Tribute Timothy Liljegren Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
i'm pretty sure this is right, but if it's not, correct me:

if you're right-handed and you want more control, you shoot left (i.e. your right hand is at the top and left hand is at the bottom)

if you're right-handed and you want more power, you shoot right (i.e. your left hand is at the top and right hand is at the bottom)

if you're left-handed and you want more control, you shoot right (i.e. your left hand is at the top and right hand is at the bottom)

if you're left-handed and you want more power, you shoot left (i.e. your right hand is at the top and left hand is at the bottom)

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
i'm pretty sure this is right, but if it's not, correct me:

if you're right-handed and you want more control, you shoot left (i.e. your right hand is at the top and left hand is at the bottom)

if you're right-handed and you want more power, you shoot right (i.e. your left hand is at the top and right hand is at the bottom)

if you're left-handed and you want more control, you shoot right (i.e. your left hand is at the top and right hand is at the bottom)

if you're left-handed and you want more power, you shoot left (i.e. your right hand is at the top and left hand is at the bottom)

I mean, i'm left handed, and I couldn't imagine ever shooting left. I think it would feel so alien. But then I box orthodox, so I guess that suits too, as my bottom hand would have the power and left accuracy anyhow.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I would like to see something that Liljegren is a workhorse in the gym. I’ve never seen it. He can skate like a dream and has really worked hatd on his game but i have never seen anything that he wants to get bigger. He has to get stronger and bigger. Thats the evolution missing. Bigger and more agressive in both zones.

He needs to show himself and seems to passive. Thats not a knock. Its just that he is a bit to classy calm and cool. He needs some bite in his game to rile himself up.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Lily is a very good D prospect.
As in still a prospect. Not to be counted on to start the season for any reason.
8th D on the depth charts is about right.
It kind of looks like that. He’s a bit meek by nature. He needs some growl in his game on the ice. Meek is cool but doesn’t get you used or noticed.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
I would like to see something that Liljegren is a workhorse in the gym. I’ve never seen it. He can skate like a dream and has really worked hatd on his game but i have never seen anything that he wants to get bigger. He has to get stronger and bigger. Thats the evolution missing. Bigger and more agressive in both zones.

He needs to show himself and seems to passive. Thats not a knock. Its just that he is a bit to classy calm and cool. He needs some bite in his game to rile himself up.
He's 6'0 and 200lbs, how much bigger can he get before it slows him down.

edit - 192lbs

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He's 6'0 and 200lbs, how much bigger can he get before it slows him down.

edit - 192lbs

I would like to see him jump out for himself more. Great team player actually and great at simplifying his game for development purposes. He needs a confidence explosion by going out of his comfort zone it seems to me. 10 pounds heavier and knowing every player in the Nhl is trying to take food off his table mentality would be nice. Thats just the truth. Nice doesn’t pay the bills in the nhl.

Gauthier could think about that also. Gauthier could likely make double his salary if he added a nasty element to his game. Just saying.

Reactions: Ciao

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No you don't. Your lower hand is for power. Go take a stick and try and stick handle with 1 hand. You will have a much easier time with your top hand over trying to stick handle with your lower hand only.
You have it backwards.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I mean, i'm left handed, and I couldn't imagine ever shooting left. I think it would feel so alien. But then I box orthodox, so I guess that suits too, as my bottom hand would have the power and left accuracy anyhow.
A 4 year old kid has no idea about any of this stuff. His dad gives him a stick and that's it. And I have never seen a kid switch hands in hockey yet. You just get familiar with it and it sticks. I write with right hand. Throw baseball/football with left hand. Play hockey as a lefty. Golf as a righty.

Reactions: GBLeaf

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
A 4 year old kid has no idea about any of this stuff. His dad gives him a stick and that's it. And I have never seen a kid switch hands in hockey yet. You just get familiar with it and it sticks. I write with right hand. Throw baseball/football with left hand. Play hockey as a lefty. Golf as a righty.
Know idea how I turned out doing everything from the right side.
My father was wrote, threw, played hockey and golf all left handed.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Know idea how I turned out doing everything from the right side.
My father was wrote, threw, played hockey and golf all left handed.
Same. Except my father grew up in the era where they rapped your knuckles with a yardstick for writing left handed, so he was forced to write with his right hand.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Same. Except my father grew up in the era where they rapped your knuckles with a yardstick for writing left handed, so he was forced to write with his right hand.
Not sure how he managed to stay a lefty. He was pretty mean so he probably whacked them back.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
My nephew writes with both hands,my uncle was a ambidextrous also and played softball fast pitch as a pitcher. Was funny to watch tournaments start and he throws first pitch left hand and next pitch right hand lol. He didn’t wear a glove. The unc is gone but he was awesome.
My brother got called in to the school by my nephews teacher because he was writing with different slants in his workbooks and the teacher didn’t like it. So she told my brother she wants my nephew to write with one hand or the other.

He asked if he could borrow her pen and piece of paper when she was done her speech. She gave it to him and he asked if she could just sing her name on the paper for him and she did. Then he asked her to just do it with her other hand and she said ,”well I can’t “ he said “ well my son can” dropped the pen on the desk,smiled at her and walked out without another word lol. :)

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think this was a school thing back then as my dad told me about this too. Funny thing is he can't even attempt writing left anymore. So it becomes a learned behaviour. Kinda like a kid with a hockey stick.

Reactions: kb

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.

You sound like me, except I throw a baseball with my left and would throw a football with my right. I guess everyone is a bit different. But I can't imagine a kid picking up a stick and then being told to switch hands later down the line.

I do remember an odd story with a retired footballer Morten Gamst Pedersen, who I think was right-footed until he was an early teen, then did something like broke his leg and switched foot and realised his left was actually much better than his right so he stuck with it. He had a fantastic strike with his left too.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Not sure how he managed to stay a lefty. He was pretty mean so he probably whacked them back.
He ended up being able to write perfectly with both hands. But he defaulted to right - where he had the most practice. He was 6'4" and 240+ in high school, so it only happened early when he was a lil guy in public school.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
My wife's dad was a centre fielder. batted left handed but threw right handed. He told his first manager as a kid from Penn that he wanted to swing righty but they told him he was too fast and he needed to get to first base on a bunt. So he batted left and later after he finished playing played golf as a lefty. and he found it weird to bat righty. he tried to switch hit at penn state as a senior but it failed and played pro ball as a lefty.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I shoot left hockey,golf right ;) if i had to stick handle a driver it would be left ha. The only thing i have to stick handle around on the golf course is not getting to hammered. I just bought my first clubs last year

These Taylormade were on sale for almost free and i got a awesome putter for my Birthday. I look really good but I’m not and like it that way lol

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I shoot left hockey,golf right ;) if i had to stick handle a driver it would be left ha. The only thing i have to stick handle around on the golf course is not getting to hammered. I just bought my first clubs last year
Me too after my cigar and 5-10 beer that's it for me on hitting it straight ... and i don't like getting citations for peeing but afraid to admit it almost cost me everything once

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018

This guy in the tweet says Lilly took a step forward this season and can see him in the top 8 on the Leafs D...Not really a vote of confidence, that's Marincin/pressbox territory.

Lilly will have a hard time staying with the big club until he can play with more fire and confidence, he plays too careful, nervous and ineffective currently. I have faith he figures it out but those aren't easy hurdles to jump. Rosen is the better player as of now and I believe Lehtonen will be better than both.

I think MGMT would rather Lilly get top minutes in the AHL again and play a few of our lefties on the right side.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
This guy in the tweet says Lilly took a step forward this season and can see him in the top 8 on the Leafs D...Not really a vote of confidence, that's Marincin/pressbox territory.

Lilly will have a hard time staying with the big club until he can play with more fire and confidence, he plays too careful, nervous and ineffective currently. I have faith he figures it out but those aren't easy hurdles to jump. Rosen is the better player as of now and I believe Lehtonen will be better than both.

I think MGMT would rather Lilly get top minutes in the AHL again and play a few of our lefties on the right side.

It's funny, every time Lilly enters a new league the biggest concern is his confidence and the biggest criticism is he plays to careful. Every time...

I think he just needs to settle in and hell be fine.

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It's funny, every time Lilly enters a new league the biggest concern is his confidence and the biggest criticism is he players to careful. Every time...

It just kills me how we need to beat down our young d ... it never ever used to be like this in history of hockey with d cores ... it is only our Leafs d core where too many of us are all over them like a bad stink ... if he develops over next 2-3 years back and forth he will be fine ... key thing is his 28-35 years where d are in their prime

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
It's funny, every time Lilly enters a new league the biggest concern is his confidence and the biggest criticism is he players to careful. Every time...

Yea those are the criticisms because they are true about the player and I also said I have faith he figures it out. You don't see me saying Sandin has questionable processing IQ because it's also obvious he's ahead of most in that regard. Sandin plays smooth and poised with almost unshakable confidence whereas Lilly plays the opposite. It was an issue before going playing for the big club and it will only be compounded playing in the pressure-cooker. He didn't play awful in his 11 games with the Leafs but he was a -5 and was sort of just a body out there, a step behind for the most part. Until he can prove he's gotten over those issues, it will be a fair and accurate criticism of his game, especially because he was a 1st rounder and the guy we drafted the year after is looking better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad