Time to sell-off Simmonds, Voracek, Giroux to the highest bidder

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Gostisbehere goes nowhere. It's not his fault that the coaching staff has screwed his development. The Flyers have an offensive defenseman capable of putting up 50+ points per season. You don't try to turn him into a defensive stalwart and then when it backfires, blame the player for not being able to do what they ask. It's very easy to correct Gostisbehere's flaws and it's very easy to put him in a position to succeed.

As for Simmonds, the package returning has to be a young roster player, a blue chip/A prospect and a first. He's still under contract for another year, so it's not as if the team acquiring him is getting a rental. If the Flyers also up the ante and retain some salary, that should make him even more attractable. I've said it another post as well about Simmonds - he hits the market and you've got a minimum of 12 teams interested and Hextall can really start a bidding war.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No it isn't, because Ghost isn't a franchise player, he's a solid role player.
Yes, he's very good on the PP, that hasn't kept our PP from becoming a below average group.
No, he's basically average at ES, Ghost giveth and Ghost taketh away.
He's in his third season and turns 25 this year, basically at his peak.

Ghost isn't going to get stronger, unlike someone like Kimmo, who had 10 lbs on him, and a higher hockey IQ and grasp of fundamentals and use of leverage, Ghost is never going to be a good defensive defenseman. At best he'll cut down on stupid mistakes.

If some team puts premium value on him, and is willing to trade a package of a solid RHD prospect and picks, I'd pull the trigger in a second.
I'm not giving him away, I'm just betting that some team will overpay.
He has 19 points in 23 games... on a team that has struggled to score... playing with absolutely awful defense partners... and is our best puck moving defensemen... "solid role player"...

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
As for Simmonds, the package returning has to be a young roster player, a blue chip/A prospect and a first. He's still under contract for another year, so it's not as if the team acquiring him is getting a rental. If the Flyers also up the ante and retain some salary, that should make him even more attractable. I've said it another post as well about Simmonds - he hits the market and you've got a minimum of 12 teams interested and Hextall can really start a bidding war.

Yep, I've been on board with this for a very long time. I think we should probably wait a while for him to play himself into form (although I don't think it actually effects his trade value much that he is slumping, I think it is still very high), but I think it would be mental to wait until next year - that extra playoff run under the current contract boosts the return bigtime.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Gostisbehere goes nowhere. It's not his fault that the coaching staff has screwed his development. The Flyers have an offensive defenseman capable of putting up 50+ points per season. You don't try to turn him into a defensive stalwart and then when it backfires, blame the player for not being able to do what they ask. It's very easy to correct Gostisbehere's flaws and it's very easy to put him in a position to succeed.

name the most recently traded player that has received a young roster player, a blue chip a prospect and a first.

Look at what lucic got, look at what rick nash got, look at what jeff carter got. What you are asking for is insane.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Pissing match? There's no discussion to be had... it wasn't a debatable point.

You said something ignorant and without logic, I pointed it out. End of story.

It's the leadership that causes certain players to be horrible, it's the leadership that causes the coach to do stupid things, it's the leadership that causes young guys to not immediately be in their primes. :laugh: ****ing hell man

If we had better leadership Manning, Lehtera, Filppula, Weise, MacDonald, etc would all be great players and this losing streak would have never happened.
Reasoning with a Russian computer bot would be more fruitful than your rants and attacks full of absolutes. Ok man you are absolutely right...

Anyway...this team is not worth a puff of breath any longer. You can have my Toronto tix if you want them.....

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
name the most recently traded player that has received a young roster player, a blue chip a prospect and a first.

Look at what lucic got, look at what rick nash got, look at what jeff carter got. What you are asking for is insane.

Different situations for all three guys. Boston was in a bind financially when Lucic was moved. When you think of it, Boston did quite well when you consider Martin Jones, Colin Miller and LA's first was acquired and then they flipped Jones to San Jose for San Jose's first. Martin Jones wasn't old at the time and Miller was a good prospect. As for Rick Nash, he wanted out of Columbus and would only consider a trade to New York. He handcuffed Columbus. As for Carter, the Flyers at the time got a young roster player, a 1st and a 3rd for him. I don't think that was a bad haul at all.

You can definitely get a young roster player, a blue chipper and a first for Simmonds. As mentioned, there will be a bidding war for him when he becomes available and you can bet that there will be some desperate GM out there that will try to do whatever they can to land him.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Simmonds for sure. Hes due for a hot streak and at that point Hexy should be shopping him hardcore. A 30 goal power forward, a leader, a PKer, and PP master...all for 4 mil this year n next? GMs will be salivating over him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Most Flyers fans use the Lucic return as a gauge for Simmonds:

#13 overall
Another asset worth a 1st rounder
Whatever add on to complete the deal.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
You can absolutely expect to get the Lucic haul in return. Simmonds should actually get a bit more considering he has better numbers and is cheaper in the short term

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You can absolutely expect to get the Lucic haul in return. Simmonds should actually get a bit more considering he has better numbers and is cheaper in the short term
I put it simple to the inquiring teams.

"You are willing to trade a 1st for a rental to win a cup, well Simmonds is for 2 playoff runs, so 2 1st rounders or the equivalent is the price"

But Hextall should be adding a prospect that is closer to helping us as opposed to just 2 picks.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Voracek will do no better than being on a line with G and Couts.
Voracek has always been dependent on his linemates, like Schenn.
Which is why you trade him high if you can.
My problem with Voracek is he lacks the high motor and compete level that would make him a great player.
So if someone values him off his scoring this year as an elite player, and will pay for him as such, go for it.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
If you don’t like watching the points Schenn has put up on a better team, get ready to hide your eyes if Voracek is ever traded to a contender.

Voracek frustrates me at times with his bone headed plays but he is a top tier RW.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm not interesting in dumping Ghost or Voracek, I just think there's a good chance we can find a team that overvalues them and gives us a great haul.
Voracek is a very good RW, but he's not an elite player (his defense and mistakes, and his relatively soft play keep him from reaching a level commiserate with his raw skills).

There's no need to get rid of them, but there is certainly good reason to explore what they can bring you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad