Tribute Timothy Liljegren Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Looks like, once again, Toronto isn't giving Liljegren a chance to make the team and will only have a few preseason games to show off what he can do. Have to winder if he will request a trade as his contract ends this year (2021-22) edit: yes I know he will be a RFA

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Looks like, once again, Toronto isn't giving Liljegren a chance to make the team and will only have a few preseason games to show off what he can do. Have to winder if he will request a trade as his contract ends this year (2021-22) edit: yes I know he will be a RFA

Actually, I think Liljegren is going to be in competition for a spot.

He'll appreciate earning it over having it handed to him.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

On overdrive Dubas was asked which prospects he thinks can come in and help out and he mentioned Robertson and Anderson and didn't mention Lilly at all.

Aus34Matt

Dec 10, 2017
On overdrive Dubas was asked which prospects he thinks can come in and help out and he mentioned Robertson and Anderson and didn't mention Lilly at all.
It's because they either think Liljegren is not yet ready or he's not even an afterthought.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Doesn't mean anything. He was likely talking about forwards. Dubas mentioned before the draft Liljegren will fight for a spot.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
These D man signings are AHL signings. The player we got in trade is just competition. If Lilly has a good camp, he's on the team.

Reactions: uncleben

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
End of the day if he's in the try out Toronto has given him a chance. What you're saying is they should ope a roster spot for him and hope he floats.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Mirtle said yesterday the team views Liljegren as the 8th defensemen

You can read that whole thread where he drops names like Honka, Jordan Subban, the bad Sebastian Aho, etc.

There's no evidence the team feels confident in him taking any kind of regular role. Not to say it can't happen, but I'm not expecting it.

Last edited:

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
No I listened to the same interview, he separated Forwards and Defense. At first he said he expects Anderson and Robertson to make pushes for lineup spots, and then when he referenced prospective D-men that they like in the system he rambled on about Rubins and Hollowell before closing out saying he expects Timmy and Sandin to take big strides and become mainstays. At first my jaw dropped too when he was talking about Hollowell and Rubins on D, but then stated Sandin and Lilly as if they were a given to be on the big club. That's the way I interpreted it at least

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
No I listened to the same interview, he separated Forwards and Defense. At first he said he expects Anderson and Robertson to make pushes for lineup spots, and then when he referenced prospective D-men that they like in the system he rambled on about Rubins and Hollowell before closing out saying he expects Timmy and Sandin to take big strides and become mainstays. At first my jaw dropped too when he was talking about Hollowell and Rubins on D, but then stated Sandin and Lilly as if they were a given to be on the big club. That's the way I interpreted it at least
Thanks that makes more sense. Going younger on the 3rd pair is something I support.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Doesn't mean anything. He was likely talking about forwards. Dubas mentioned before the draft Liljegren will fight for a spot.

Kristen Shilton: Maple Leafs GM Kyle Dubas discusses Zach Hyman deal and the complicated off-season - TSN.ca

"On the backend, we're expecting Rasmus Sandin and Timothy Liljegren to continue to push and challenge and take steps there. And then you've got Kristian Rubens and Mac Hollowell that both had good seasons. We feel that depth on both forward and D is an area that we need to address in free agency to give those young players some competition and make sure that, if they're not ready, that we've got the requisite depth to help out there.”

What else do you expect from your prospects but progresss.

With Dermott there, the competition is for 1 3rd. pairing spot, and an extra.

Reactions: Lauro

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Thanks that makes more sense. Going younger on the 3rd pair is something I support.
Ya it has me a bit worried, but I am less worried about the results next year versus the process and progression of our next wave. We absolutely need to have at least 3 of the 4 players between Anderson, Robertson, Sandin, and Lilly to cement themselves as everyday NHL regulars this year. It is crucial to make our cap dynamic work going forward, and legitimately be one of the top 1-3 teams in the NHL.

I may be alone on this one, but I really think this next year is not necessarily "Our Year". It's hard to look at the current lineup and think we will be any better from the previous years. However, it doesn't mean we are in a downward trajectory, or have zero chance. I really think this will be a bit of a learning year for this second wave of kids, mistakes will happen, but we need to allow them to do so. This second wave of ELC talent will be instrumental to get over the hump in the years t come. We need them to assert themselves sooner rather than later. We gave Hyman the room to learn in 2016, we need to do the same for Joey Anderson for example. That's not to say he doesn't have to earn it, but he shouldn't be 1 mistake away from the press box. Same for the other 3 IMO. Our re-tool doesn't need to be shipping out the core 4, it can be about supporting them with the next wave of young talent and not fatherly figure players like Patty, Jumbo...etc.

I am happy they appear to be going down this route, I've long thought that Mitch and Auston look down the bench when the going gets tough. It's time they step up and be the leaders they are paid to be. The answers are within themselves, not 38 year old Jason Spezza. And who knows, of the 4 players listed above that are set to make big strides next year, we may have another superstar in that bunch. One that brings life to the bench with their play down the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->