Tribute Timothy Liljegren Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
AI would like to see Liljegren make the top 6 and I hope Sandin can eventually be there too this year a Dermott--Holl pairing makes me nervous

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Dermott is probably worse than he was when he first started, and it seems like the team agrees. He played 16 minutes a game in 2018, down to 13 minutes a game last year
I mean, the defense is also deeper with a better top 4 than we've had in a long time. His minutes get shaved because you have a 2nd pair that can be deployed like a top pair.

Dermott has progressed slowly but steadily. He's physically stronger and a noticeably better skater than when he debuted, he's an everyday PKer and he's carried partners for years. The only area of his game that has stalled is his offense, because he's been given zero opportunity on the PP and used primarily in a defensive role 5on5 (compared to Sandin who is handed PP minutes immediately). The fact they haven't even experimented with him on PP2 during injuries to Rielly/Muzzin is ridiculous. Now you have a guy with low confidence offensively who hesitates to execute plays.

Use it or lose it and he hasn't been given leash to grow offensively since he last played for the Marlies. He's been mishandled.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I mean, the defense is also deeper with a better top 4 than we've had in a long time. His minutes get shaved because you have a 2nd pair that can be deployed like a top pair.

Dermott has progressed slowly but steadily. He's physically stronger and a noticeably better skater than when he debuted, he's an everyday PKer and he's carried partners for years. The only area of his game that has stalled is his offense, because he's been given zero opportunity on the PP and used primarily in a defensive role 5on5 (compared to Sandin who is handed PP minutes immediately). The fact they haven't even experimented with him on PP2 during injuries to Rielly/Muzzin is ridiculous. Now you have a guy with low confidence offensively who hesitates to execute plays.

Use it or lose it and he hasn't been given leash to grow offensively since he last played for the Marlies. He's been mishandled.

I agree that Dermott appears to have possibly more to his game, but note that he started in the Ozone 55% of the time last year, the second highest of any full time D, with the exception of Rielly.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Dermott actually gets abnormally low minutes.

None of Tampa, Colorado, Vegas, NYI had a regular D that averaged even close to as low of minutes as Dermott played. Dermott's 13:13 TOI ranks him 2-3 less minutes per game than those team's bottom pair D. You mention him being an "everyday PK'er" but he killed f*** all for penalties this last season, the most he's averaged in a season is 1:09 PK TOI, and he's not a very good PK'er either.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I know full well that if we move Dermott he's going to turn into another Stralman through his late 20s somewhere else, but does that really matter if he's never going to get the opportunity here? 200 games in and we have no idea if he can handle a top-4 role fulltime without getting caved in.

I almost wish Rielly had to sit out a couple months for some off-ice reason so we could see Dermott in regular top-4 LHD minutes and have Liljegren in as an everyday player.

Reactions: Crosscrease14

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Waivers might dictate he starts the opening night in the minors (one of him or Sandin will have to) but like others have said he needs and has earned the right to play a lot this year and to see what we have in him.

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
If he is not full time this year I’m sure it will because of cap issues
Biega is going to have that spot and it won't be cap related. Liljegren simply hasn't stepped up and taken a job. Biega looks dependable and strong so far, 2 things Lilly has never been described as. Lilly seems like a puck moving defenceman who can't get the puck himself to move it. It's a fire drill in his own end every shift, and the production on the other side simply isn't there to justify putting up with it. This kid is waiver bait when he's eligible for it.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Biega is going to have that spot and it won't be cap related. Liljegren simply hasn't stepped up and taken a job. Biega looks dependable and strong so far, 2 things Lilly has never been described as. Lilly seems like a puck moving defenceman who can't get the puck himself to move it. It's a fire drill in his own end every shift, and the production on the other side simply isn't there to justify putting up with it. This kid is waiver bait when he's eligible for it.

you sir ... have not a clue

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Guessing Muzzin was pulled after dermott was hurt so Sandin could play with Holl and Muzzin will play with Lilly tommorrow.

And dermott may not be ready to start the year.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Guessing Muzzin was pulled after dermott was hurt so Sandin could play with Holl and Muzzin will play with Lilly tommorrow.

This might be Keefe's other option if a d man gets hurt which is good. At least he is preparing for it.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

I hope Dermott is okay, but this was my thought as well...

Hopefully it gives us a few extra games to see how Sandin and Liljegren look with their partners and the full NHL squad.

It's a bit weird to me that Liljegren's most common partner has been Muzzin so far (I think?), but before this injury it appeared like he would be in the AHL. Hopefully it means they like him, even though they obviously prefer Sandin at this point.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

You sure you aren't watching Sandin tonight?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
i think this is the year he establishes himself as part of the core moving forward
. he's seasoned in the ahl. done good. had a great camp so far will get a good long look to start the season.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

ummmm???? He looked fantastic

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Both Sandin and Liljegren have looked good.

Holl hasn't outperformed either, and Dermott doesn't look like he's progressing a great deal.

Have to have patience for all these younger players (not Holl).

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

what happened to dermott?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad