Rumor: Tim Thomas

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I truly believe this... short of hate speech.... Tim Thomas would only have issues with his mouth if he was failing to stop the puck.

Similarly, if Bryz was a Vezina finalist, everyone would have found his battles with the media and strange commentary both amusing and endearing.

JoeFlyer

Jul 3, 2011
UK
I purposefully tried not to get into it too much, because I'm not trying to turn this into a politics thread. My point is that Thomas's viewpoint does not fit entirely, as people are glossing over a bit. It "mostly" fits.

In that circle, I'm just speculating here, he would be that friend of yours who you really like and agree with on most things, but then he starts talking about aliens building the pyramids and you just ignore it and pass it off as him being wacky.

Sooooo... You're saying aliens didn't do it? :sarcasm:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Saw this in another thread but it will likely have huge bearing on where Thomas will end up. We all know how he feels about taxes and the almighty dollar

fp0630_hockey_salaries9401.gif

Being a native Montrealer, this makes me cry.

JoeFlyer

Jul 3, 2011
UK
Seems that Thomas is the prefered choice but if the deal isn't right for him then probably I'd go with Khudobin. I know he hasn't played loads and loads of games but he's been mint when he's been in net. Signing him might be cheap than other guys (maybe?) because of that percieved lack of experience. If we got him if would give 2 goalies who certainly are capable of delivering and I can't see that neither him nor Mason could claim the no.1 spot. If they then both turn out well you have a legit 1A and 1B goalie situation which goves you some trade value down the line.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Craig Custance brought up the idea of Thomas on a 1 year deal with performance bonuses (which could go into the cushion).

I like this idea a lot. While it is a calculated risk (bonus overages carrying into next year and hurting the team then), it is mitigated by the fact that many of Couturier and (especially) Schenn's bonuses are practically unattainable. And if Thomas is reaching his bonuses, that's more of a "good problem" deal.

RJ8812*

Craig Custance brought up the idea of Thomas on a 1 year deal with performance bonuses (which could go into the cushion).

I like this idea a lot. While it is a calculated risk (bonus overages carrying into next year and hurting the team then), it is mitigated by the fact that many of Couturier and (especially) Schenn's bonuses are practically unattainable. And if Thomas is reaching his bonuses, that's more of a "good problem" deal.

give him a Vezina, wins, and some sort of playoff bonus

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Doesn't capgeek automatically include the bonus cushion now? I think they said they do that because every year there is one.

They do if you calculate a roster, but they don't when you just look at the general Flyers page.

After checking for myself (traded everyone off the roster except Brayden Schenn), this is correct.

So I revert back to my original position. There's about $4 M in excess space for a depth winger or a goalie (post-Meszaros). Getting both in free agency will be a very tight squeeze. I am sure the Flyers would like to push Thomas down from $4 M, but goalie has to be the priority. They can wait to get a bottom-6 forward until the deadline if necessary, since they will have a lot more cap breathing room in-season.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
https://twitter.com/KhandymanSports

#Flyers, Tim Thomas still talking. Thomas wants $3M/yr (@TPanotchCSN).

I see Tim Thomas going to the #Flyers. Holmgren hasn't really tried this hard for another goalie since Bernier.

@WhizWitSports Well he didn't go after Emery/Neuvrith/Backstrom/Khudobin like we thought. He clearly wants Timmy.

Tume

Dec 23, 2003
Finland
Why Columbus? Didn't they just sign bob to a deal over 5 million?

Well, Jarmo Kekäläinen (Columbus GM) and Tim Thomas share a common history. Tim Thomas played his first professional season in 97-98 with HIFK in Finland. The person responsible for assembling the HIFK team that season? Jarmo Kekäläinen.

I'm not sure if it's realistic for Columbus to sign Tim Thomas but at least Kekäläinen knows Thomas quite well..

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
https://twitter.com/JimStarkSports

#Flyers #NHL Rumor - The #Flyers are close to agreeing on a deal with Tim Thomas.

Funny how reports r coming out 2day that Thomas is seeking 3 million when yesterday I said #Flyers would make him an offer around 3mil #HMMM

Situation is fluid. GM's talking to agents, other gm's, lots of gamesmanship going on. Thomas deal is very likely to happen though #Flyers

Are you ready for Thomas?

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
And for the love of god @tpanotchCSN stop embarrassing yourself by saying the #Flyers can't afford Tim Thomas. Do some research.

Ahahahaahahahha, his best tweet.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
If he's getting 2 years the cap hit better be 1-2 mil. One year is different and 3 mil would be fair IMO

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
One thing about Thomas...he is not exactly the best puck-handler so be prepared for that. Hopefully, Lavi can platoon them properly so that Mason is used against tighter checking teams where we need some puck support from the goalie.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
"..some1 gets paid 2 blog & go on #CSN & report rumors/news & inform the fans & cant even get their facts str8. #Flyers fans deserve better"

Keep goin' Jim :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad