Tribute Timothy Liljegren Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Liked his last game. Some pretty crisp passes, didn’t get out muscled. They guy is built like the Beast from X-men, he should be bouncing guys, but that will come.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Liljegren needs to be in the NHL and to me makes perfect sense to pair him with Muzzin and have Holl with Sandin, If Liljegren isn't given his shot and not just a game or 2 I hope they do right and trade the kid, he's too good to be wasted in the AHL
Agreed, particularly if a guy like Brennan Menell makes the team over him. If that happens I wouldn't be upset with Liljegren if it comes out he quietly asked for a trade.

He's a better all around D than Sandin is and Dermott hasn't proven that he's anything more than a #5, #6 Dman. Liljegren has earned his stripes on the Marlies and is ready to step in

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Agreed, particularly if a guy like Brennan Menell makes the team over him. If that happens I wouldn't be upset with Liljegren if it comes out he quietly asked for a trade.

He's a better all around D than Sandin is and Dermott hasn't proven that he's anything more than a #5, #6 Dman. Liljegren has earned his stripes on the Marlies and is ready to step in
Maybe it will be Muzzy and Lilly, and Holl fighting for a job with Menell?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I feel like at this point, as long as he doesnt have a disastrous camp, I feel like you just gotta have him start the season as the 3rd RD to let him show you what hes got. This guy is a former first round pick, entering his D+5, and at that point you gotta give him the opportunity to show what he can accomplish in the NHL. Hes spent 4 years in the AHL already. Let him sink or swim.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Anyone who has watched Lilly in a significant capacity should know that his showing on Saturday was nothing out of the ordinary. Very smart player, makes simple yet effective plays on the puck and is a lot stronger than probably what he is given credit for.

I thought he was excellent in Saturdays game. I loved him with Muzz TBH. It just looked so right to me

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
He had a solid game on Saturday, I wouldn’t say he was outstanding. He did look better than Sandin though.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Absolutely free Lili.
It seems easy enough to me to rotate the right hand defenceman with Muzzin. Lily for the first two periods, Justin Holl in the third if you need more of a veteran defensive presence.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
He got looked off on a few plays in the o-zone. Once guys realize he can be a game changer offensively they’ll start running pucks through him.

If people liked what they saw on Saturday, which they should, they’ll be surprised because he’s still only showing pieces of his game. Has more to give.
could not agree more. Lots of confident offensive zone skill that he has yet to display at the highest level. I really don't think it has anything to do with an inability to do it at the NHL level, but more so feeling comfortable enough in his role to make those type of plays.

I said it earlier in the summer, that if KD and Sheldon want to see the best from Timmy, they need to give him the rope to make a mistake or 2. The exact same leeway they've given Dermott and Sandin.

Timmy has always seemed to be 1 mistake away from a demotion for whatever reason. That needs to change this year IMO. If we give him the confidence, he will be a huge asset for us for a long long time

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He got looked off on a few plays in the o-zone. Once guys realize he can be a game changer offensively they’ll start running pucks through him.

If people liked what they saw on Saturday, which they should, they’ll be surprised because he’s still only showing pieces of his game. Has more to give.
I think the confidence offensively will take some time to come in the NHL. It might follow his AHL path.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
He's a bottom pair defender right now, needs more NHL games.

In a year or two will be a top 4 RHD. Offence holding him back from ever being a top pair RHD.

Last edited:

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
He's a bottom pair defender right now, needs more NHL games.

In a year or two will be a top 4 RHD. Offence holding him back from ever being a top pair RHD.
You don't need to be an offensive guy to be top pairing. Look at Vlasic, Brodie, Slavin, Daley. As long as you can handle big minutes against top oppositions and effectively move the puck out of your zone. Lilly has enough skill and transition ability to possibly be a 30+ point guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad