Tribute Timothy Liljegren Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Likely our #8 going into the playoffs, shame he doesn’t have more time to get comfortable & confident in his decision making.

Will be a strong part of our top 4 in the future though.

Reactions: stickty111

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Pathetic that Keefe gave Lily 14 mins and Sandin 15 mins while riding Rielly 25 mins and Brodie 25 mins when we pretty much have playoffs locked.

Note sure what Keefe was getting out of overplaying Rielly and Brodie while holding Lily and Sandin back

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Keefe on Lilly today

"I thought he was okay. He had some really good moments in the game. We gave up a lot of opportunity here today, especially on that penalty kill. In the first 21 minutes or so of the game, we had taken three penalties. It was not a good night not to have Justin Holl. That puts a lot on Liljegren.
We wanted to give him that opportunity today. That opportunity will serve him well, but I think it showed that it was maybe a little bit too much too soon for him. This is why we put them in these situations. They will be better for it down the line."

That sounds about right. Keefe was forced to use him in tougher situations then he is ready for with the PK's.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Through 2 games with 25:49 of 5 on 5 play with Liljegren on the ice:

68.18 CF%
70.00 SF%
72.58 xGF%
69.23 SCF%
87.50 HDCF%

Hasn't been scored on 5 on 5. If fact he's been dominant defensively in these two games.

A couple giveaways on the PK but this is a really good player folks.. Hopefully we can find a way to play him in the last few games here.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Through 2 games with 25:49 of 5 on 5 play with Liljegren on the ice:

68.18 CF%
70.00 SF%
72.58 xGF%
69.23 SCF%
87.50 HDCF%

Hasn't been scored on 5 on 5. If fact he's been dominant defensively in these two games.

A couple giveaways on the PK but this is a really good player folks.. Hopefully we can find a way to play him in the last few games here.

Keefe's gotta let Lily play a little even if he makes a few mistakes. Not to bench him after one or two mistakes. How the F is he supposed to learn?

When Makar joined the Avs, Bednar hardly benched him and let him play the way he wanted. Look at the confidence that Makar has now. Not saying Lily is Makar but you gotta give a little for the players to gain confidence. You cannot bench them when they are still learning.

Also, we have already made the playoffs and most likely will end up 1st in the division. I don't get why Keefe doesn't want to give more mins to both Lily and Sandin. Keep Rielly/Brodie/Muzzin fresh little bit for the playoffs. You over play them and risk the chance of injury even before the playoffs begin

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Keefe's gotta let Lily play a little even if he makes a few mistakes. Not to bench him after one or two mistakes. How the F is he supposed to learn?

When Makar joined the Avs, Bednar hardly benched him and let him play the way he wanted. Look at the confidence that Makar has now. Not saying Lily is Makar but you gotta give a little for the players to gain confidence. You cannot bench them when they are still learning.

Also, we have already made the playoffs and most likely will end up 1st in the division. I don't get why Keefe doesn't want to give more mins to both Lily and Sandin. Keep Rielly/Brodie/Muzzin fresh little bit for the playoffs. You over play them and risk the chance of injury even before the playoffs begin
Edmonton plays an awful low-effort team for the rest of the season so it’s very possible they go undefeated for the rest of the season.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
IDK about that but he's good enough to be the 7th d man.

Were I Keefe, I'd be playing him on Thursday against the Habs. I want to see how he responds to the few gaffs he had tonight. I like the strength I see, and the calmness. A couple of board battles in the first and early 2nd and TM was engaged, holding his own, head up swiveling looking to see how things might develop. But, what really strikes me is his passing. I don't see much of the Marlies over here, so I've only read about his accurate passes, but darned if those posting about this skill were on point. Sandin has that confidence with the puck that is innate, and it allows him to break away and then dish the puck, whereas Liljegren's passes are more directly obvious, but tape to tape. For me, a very short sample size, but I'd say he's our best D at being able to hit the moving player with an accurate pass, short or long. I'm sure I've missed 1, but I can't think of a pass of his that was behind the advancing skater, it always seems to be above the feet and usually in a place that allows the skater to not break stride. With this team's skills, that's going to be a very valuable trait to utilize.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
The nice thing about both Sandin & Liljegren showing what they have this year is that they are definitely not on the trade block now. Players with their AHL numbers correlate with such a high level of success that their ELC production would have been really hard to match in terms of cap efficiency for the player they brought back in a trade.

The same is probably true for Robertson, so Dubas saying "we're not afraid to trade top prospects" worried me a bit.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The nice thing about both Sandin & Liljegren showing what they have this year is that they are definitely not on the trade block now. Players with their AHL numbers correlate with such a high level of success that their ELC production would have been really hard to match in terms of cap efficiency for the player they brought back in a trade.

The same is probably true for Robertson, so Dubas saying "we're not afraid to trade top prospects" worried me a bit.
Elliotte did say that Dubas told other teams Sandin, Lilly, Robertson and Amirov are off the table.
There are other prospects that Dubas might have considered top prospects like Abruzzese, Niemela for example who he was willing to trade.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

In the AHL, the NHL is not a development league, Liliy had 5 turnovers that I can remember behind his net, that were needless. The guy is simply not ready for the big show yet. Does not mean he will never be ready but he is clearly a step or 2 behind.

Last edited:
Reactions: FreeBird

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Apart from looking completely lost on the PK, I thought he had a decent game. And the PK was a learning opportunity, so I'm not even posing that as a criticism, just an observation. Future looks bright, looks ready to take the next step.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
In the AHL, the NHL is not a development league, Liliy had 5 turnovers that I can remember behind his net, that were needless. The guy is simply not ready for the big show yet.

There isn't much more for him to learn in the AHL at this point. He needs time in the NHL to adjust to the pace and learn what he can/can't do at the speed of the game.

It's been discuss that Lily is the type of player that needs a bit of time to acclimate.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
There isn't much more for him to learn in the AHL at this point. He needs time in the NHL to adjust to the pace and learn what he can/can't do at the speed of the game.

It's been discuss that Lily is the type of player that needs a bit of time to acclimate.

Based on last night and how he stickhandles himself into a corner when there is a strong forecheck. there is lots he can learn in the AHL. He's young and he looked like a young defender. Sandin on the other hand is younger and looks more experienced.

Lilly clearly has the potential , he just isn't at the level of a NHL defender in 2021.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Liljegren last night, in the first period was pretty impressive until his last 2 shifts of the first, he turned the puck over behind his own net trying a very risky bank pass off the back off his own net to evade Caufield. Until that point, I thought I was watching a new improved Liljegren and was impressed with his simple decisions, moving the puck quickly and supporting his D partner at all times, giving him a lane to pass too. Liljegren turned the puck over 2 more times behind his own net. I would show him the first 4 or 5 shifts of last nights game as a great template for him, keep it simple. Liljegren grew up being an offensive stud on every team he was on from age 5 until 18, it doesnt look like thats his game at this level and so he must stick to a simple game right now and master that part of it. When Liljegren starts to do fancy things or push for offense, mistakes happen. He has to eliminate that.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Elliotte did say that Dubas told other teams Sandin, Lilly, Robertson and Amirov are off the table.
There are other prospects that Dubas might have considered top prospects like Abruzzese, Niemela for example who he was willing to trade.
That's fair. Even Amirov would be fine for the right return, there's a lot wider range of outcomes there, but the top 3 are so close to contributing and would have to be such outliers from their peer production group to flop in the NHL that you'd just hate to see us look back in regret.

I think too much gets made of the "let's go all in" notion and people don't realize how little it actually effects your odds of winning in any given year. The way to build a winner is to be an upper 3rd team for a long time rather than a top few team for a short time.

Also, I have a roundabout connection to MLSE hockey ops, I've been told that Friedman is not a Leafs insider at all. Albeit this is not a close connection of mine personally, so I guess take it with a grain of salt.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Based on last night and how he stickhandles himself into a corner when there is a strong forecheck. there is lots he can learn in the AHL. He's young and he looked like a young defender. Sandin on the other hand is younger and looks more experienced.

Lilly clearly has the potential , he just isn't at the level of a NHL defender in 2021.

Spoken like someone who noticed 2 plays that Lilly made and nothing else.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
The Caufield bank pass turnover would’ve really looked cool if he pulled it off. The problem is that it was totally unnecessary in that situation all he had to do was move it up.

I think he’s NHL ready, his two way game and puck moving ability is pretty polished. He just needs to adjust to the speed increase when he’s making decisions with the puck and realize the simple play is almost always a good play

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Lily isn't quite as poised or as polished of a skater as Sandin is but I really like how active he is with his stick and his lateral quickness makes him a bitch to get around in the NZ. I haven't seen him play any games for the Marlies since 2018-19 so its hard to really comment on his offensive upside. Anyone who has watched him more at the AHL level recently care to chime in with regard to his ability to drive the rush? Hasn't looked overly comfortable thus far at the NHL level but that could just be confidence which I know is perhaps a little more volatile for Liljegren than most.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Lily isn't quite as poised or as polished of a skater as Sandin is but I really like how active he is with his stick and his lateral quickness makes him a bitch to get around in the NZ. I haven't seen him play any games for the Marlies since 2018-19 so its hard to really comment on his offensive upside. Anyone who has watched him more at the AHL level recently care to chime in with regard to his ability to drive the rush? Hasn't looked overly comfortable thus far at the NHL level but that could just be confidence which I know is perhaps a little more volatile for Liljegren than most.
If Sandin could skate like Liljegren, he's a Heiskanen type prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->