Rumor: Tim Thomas

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Please no 2 year deal. That is too risky on a guy that age who hasn't played hockey in a year. If it's 2 years, I'll be really dissapointed.

3Fs

Sep 22, 2005
Western Pa.
On Thomas....

I am told that Tim Thomas and Philly is a definite and growing possibility and have also heard that Buffalo may get in on Thomas. That would require a trade of Miller......and....

Miller to the Islanders?

I am hearing STRONG rumors this hour that Ryan Miller may be heading to Long Island via trade.. The Lightning is also rumored a possibility...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...yan-Miller-to-the-Island/1/52529#.UdSVudKorxA

JWEKD

Apr 9, 2013
Hm, Thomas to BUF, Miller to NYI, that leaves who, Nabby to PHI? Ick.

Edit: Oh God, the BUF rumor is going to make Homer offer 3x2.

I'd rather have Nabokov than Thomas. You just don't know what your getting with TT at this point. It would be nice if they could see him in pads at least, put some shots on him or something. They just can't blindly sign him after 14 mos off.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I'd rather have Nabokov than Thomas. You just don't know what your getting with TT at this point. It would be nice if they could see him in pads at least, put some shots on him or something. They just can't blindly sign him after 14 mos off.

Dreger just said that our goalie options go like this

1. Emery
2. Nabokov
3. Tim Thomas.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Does anyone know how good Tim is with mentoring young goaltenders?

Who knows for sure? I guess Rask might. From what I've read in the local papers here, he was kind of a loner on the Bruins. Add to that the fact that his style (if you can even call it that) is unorthodox to put it mildly. I'm not sure how much of a help to Mason he would be. He is also supposedly a very competitive person, his NHL career has basically been a constant effort to prove people wrong. Taking all that into consideration he doesn't sound like the kind of guy you bring in to mentor a young goalie.

That said, who cares. That's the goaltending coach's job. For better or worse.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I would put Nabokov last. He has been bad in the playoffs his whole career

honestly i think id go

1. Thomas
2. Emery
3. Hedberg

thomas because he is one of the best goalies in the league. If we sign him , and he plays like the TT we all know then it might signal a serious cup run.

Emery because he is very fluid with whatever position he is in. He could be a 1 or a 2

hedberg because he is a veteran who can play 20 games if need be but also help mason grow into a starter.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Meh, unless it's TT, everyone else is backup material and will be treated that way. Even TT won't get full time status unless he really lights it up. It's a Mason or bust season. And I think I'm ok with that.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
I wonder how people are going to feel about that if Mason is sporting an .895 SV% 10 games into the season.

You get a tiny glimmer of success last season, and suddenly Steven Mason's glass is half overflowing. Is that reasonable?

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
So I'd never heard of ayn rand before today. I'm not a political buff by any means, is it safe to assume she was a Vulcan?

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
Not a fan of Nabokov. He would be my third choice after Thomas and Emery. I watched around a dozen Islander games last season, not including their series with the Pens, and he's about as "middle of the road" as it gets...the Elvis Grbac of the NHL as far as goaltenders.

Definitely more upside with Thomas, I can live with him for one year at 3 million or 5 million for two years.

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
I wonder how people are going to feel about that if Mason is sporting an .895 SV% 10 games into the season.

You get a tiny glimmer of success last season, and suddenly Steven Mason's glass is half overflowing. Is that reasonable?

Frankly it doesn't get any worse than Bryz.

If Mason is Bryz 2.0, then at least he costs 1/100000 of what Bryz cost.

Cromster

Dec 4, 2010
New London, CT
Every time TT was questioned or called out, when folks thought he was finished, he would end up bouncing back and achieving great success.

That sounds like exactly the type of guy i want mentoring Mason. Someone who can identify with the kid and keep the fire lit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad