Time to sell-off Simmonds, Voracek, Giroux to the highest bidder

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Voracek has been the best player on his line often in Philly. Schenn never was. It’s hilarious seeing you try to blame this team’s 10 game losing steak and complete lack of confidence on its most productive player, rather than the coach.

I'm not blaming anything on Voracek, but how quickly we forget his preceeding two seasons, where he averaged 35 ES points a year.
Now project forward to 2019-20, with 5 years left on his contract, if he recedes to a 30-35 ES point level.
So if someone wants to trade for him now as a 50+ ES forward, why chance being stuck with him 3 years down the road as a 2nd/3rd line quality player.
Of course, if no one offers you top value, you do nothing.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
No contender is adding his contract so won't have to imagine.

It's not because they wouldn't want to, it's because finding $8.25 mil worth of space is not easy for a team presumably near the cap. That said, Kessel's contract went from $8 mil to just under $7 mil retained when he got traded. And I'm sure it would work out just as splendidly as that trade should they go down that route. Better pray we tank for years on end to get a Nylander/Marner level player to replace him in 3-5 years.

Voracek has been the best player on his line often in Philly. Schenn never was. It’s hilarious seeing you try to blame this team’s 10 game losing steak and complete lack of confidence on its most productive player, rather than the coach.

By every measure Voracek is the offensive driving force of that line this season too. He is healthily leading in virtually every category.

I know exactly how this will go...

If Simmonds does get traded, he'll end up on a good team, play really well (remember how he was our best forward last year and scored 63 goals over the last two years?), and half the people on here - who are currently saying he should be traded - will suddenly be furious that Hextall traded him.

He certainly wasn't our best forward last year, he just got absolved for his struggles because people like him. He ended up scoring worse than Schenn at 5v5.

I will say that I don't doubt Simmonds is still a 30 goal/55-60 point player and would be for a contending team. But I also don't really foresee a Brayden Schenn surge. Getting back to his normal self is good enough. If you asked me who had another level to their game, it was always Schenn. He's more skilled and a better passer and 3 years younger and only really had 2/3 years at his previous level of play compared to Simmond's 6 years. There was more potential growth to be had. At worst, he was looking like the same as Simmonds.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He certainly wasn't our best forward last year, he just got absolved for his struggles because people like him. He ended up scoring worse than Schenn at 5v5.

I will say that I don't doubt Simmonds is still a 30 goal/55-60 point player and would be for a contending team. But I also don't really foresee a Brayden Schenn surge. Getting back to his normal self is good enough. If you asked me who had another level to their game, it was always Schenn. He's more skilled and a better passer and 3 years younger and only really had 2/3 years at his previous level of play compared to Simmond's 6 years. There was more potential growth to be had. At worst, he was looking like the same as Simmonds.
I think it's extremely debatable whether or not he was our best forward last year. At least to the point that you can't say he "certainly wasn't". He won the "Bobby Clarke Trophy" last year. That's awarded by local sportscasters and sportswriters, who are extremely reliable (not as much as Hagg, though) and knowledgeable.

As for Schenn vs Simmonds..... Simmonds had the same amount of even strength points as Schenn and 5 more even strengths goals... and even then, I don't give a damn where he got his points as long as he got them. Especially since they were on the same PP.

You don't see a Brayden Schenn style surge? Did you see Schenn's surge? Of course not, nobody did. ;)
Regardless, I wasn't saying a Schenn style surge. I just mean he'll bounce back, look great, and people will freak out about it.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I think it's extremely debatable whether or not he was our best forward last year. At least to the point that you can't say he "certainly wasn't". He won the "Bobby Clarke Trophy" last year. That's awarded by local sportscasters and sportswriters, who are extremely reliable (not as much as Hagg, though) and knowledgeable.

As for Schenn vs Simmonds..... Simmonds had the same amount of even strength points as Schenn and 5 more even strengths goals... and even then, I don't give a damn where he got his points as long as he got them. Especially since they were on the same PP.

You don't see a Brayden Schenn style surge? Did you see Schenn's surge? Of course not, nobody did. ;)
Regardless, I wasn't saying a Schenn style surge. I just mean he'll bounce back, look great, and people will freak out about it.
Schenn is the better player and is younger. Simmonds should have been gone.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Schenn is the better player and is younger. Simmonds should have been gone.
This is the first year Schenns been better. He's having an insanely lucky year on an elite team, meanwhile Simmonds is having a bad year due to injury on a one line team. Not really a fair comparison.

And I bet if you made a poll on this board, prior to the trade, it would have been Simmonds in a landslide.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
2osb7sL.gif

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is the first year Schenns been better. He's having an insanely lucky year on an elite team, meanwhile Simmonds is having a bad year due to injury on a one line team. Not really a fair comparison.

And I bet if you made a poll on this board, prior to the trade, it would have been Simmonds in a landslide.

There is a really, really good chance it is a fluke year for Schenn. Sometimes players have one-off fantastic years that are out of character for them.

This is pretty out of character for Schenn.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
...is 2 1sts bad?
young roster player and a 1st if its 27th. Frost better be johnny g or that will be a bust. Schenn was 24 and can score on the rush or knock you into tomorrow with huge checks and cycle. Hope for frost but that 4 years away a g will be 34 and done.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC

Who cares he doesn't fit the time frame of this team if we are contenders but even the youth compared to others hasn't been great. Worst this team has ever been.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
schenn started the last 2 years here of showing what he can do and is only 24.

What

What in the last two years remotely indicated he had this season in him? Be specific. Was it his inferior play at center? Was it the way he played himself off the top line despite being carried by two elite players more than once?

What indicated he had a much higher ceiling? We'd love to know because literally nobody saw it coming, and I remember you specifically bashing schenn lot.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Who cares he doesn't fit the time frame of this team if we are contenders but even the youth compared to others hasn't been great. Worst this team has ever been.
Not even close. This losing streak is an anomaly. They aren't really that bad.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
What

What in the last two years remotely indicated he had this season in him? Be specific. Was it his inferior play at center? Was it the way he played himself off the top line despite being carried by two elite players more than once?

What indicated his had a much higher season? We'd love to know because literally nobody saw it coming, and I remember you specifically bashing schenn lot.
Before the trade Hatcher specifically said that Couturier and Schenn were boring players who couldn't hack it on a contender. :laugh:

He only likes him now that he's gone.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Before the trade Hatcher specifically said that Couturier and Schenn were boring players who couldn't hack it on a contender. :laugh:

Your last sentence is bang on. If Schenn were producing like this on the Flyers he'd find some way to dismiss it, probably by claiming it's only because all 29 teams in the league elect not to play very hard against the Flyers.

Reactions: kudymen

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC

never said Schenn was boring but slower and coots is a p***y and boring. Clean the whole team out. Kings taught the blues what hard hockey was all about yesterday and Schenn can handle it. schenn was the only forward to handle the caps afew years ago too. Schenn and coots should be on this team now and Simmonds gone and he will be soon with hopefully alot of other as they are scared to compete. bruins big d knocked them all around easily yesterday.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Your last sentence is bang on. If Schenn were producing like this on the Flyers he'd find some way to dismiss it, probably by claiming it's only because all 29 teams in the league elect not to play very hard against the Flyers.
Thats not true but whats to like here? Nothing not even the kids play good hockey and thats why they sit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad