Time to sell-off Simmonds, Voracek, Giroux to the highest bidder

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I know exactly how this will go...

If Simmonds does get traded, he'll end up on a good team, play really well (remember how he was our best forward last year and scored 63 goals over the last two years?), and half the people on here - who are currently saying he should be traded - will suddenly be furious that Hextall traded him.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I know exactly how this will go...

If Simmonds does get traded, he'll end up on a good team, play really well (remember how he was our best forward last year and scored 63 goals over the last two years?), and half the people on here - who are currently saying he should be traded - will suddenly be furious that Hextall traded him.

You have to be able laugh at it. No one had Schenn’s start anywhere on the spectrum of reasonable outcomes.

I hope someone puts Simmonds with a possession monster like Kopitar too, so even those numbers go up. “You said his possession numbers sucked too and now look at them!!!!”

Simmonds is an all-world role player and his next deal will work out well for someone who is in the position to pay extra in the future for benefit now.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The thing is that though really only four players worth a damn have been here long enough in Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, & Simmonds. As a whole on the season so far I’d say 3/4 of them have been good. The top line is really the only reason we actually score some goals. Ironically the guy playing the worst to this point in the season in Simmonds makes the most sense to look at a trade given his age, trade value, upcoming, contract situation, etc.

If we can't win nobody should be off the table IMO. There is a malaise that has infected this team and if the leadership core can't overcome it..they need to be called to account in some manner. The inconsistency and apathy has been part of the culture of this team for too long. Coach is a big problem but there seems to be a leadership void that I am not sure a new coach can fix.....or sustain. Keep coots.......explore options with the others. Even Jake warned as much end of last season...but Hextall pood pood the idea...which is funny considering Jake was saying if we can't cut it...we may need to be traded

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That's such a dumb thing to say.

As if the core/leadership should be able to do it all themselves, literally carry the team to wins every single game, despite how bad some of their teammates are. It's not realistic and it's not fair.

Imagine criticizing Michael Phelps for losing a relay race when his teammates can't even swim... what the f*** do you expect him to do? He's standing on the side of the pool, already having done his job incredibly well, watching these idiots flop around and fail.

Blaming the leadership is probably the laziest and more ignorant thing that people come up with on here. You should be embarrassed.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If we can't win nobody should be off the table IMO. There is a malaise that has infected this team and if the leadership core can't overcome it..they need to be called to account in some manner. The inconsistency and apathy has been part of the culture of this team for too long. Coach is a big problem but there seems to be a leadership void that I am not sure a new coach can fix.....or sustain. Keep coots.......explore options with the others. Even jake warned as much end of last season...

I’m not saying they shouldn’t be on the table just that there’s levels of willingness to do a deal. In Giroux & Voracek’s cases they have sizeable contracts (the former even has a full NMC) which isn’t easy to move in today’s cap climate & extract top value back. When Toronto moved Kessel they were fine getting .50/.75 on the dollar in return to get rid of him & free up the bulk of his contract off the books long term (they retained some salary/cap on it). You’re likely going to find yourself in a similar situation with those two. So you have to weigh if it’s worth it given where the team is at.

Couturier would just really make no sense for what would likely be out there. He’s young enough & on a reasonable contract.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Couturier would just really make no sense for what would likely be out there. He’s young enough & on a reasonable contract.

He's also the kind of guy who, when you finally do get into the playoffs regularly and start making deep-ish runs, is completely invaluable, a la Guy Carbonneau. Since I started watching him, that's what I have always though: "Get this guy in a Cup run and he is really going to show even the Facebook fans how important he is." Because that's when guys like him always bring people around - when everything is on the line.

Reactions: Magua

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Just stop. Coots, G, and V are killing it this year. They aren't old.

Let's focus on filling the actual crappy parts of the roster.

Simmonds, I'm 100% down to trade. I have not liked him that much compared to how people value him for a few yaers... and with his horrid play this year, seems like the logical shake up move

Frickley

why am i watching this
Apr 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
Looking at the future, I am open to trading Simmonds and/or Voracek if a nice haul is coming back. Bottom line, those two are close to 30, expensive (or about to get paid), and the flyers don't look close to winning now.

But yeah, this is assuming Hak is long gone.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
It has been floated about that Simmonds is hurt-sports hernia or some other issue that requires surgery. If true, the Flyers should shut him down and have the surgery. His play is not up to his standards or what the team needs out of him. Let him get well and then bring him back. Playing guys that are hurt is dumb; especially at this time of the season and with this team.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Trading Simmonds for a huge haul is justifiable, but don’t do that before changing the coaches.

I think that is exactly what is going to happen sadly.

If the return is massive and does not include cap dumps I would entertain Simmer and Jake but no go on G, he stays

Reactions: Frickley

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
It has been floated about that Simmonds is hurt-sports hernia or some other issue that requires surgery. If true, the Flyers should shut him down and have the surgery. His play is not up to his standards or what the team needs out of him. Let him get well and then bring him back. Playing guys that are hurt is dumb; especially at this time of the season and with this team.

If that is the case, then that is an outrage. What is anyone accomplishing with him playing hurt?

Personally, I don't think he looks hurt. This is how he looks a lot of time. He cleans up better player's chances. Not diminishing that, but he doesn't create any offense on his own

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
G, Couts, Konency, Patrick, Provorov, Sanheim are the core of your championship steam.
G is both untradeable and the veteran you need to anchor a young team.

Voracek is a highly skilled player who's a bit lackadasial on the defensive end and prone to mindfarts.
Simmonds is a great player for a contender, but we'd have to extend him at above market value for his 30s.
Ghost is an undersized D-man prone to mindfarts who is at maximum value.
Gudas is a tough RHD who is prone to stupidity.
Not sure anyone else has real value.

It's not a matter of fire sale, but listening to offers and being willing to move guys to add talent and change the chemistry of this team.
I'd be looking for Carter type trades where you get picks and 1-2 young players (20-23) who've been blocked by PT by a good team.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Regardless if Simmonds is traded but even more so if he is, Hextall will have a lot of cap space and an abundance of high quality prospects in the system.

This team could be in great shape with the addition of a top 5 pick, blue chip prospect in a Simmonds trade, and an acquisition of a top 6 forward through trading picks/prospects.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
That's such a dumb thing to say.

As if the core/leadership should be able to do it all themselves, literally carry the team to wins every single game, despite how bad some of their teammates are. It's not realistic and it's not fair.

Imagine criticizing Michael Phelps for losing a relay race when his teammates can't even swim... what the **** do you expect him to do? He's standing on the side of the pool, already having done his job incredibly well, watching these idiots flop around and fail.

Blaming the leadership is probably the laziest and more ignorant thing that people come up with on here. You should be embarrassed.
I am not getting into a pisssing match over this. I am questioning the leadership on a team that goes into tailspins. There is nothing lazy about it at all. They have a part to play and what is embarrassing is your ignorant suggestion this all occurs in some vacuum. Every aspect of this team is responsible....GM, coach and players.

Reactions: trigzter

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Trading Ghost would be idiotic.

It won't happen.

No it isn't, because Ghost isn't a franchise player, he's a solid role player.
Yes, he's very good on the PP, that hasn't kept our PP from becoming a below average group.
No, he's basically average at ES, Ghost giveth and Ghost taketh away.
He's in his third season and turns 25 this year, basically at his peak.

Ghost isn't going to get stronger, unlike someone like Kimmo, who had 10 lbs on him, and a higher hockey IQ and grasp of fundamentals and use of leverage, Ghost is never going to be a good defensive defenseman. At best he'll cut down on stupid mistakes.

If some team puts premium value on him, and is willing to trade a package of a solid RHD prospect and picks, I'd pull the trigger in a second.
I'm not giving him away, I'm just betting that some team will overpay.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What’s the max return you get for simmer in best case scenario bidding war.

If he's healthy, a contending team would probably give something similar in value to Schenn, who was younger with a longer, reasonable contract, but didn't bring special qualities to a team. It would have to be the right fit, a team that wanted his physical presence and PP scoring.

I'd be looking for 1 solid forward prospect, 20-22, who's buried on their depth chart, another solid young player who's a legitimate prospect on their AHL team, and a 1st rd pick in this year's draft, since it's a contending team, we're talking in the 20s.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I am not getting into a pisssing match over this. I am questioning the leadership on a team that goes into tailspins. There is nothing lazy about it at all. They have a part to play and what is embarrassing is your ignorant suggestion this all occurs in some vacuum. Every aspect of this team is responsible....GM, coach and players.
Pissing match? There's no discussion to be had... it wasn't a debatable point.

You said something ignorant and without logic, I pointed it out. End of story.

It's the leadership that causes certain players to be horrible, it's the leadership that causes the coach to do stupid things, it's the leadership that causes young guys to not immediately be in their primes. :laugh: f***ing hell man

If we had better leadership Manning, Lehtera, Filppula, Weise, MacDonald, etc would all be great players and this losing streak would have never happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad