Rumor: Tim Thomas

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I dont think Thomas would take 2 years. I think there are alot of teams who have interest in a Goalie. I would think Thomas bidding will start at 3-4 years.

If Timmy comes here he should do fine! :handclap:

Rather have Thomas then trade away prospects.

I don't really care who the Flyers choose but it surprises me to see Flyer fans willing to accept another Band-Aid approach by Philadelphia to solve its chronic goaltending issues. How does bringing a 40-year old after a 1-year hiatus solve the issues they were unhappy with Bryzgalov or the string of journeymen before him? :huh:

As for trading away prospects, you get what you pay for. If Holmgren wants to rely on two reclamation projects like Mason and Thomas, both of whom had mediocre seasons the last time each played, he'll be right back in the same situation next summer as he is now.

Bringing in Thomas seems like the perfect situation to let the Mason experiment play out. Make it happen.

Adding Thomas will be an experiment of its own.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
As for trading away prospects, you get what you pay for. If Holmgren wants to rely on two reclamation projects like Mason and Thomas, both of whom had mediocre seasons the last time each played, he'll be right back in the same situation next summer as he is now.

By what standard is 36-19-1 with a 2.36GAA and .920SV% a mediocre season?

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
You don't lose a step in 1 year, especially if it's a shortened season

I'll be really excited if he came here, he's an amazing goalie

deftones1986

Jul 7, 2011
I would really LOVE to hear from the people who have been watching Thomas this past year.

Please let me know what he did every day, what he ate for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Let me know his favorite shows from this past year.

Then I will listen to you when you say he hasn't been doing anything and is washed up, and can't compete at 39-40 years old.

funghoul

Pejorative Sluro montalbon
Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
You don't lose a step in 1 year, especially if it's a shortened season

I'll be really excited if he came here, he's an amazing goalie

yea. people are talkin 300 pounds and actin like he's 60. he JUST won a conn smythe 2 years ago. at worst he'll be an awesome backup goalie. at best you know what he can do. he seems like a guy who knows what's up with himself, takin the year off, and if he wants to play i can't see him suckin. I don't like this 3-4 year nonsense tho. thats ridiculous. he aint johnny bower. all this said tho if there's one place that can ruin a goalie.......

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Frankly it doesn't get any worse than Bryz.

If Mason is Bryz 2.0, then at least he costs 1/100000 of what Bryz cost.

So we'll settle for a starting goalie who doesn't perform as long as he isn't getting paid? Whoopdie-doo. When did crappy goaltending become the standard? Paying crap to get crap is nothing to aspire to. I don't understand the rush to settle for mediocrity. Tim Thomas has talent!

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
I don't really care who the Flyers choose but it surprises me to see Flyer fans willing to accept another Band-Aid approach by Philadelphia to solve its chronic goaltending issues. How does bringing a 40-year old after a 1-year hiatus solve the issues they were unhappy with Bryzgalov or the string of journeymen before him? :huh:

I'd rather the Flyers be patient than see them rush into a situation that would have them trade valuable young pieces for a player like Miller who could walk after next year or a player like Halak who is a bit of a question mark himself. Thomas and Mason are short term fixes that may or may not work out, but at least their contracts won't be a burden like Bryz's was.

This team is really young so there is no need to make any panic moves.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
So we'll settle for a starting goalie who doesn't perform as long as he isn't getting paid? Whoopdie-doo. When did crappy goaltending become the standard? Paying crap to get crap is nothing to aspire to.

I see. Your solution is what? They tried resurrection, they tried high priced UFA, they are trying trade, they drafted one. You in the "pay premium for Miller" posse?

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
Hes been seen around town in Boston plenty. Apparently hes the size of a michelin man now.

I would really LOVE to hear from the people who have been watching Thomas this past year.

Please let me know what he did every day, what he ate for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Let me know his favorite shows from this past year.

Then I will listen to you when you say he hasn't been doing anything and is washed up, and can't compete at 39-40 years old.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
So we'll settle for a starting goalie who doesn't perform as long as he isn't getting paid? Whoopdie-doo. When did crappy goaltending become the standard? Paying crap to get crap is nothing to aspire to. I don't understand the rush to settle for mediocrity. Tim Thomas has talent!

No. But we will likely see the end of Lavy and a new coach will come in with a more balanced system. And we still wont have to pay Bryz 5.6 a year for 6 more years.

NitHeel

Kimmo Forever
May 20, 2009
Reading, PA

What would you suggest he do at the current time? I'm guessing overpaying for 1 year of Ryan Miller? I think we'd all prefer to have a Lundquist, but that guy isn't out there. They made a bid on Bernier but the Kings preferred what TML had. Have to make the best of the current situation while you wait on Stolarz.

And for the record, Thomas has a .920 SV% in 2011-12, so I'm not sure how that constitutes "mediocre".

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

1. Thomas was very good his last season.
2. Mason has succeeded at virtually every level and has the tools to succeed here too. He's young enough that he can turn it around. I'm not convinced he will turn it around but for 1.5 mil I'm inclined to give him a shot.
3. Flyers have a very promising goalie that is still several yrs away. I see no reason the Flyers should give up valuable assets when we may already have the answer in our system. I'd much prefer to wait but thanks.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Thomas was 11th in SV%, 12th in GAA, tied for 5th in wins. That is hardly mediocre.

Solefool

Jul 2, 2013
Homer needs to make this happen. Thomas and Mason would be such a dope tandem. Thomas, in particular, would embrace the city.

Unstable

Apr 26, 2006
Exiled in NoVA

Feel free to make a suggestion. Good goalies don't just grow on trees, you know. But no, apparently just like all the idiots in the main board Vinny thread are saying, NHL GMs have magic wands that they wave and that make the players their teams most badly need suddenly appear as reasonably priced trade possibilities. Blah blah blah.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
If TT comes here, I hope he realizes Mason will not just ride the pine like a regular backup. Mason will be given 1/3 or 1/4 of the starts. I think its pretty clear they would like him to be the long-term solution. He just has to show what he can do playing on a real team.

RJ8812*

If TT comes here, I hope he realizes Mason will not just ride the pine like a regular backup. Mason will be given 1/3 or 1/4 of the starts. I think its pretty clear they would like him to be the long-term solution. He just has to show what he can do playing on a real team.

That's nothing new for Thomas. Look how much Rask played when Thomas was in BOS

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1