Tribute Timothy Liljegren Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Dermott or Kerfoot should be the cap casualties to make sure we have room for both Sandin and Liljegren on the team. They are that important moving forward since Holl and a few others might not be here as early as the trade deadline.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Dermott or Kerfoot should be the cap casualties to make sure we have room for both Sandin and Liljegren on the team. They are that important moving forward since Holl and a few others might not be here as early as the trade deadline.

I have always wanted to see him given a fair stretch, and be allowed to make mistakes without every one of those mistakes defining who he will ever be.

Patience would be a great gift for many.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I think tomorrow's practice lines and the game lineup Monday will indicate where Lilly will be. Keefe's interview gave the indication that the lineups will be different for the back to back, which tells me a regular kind of lineup will be used in one of the games. Lilly has done more then enough to make the team even as the 7th d man. I know performance bonuses are hurting him, but Dubas needs to figure out a way to get him on the team. He also gives them an extra penalty killer because aside from the regulars, we don't really have another one if needed.

Also Dubas was on Overdrive yesterday and said Sandin and Liljegren have had great camps. He said it's good competition for those two. McGran had an article today talking about how these 2 are always supporting each other despite them fighting for the same spot. They are good friends
These 2 things tell me Liljegren and Sandin are fighting for the 6th spot. If this is true, then one gets the 6th spot and the other should get #7.

Last edited:

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I think tomorrow's practice lines and the game lineup Monday will indicate where Lilly will be. Keefe's interview gave the indication that the lineups will be different for the back to back, which tells me a regular kind of lineup will be used in one of the games. Lilly has done more then enough to make the team even as the 7th d man. I know performance bonuses are hurting him, but Dubas needs to figure out a way to get him on the team. He also gives them an extra penalty killer because aside from the regulars, we don't really have another one if needed.

Also Dubas was on Overdrive yesterday and said Sandin and Liljegren have had great camps. He said it's good competition for those two. McGran had an article today talking about how these 2 are always supporting each other despite them fighting for the same spot. They are good friends
These 2 things tell me Liljegren and Sandin are fighting for the 6th spot. If this is true, then one gets the 6th spot and the other should get #7.

Nah, whoever loses out (it should be Sandin at this point) should and will go to the Marlies. Play as their #1 Dman I all situations and continue to grow instead of them either not getting enough minutes or having to rotate the dmen constantly.

There will be injuries and/or somebody will start to play poorly and they'll get their shot.

Might need that 7th dman spot to be used as a 13th forward spot instead depending on if we sign Ho-Sang and don't want to lose anybody to waivers.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Holl? He's signed for 2 more years.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Liljegren has made better decisions with the puck this camp than in previous, he is keeping it simple which is what he needs to do. His style of game at this point, he will need to continue to get stronger to win board battles, or get smarter using his stick. He can over pursue and too often will end up on the ice behind his own net. His backward skating is very, very good. I think they need to rotate Liljegren in for 10 games out of the first 20 and get a long look.

Reactions: geo25

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
TL is the Leafs most important ‘new blood’ player on the team. If he can cut it with Muzzin that frees up Holl to play with Dermott or Sandin, offering the team at least the equal of last year’s D corp, and quite possibly better.

I don't think better. You couldn't have asked for a better #6 in Bogosian.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019

I’d be fine with him starting as our #7 dman. He’s gotta earn his keep, but they should give him as many opportunities as possible.

It was obvious that 2019-2020 was a disaster call up. He wasn’t ready and our team, especially goaltending was really imploding during those 11 games. He made dumb plays and turned the puck over a lot.

Last year in his 2 games he looked more calm and composed, he looked solid 5v5 and on the Pk but again it’s only 2 games, he wasn’t given enough games to make a mark and leave an impact on the organization.

I’m hoping he can get minimum 30 games so he can really show who he is, he needs to be given a bit of leeway to make a mistake or two. He isn’t going to get any confidence if he plays the game knowing that he’s 1 mistake away from a bench in/scratch. I still believe there’s a top 4 dman, and I’m leaning more towards a #3 in him somewhere, we just have to unlock him and help him reach that potential.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Dermott, Kerfoot, Engvall and even Holl could be cap related casualties depending on how players develop behind them.

Reactions: crump

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
With how much better Liljegren has been than his peers, he deserves a full-time roster spot for 6 games minimum.

I'm really beginning to suspect there's some bias management/coaching has against him vs Dermott and Sandin.
They are all close. Dermott has more experience. Its lilly/Sandin playing the 6/7 spots by looks of it

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I’d be fine with him starting as our #7 dman. He’s gotta earn his keep, but they should give him as many opportunities as possible.

It was obvious that 2019-2020 was a disaster call up. He wasn’t ready and our team, especially goaltending was really imploding during those 11 games. He made dumb plays and turned the puck over a lot.

Last year in his 2 games he looked more calm and composed, he looked solid 5v5 and on the Pk but again it’s only 2 games, he wasn’t given enough games to make a mark and leave an impact on the organization.

I’m hoping he can get minimum 30 games so he can really show who he is, he needs to be given a bit of leeway to make a mistake or two. He isn’t going to get any confidence if he plays the game knowing that he’s 1 mistake away from a bench in/scratch. I still believe there’s a top 4 dman, and I’m leaning more towards a #3 in him somewhere, we just have to unlock him and help him reach that potential.

His turnover rate during his stint in 19-20, was lower than every other d-man on the team that year, that played at least 10 games - with the exception of Sandin & Ceci, who averaged, .011 less giveaways per game. He was not great overall, but he was primarily played with Sandin - which, if I recall, came at a time where Rielly and/or Muzzin were out that year.

His play in 20-21, where he was with Dermott or Muzzin, even in a small sample, as well as his play thus far in camp - and the fact that he's pretty much done all he's needed to in the AHL - it boggles my mind as what else he needs to show to get an extended look.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
With how much better Liljegren has been than his peers, he deserves a full-time roster spot for 6 games minimum.

I'm really beginning to suspect there's some bias management/coaching has against him vs Dermott and Sandin.
I don’t even see the hype for dermott. He won’t develop part a bottom pairing defencemen. He just doesn’t think the game in a way to be anything more than that, Liljegren this year can be equal or worse. I don’t think he will be worse though. Management needs to get their shit together and stop playing politics and just icing the best team for now and the future

Last edited:
Reactions: IPS

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I don't think better. You couldn't have asked for a better #6 in Bogosian.
While Bogosian was the least frustrating bottom pair guy we've had in a while, If Liljegren can play well enough to bump Holl down to the 3rd our D group could be dominant.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I don’t even see the hype for dermott. He won’t develop part a bottom pairing defencemen. He just doesn’t think the game in a way to be anything more than that, Liljegren can be equal or worse. I don’t think he will be worse though. Management needs to get their shit together and stop playing politics and just icing the next team for now and the future
Dermott is precisely the same player today as he was when he debut'd in January 2018. Literally no measurable progress made in his game whatsoever. And what's scary is that it appears Sandin is going down this same road, minus getting to play as a regular in the NHL (even worse).

He is the definition of an expendable piece but management is hell-bent on having him as a permanent.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
They are all close. Dermott has more experience. Its lilly/Sandin playing the 6/7 spots by looks of it
They are close, yes. Dermott is the one with 230 games of NHL experience. He's had his shot, time for him to move aside.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Dermott is precisely the same player today as he was when he debut'd in January 2018. Literally no measurable progress made in his game whatsoever. And what's scary is that it appears Sandin is going down this same road, minus getting to play as a regular in the NHL (even worse).

He is the definition of an expendable piece but management is hell-bent on having him as a permanent.
Dermott is probably worse than he was when he first started, and it seems like the team agrees. He played 16 minutes a game in 2018, down to 13 minutes a game last year

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Unless Liljegren can somehow change who he was drafted by, he won't be evaluated here properly.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Thats been pretty obvious. I was hoping it was wrong but today's lines prove it.
Lilly was put in a role to improve defence, and PP time was taken away. Sandin who is a way worse defender was gift wrapped PP time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad