muzz and Holl. When he was playing under Babcock he was being asked to play a game he wasn't suited for, and while paired with Muzzin (for the most part) his defensive shortcomings were exposed. Currently, with Dermott, at 25 min/night, the same weaknesses in his D game get exposed due to overuse and his partner being tasked too high in the line-up, or with Muzzin when Muzz is also tired as heck playing 24/5 min a night. If you can acquire a Manson (or equivalent) do it. A Manson/Barrie/Holl trio on the right side allows each to play to their strengths and appropriate minutes.

Btw, we could really use a healthy Rielly back in our line-up.

Reactions: kb and stickty111

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Lastly with the exception of Makar it’s not like any D taken before him has had steady minutes in the NHL. He is progressing just as he should, got to think it didn’t help having Mono his draft year-brutal to deal with then high ankle sprain which most people say is worse than breaking your leg.

ECPpn2C.png

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
That's exceedingly bad, although Holl looked better today thank God

Liljegren calmed down as the game went on i thought and even though he looked rushed with the puck on his stick early you could see his defensive IQ when he didn't have it

That's very positive

As for the rest of it, I think we need to trade for somebody because Keefe doesn't trust the kids, Barrie is a complete moron and Dermott looks like he's about to have some sort of a nervous breakdown

Muzzin and Holl can't do all the heavy lifting and play 25 minutes a night, they just can't
I don't mind Barrie as much as others, but with Rielly and Ceci out, and running a young pair as a result, Barrie is getting more responsibility and looks terrible at it.
Before these injuries, he was getting sheltered offensive usage and was pretty good at it. Now he is struggling with more usage as expected. The problem is we don't really have much of a choice. Just need to have Sandin and Lilly keep up their play, and Keefe will have to increase their minutes.

Reactions: Kiwi

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
A blessing in disguise that they get a chance to look at him prior to the deadline.

Will help plan more longterm to see what he does the rest of the way.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I don't mind Barrie as much as others, but with Rielly and Ceci out, and running a young pair as a result, Barrie is getting more responsibility and looks terrible at it.
Before these injuries, he was getting sheltered offensive usage and was pretty good at it. Now he is struggling with more usage as expected. The problem is we don't really have much of a choice. Just need to have Sandin and Lilly keep up their play, and Keefe will have to increase their minutes.

I don't think he's got much choice but to start giving those kids more minutes

Barrie and Dermott is starting to get really exposed with the increased competition and ice time

It's either trade for somebody who can help, get healthy (that's a ways off) or start changing up TOI and QOC for the guys that are struggling

Reactions: stickty111

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Trade Barrie

Muzzin Holl
? Ljiligren
Sandin. Dermot

Trade Barrie someone will give us a 1st
Trade Johnson + asset from the Barrie trade
Dermot not to crazy about him either
We're not going anywhere with Holl on our top pairing

Also Dermott has been our second best defenseman defensively since he came into the league so I don't know why you'd want to trade him

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
He played a great game. Not sure which period it was-2nd I believe. He was defending the rush against Armia and lost position as he was driving the net-couldn’t knock him off the puck. Thankfully his defensive partner was in a better position, he read this and took the trailing guy breaking up the pass from Armia to him and lead to a breakout the other way.

this whole easing him in is just garbage IMO, he is light years better than Ceci. Maybe he isn’t ready for 20 mins plus but give this kid 14-17 fer sure.

I remember this well, they played a perfect switch after lilly got caught flat footed. Its obvious they have played a significant amount together. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the coaching staff showed this clip to the rest of the defense.

Reactions: Funk21

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Honestly, we shouldn't be stressing about this season to hard... at this point if we are struggling this hard for a playoff spot we are not much of a contender. Which is why Dubas isn't really targeting a rental this year.

Rielly - Manson
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin - Lilegren

Trade Dermott + + for Manson, Expose Holl in expansion draft and yeah.. Gives Sandin time to develop and same with Liljegren.

horner

May 22, 2007
We're not going anywhere with Holl on our top pairing

Also Dermott has been our second best defenseman defensively since he came into the league so I don't know why you'd want to trade him
Not this year.
He is a giveaway machine like Barrie .
Maybe not starting the season on time f***ed him up .
Was expecting alot more

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Dermott is interesting. I think he wants to show his offensive game due to RFA in the summer but his partner is not good enough to cover for him.
If he takes less risk in the Ozone and focus more on D than when to pinch, he will be much better player than what he is showing.
I guess he might be piss that Sandin is getting PP2 time and he is not. That’s something Keefe and even Muzzin have to talk to him about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad