Tribute Timothy Liljegren Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by uncleben, May 3, 2021 at 10:13 PM.

1. BlueForever75 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Lilly has looked great in a small sample size. He along with Sandin should be penciled into the everyday lineup next season as a third pairing. They played together in AHL and were great. If Dermott isnt selected in expansion draft he is as good as gone next season while they bring back Bogo as insurance on the right side along with another LD vet.

Nick034 likes this.
  2. Randy Randerson Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I think if Dermott doesn't get picked (he probably will) then we find a way to keep him around at least for a while. He's being used on the right side just fine for now, and he's a better player than Bogosian even if he's a bit smaller plus does bring some physicality.

Either way, the defense issues appear to be fixed for the forseeable future, just need to keep these guys progressing and develop the next wave of replacements for a few years down the line.

New Liskeard likes this.
  3. BlueForever75 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I actually never thought about that. If not selected in expansion draft he would be great to have as depth due to being able to play both the left and right side.

Unfortunately its probably inevitable that he gets selected. Too young with great upside not to be

4. Bluelines Python FTW!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Maybe watch the game, it's an odd thought but stats don't always tell the truth or the full story. Turn over the puck vs the Toilet Seats, nothing happens, they have no talent. Do that vs Florida and Barkov, or Boston and Pasta or Colorado and MacKinnon, the puck ends up in the net.

usernamezrhardtodo likes this.
  5. Bluelines Python FTW!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Smart post, bang on.

leafsfan2point0 likes this.
  6. TheGoldenJet Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Not sure what games you were watching, but Liljegren has done well through two games so far. He is clearly NHL ready and already a better player than Holl, if not a ‘safer’ one.

stickty111 likes this.
  7. Intellivisionhockey Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Honestly...Muzzin played FAR worse last night, IMO. Lily just needs some experience and he'll be a good one.

8. Bluelines Python FTW!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    The same one his coach was watching.

I get that Leaf fans WANT really badly to keep that prospect train a rollin' but lets be honest about what we see ... The guy had a bad game for an NHLer, for a prospect he had a Meh game. Before Robertson was sent down, I said he looked out of place, like he was a few seconds behind the game, many of the same people on here lauding Lily's game last night were doing the same about Robertson. When Bogo and Hall come back, Liliy will be on the bus to the AHL. It's not a bad thing to get sent down, its good that he will have more time to mature out of the spotlight. He will probably be our #6 next year.

9. TheGoldenJet Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    You realize that the part of the quote about Holl is about the 3 minutes of PK time, and not the rest of the game right? Context matters.

Jmo89, carko32, DeadEye and 1 other person like this.
  10. Twine Tickler Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Timmy had a couple times in that game where it looked like he was a bit caught off guard with respect to the forecheck. Lets keep in mind, the Canadiens did a fantastic job all night putting pressure on our D-men and Timmy was not the only one making mistakes. I think it was great exposure for him TBH. That's the level of physicality and pressure you will see in the playoffs, which is potentially what we will need from Timmy this post season. Other than the 2 glaring mishaps, I thought he looked really good. I think anyone who has spent any time watching Timmy with the Marlies would tell you this is exactly how you want to see Timmy play. He is most effective when he is playing with confidence and playing with the puck on his stick. Occasionally he will get burnt by this. It happened almost never at the AHL level because he has grown accustomed to that pace and skill. He will figure out what he can and can't do at this level, I am not worried. I can't wait for the rest of this fanbase to fall in love with his game, its just a matter of time.

Northernguy10 and BertCorbeau like this.
  11. The Beyonder Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Good skater, great passer, good gap control; but he really struggles along the boards and when he's pressured. Maybe he's just not used to the pace yet, but he turns it over under pressure quite a bit more than he should.

12. stickty111 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Yup. People will just see what they want to see I guess

DeadEye and TheGoldenJet like this.
  13. usernamezrhardtodo Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I talked to a friend who watches all the Marlie games...he says that Lilly just doesn't have a fast enough mental processor for the game to make a difference in the big leagues. You hope that those giveaways last night were because he thought he was better than he really is and not because he was just slow to process the situation.

I really don't understand how any of the draft guru's had this guy as a potential 2-3 in the first round. It's certainly not offense he brings considering they had to actually teach him to play defense....so what was the pre-draft hype about? beats me...

Cpt Maple Leaf likes this.
  14. Stephen Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Muzzin made a turnover that caused a prolonged cycle in the Leaf end and Liljegren ended up blocking a shot.

Jimmy Firecracker likes this.
  15. Stephen Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I don't think the Liljegren that was hyped to go 1st or 2nd is the Liljegren we ended up developing for the past few years. He received some crazy hype that you would associate with Rasmus Dahlin as a franchise level defensive prospect back in 2017, which he obviously didn't turn out to be, but seems like he'll probably turn out to be more of a Rasmus Andersson type defenseman, that is a top 4 who can play on a top pair and be a solid defensive and surprisingly nasty physical player. When I watch him on the Leafs it looks like he's just willing to do a little bit more with the puck than being slow with it.

https://thehockeywriters.com/the-next-ones-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-timothy-liljegren/

uncleben likes this.
  16. Korg My name is Korg; I'm made of rocks.

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    He doesn't need to be an impact player this season, but he looks like he could be an NHL'er next fall, which is a positive sign. Both he and Sandin are in the final year of their ELC next season, so it's a bit of a make or break year before them as their value will fall if they can't crack an NHL roster before the end of their ELC.

17. New Liskeard Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    As you mentioned, based on Dermot's ability to play both sides, his age, upside and cost controlled; one would think the Leafs would protect him over Holl in the expansion draft, especially with Lily playing the right side. Holl is approaching 30 and has a 2 mil per cap hit. Lily and Dermot make it slightly bearable to loose Holl over Dermot to the Kraken.

Not to mention a left handed D needing to replace Muzzin in a few years; pick between Sandin and Dermot playing second or third pairing.

TopCheese likes this.
  18. TMLAM34 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I feel like Liljegren is in a similar situation as Sparks was a couple years ago. You know he can dominate or be a major factor in the AHL. You have to see what he can now do in the NHL.

19. LeafsOHLRangers98 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Not even close to the same situation...

20. LeafsOHLRangers98 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Yea Liljegren has exactly 1 turnover in 30 minutes of ice time and it was on the PK in his first real opportunity at this level. Secondary PK minutes would have been fine I think but he got thrown right into the fire.

He's been excellent and looks ready for more reps. His 5 on 5 play has been fantastic.

21. LeafsOHLRangers98 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I wondered about the TOI as well. Liljegren and Sandin barely played in the 3rd.

I know we want to lock up the division but there was absolutely no reason to play Brodie and Rielly 25 minutes while Liljegren /Sandin/ Dermott all played between 13-15. Especially with how well they were doing 5 on 5.

22. Bluelines Python FTW!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    You do realize he said it was not a good NIGHT to not have Holl? No , 3 minutes does not = a night.

Aside for the PK, he looked poor 5 on 5, if I'm wrong and Lily was a super awesome as some of you think he was, he will stay up and play in the playoffs, if I'm right he will go back down, we will know in 2 weeks.

Last edited by moderator uncleben: May 5, 2021 at 9:27 AM
  23. Rielly4 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    lol...Do people actually think Lilly is better than Holl right now? Thats absurd.

I like lilly, his skating is great and I like his stretch pass ability, his defending is pretty solid too. That being said im a little worried that he wont put it all together....He is very prone to turnovers and is not consistent at all with his puck handling. If he can be consistent and cut out those mistakes and be a Dermott type player he can be top 4.

24. PromisedLand I need more FOOD

SB Cash:
    $ 10,000
    Wizard
    Fair enough. But even if Leafs finish 2nd that is not the end of the world. Trying to go for that 1st place Keefe is overplaying his vets. He played Rielly and Brodie 25 mins; why not use this as an opportunity to let younger players like Lily and Sandin learn. If we lose the game then thats fine... it is not going to put a dent in our playoff hope.

Last couple games of the season Keefe can run his playoff roster to get the team ready. If it looks like we will be playing the habs in the playoffs then probably be tactful on how to play these last remaining games with the habs. In case they try to play "heavy" to wear down our players even before the playoffs begin

25. LeafsOHLRangers98 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    That's fine if he looked poor to you, but our 5 on 5 play with him on the ice has been outstanding.

Not to mention the fact that he's had 0 turnovers 5 on 5, as well as 0 goals against in those 25 minutes. Hardly much to point to to say he's been poor outside of the PK.

Every defensemen will make the odd gaff even if it doesn't result in a goal but we've dominated the play when he's been on the ice 5 on 5.

aingefan and stickty111 like this.