Rumor: Tim Thomas

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Doesn't capgeek automatically include the bonus cushion now? I think they said they do that because every year there is one.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Our options do blow. There is no sure thing. I'm increasingly leaning towards Thomas because I think that will generate the most outrage in other fanbases.

Is that a good reason? Hell no, it's a complete garbage reason. But at this point, whatever. I'm completely spent on the goaltending issue after the Bryzaster, I'm not gonna worry about it until the season starts and there's something worth worrying over.

I feel like Mason with one of Thomas, Khudobin or even Theodore would be a big upgrade from what Bryzgalov gave us last year.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Why is no one talking about Thomas Greiss as a potential backup? He seems at least as good as Khudobin, no?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Why Columbus? Didn't they just sign bob to a deal over 5 million?

There were rumors they were going to reach out to him, Eklund reported it, and then other did as well. So it's not as far fetched as one would think. They want a goalie who brings a veteran presence to help Bob. Thomas would definitely meet that criteria.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Why is no one talking about Thomas Greiss as a potential backup? He seems at least as good as Khudobin, no?

Do we need a backup? I don't think Mason is ready for a starter role. Getting someone like Bernier would be different, but a plain backup like Greiss, Emery or Theodore is asking for more goalie problems.

I think it needs to be either Halak, Miller or hopefully Thomas if we want some consistency in net.

Thomas may not be consistent with his time off, he's more of a risk, but he could end up being the best of anything available. At worst I expect him to be around the level of any of those backups, and as long as the deal is short that isn't a terrible risk. Most importantly, he wouldn't cost anything like Halak and Miller would.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Do we need a backup? I don't think Mason is ready for a starter role. Getting someone like Bernier would be different, but a plain backup like Greiss, Emery or Theodore is asking for more goalie problems.

I think it needs to be either Halak, Miller or hopefully Thomas if we want some consistency in net.

Thomas may not be consistent with his time off, he's more of a risk, but he could end up being the best of anything available. At worst I expect him to be around the level of any of those backups, and as long as the deal is short that isn't a terrible risk. Most importantly, he wouldn't cost anything like Halak and Miller would.

I'm just saying if people are throwing Khudobin's name around, Greiss's name should be in there too. Comparable age and stats. Greiss would probably be cheaper I would imagine.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There were rumors they were going to reach out to him, Eklund reported it, and then other did as well. So it's not as far fetched as one would think. They want a goalie who brings a veteran presence to help Bob. Thomas would definitely meet that criteria.

I thought that was when they weren't sure about resigning Bob.

I can't see Columbus paying their goalies $9 million this season, and you know Thomas is going to want $3.5 million or more to make coming back worth his while.

n62

Oct 18, 2011
Dry Island
Saw this in another thread but it will likely have huge bearing on where Thomas will end up. We all know how he feels about taxes and the almighty dollar

fp0630_hockey_salaries9401.gif

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Snider and he share the same politics.

Economically, yes. Otherwise, not necessarily. I've heard, from Snider's own mouth, his entire philosophical view point. It's a complicated back story, but basically I used to be part of a small intellectual group of friends and Snider was asked to speak, and he did. Snider has economical agreement with Thomas, but not necessarily moral or religious. As an aside, he couldn't be a more nicer guy, and he cares very much about morality and integrity.

THAT BEING SAID-- if there is one place Thomas can feel comfortable holding those views without getting grief about them, I would imagine he would fit in with Snider's circle.

But, I'll break it down for you.

Snider is a laissez-faire capitalist, close to libertarian in viewpoint, who is much more secular and less religious. His morals are more liberal, but not entirely.
Thomas is a neoconservative capitalist, who aligns himself with Glenn Beck, who are staunchly religious. His morals are very right-leaning.

Last edited:

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I don't think Thomas gets any more than Nabokov. Ie. 3mm or lower. There is no bidding war for him and he should just be hoping for a shot.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
If Thomas really wants to win he will be a Flyer. And if he is a Flyer and this team doesn't play defense in front of him I am sure he will get on their case and then on the coaches case if he doesn't get the team to play better team defense. This will be a stacked team with him here and the defense isn't as bad as some think.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Economically, yes. Otherwise, not necessarily. I've heard, from Snider's own mouth, his entire philosophical view point. It's a complicated back story, but basically I used to be part of a small intellectual group of friends and Snider was asked to speak, and he did. Snider has economical agreement with Thomas, but not necessarily moral or religious. As an aside, he couldn't be a more nicer guy, and he cares very much about morality and integrity.

THAT BEING SAID-- if there is one place Thomas can feel comfortable holding those views without getting grief about them, I would imagine he would fit in with Snider's circle.

But, I'll break it down for you.

Snider is a laissez-faire capitalist, close to libertarian in viewpoint, who is much more secular and less religious. His morals are more liberal, but not entirely.
Thomas is a neoconservative capitalist, who aligns himself with Glenn Beck, who are staunchly religious. His morals are very right-leaning.

Ayn Rand acolyte? Yeah she was a good philosopher and writer...but applyling her principles to econ is devoid of pragmatism. Having said this Snider sounds at least more measured than Thomas but to each their own.

On that note, I don't think I want Thomas here anymore....I think he is looking for more money and years than we should want to afford. A guy like Halak would work better. More like a Vokoun fill in for a year.

RJ8812*

I don't think Thomas gets any more than Nabokov. Ie. 3mm or lower. There is no bidding war for him and he should just be hoping for a shot.

No bidding war? ha.....

There was no bidding war for Bryz either, but somehow Homer got into a bidding war with himself

n62

Oct 18, 2011
Dry Island
Yes Snider is a huge fan of Ayn Rand:

"In 1985, Snider was one of the founding contributors of the Ayn Rand Institute, which was established by the philosopher Leonard Peikoff to promote the advancement of Objectivism. In 1990, after the Peikoff-Kelley split (see Objectivist Movement), Snider became a backer of the rival organization now known as The Atlas Society."

"Ed Snider is the executive producer of the film Atlas Shrugged: Part I. In an interview published in the Philadelphia Metro newspaper on April 26, 2011, Snider was quoted as saying "They tried to make this film for 50 years ... Hollywood did not want to make this movie because it did not adhere to its liberal agenda."

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Yes Snider is a huge fan of Ayn Rand:

"In 1985, Snider was one of the founding contributors of the Ayn Rand Institute, which was established by the philosopher Leonard Peikoff to promote the advancement of Objectivism. In 1990, after the Peikoff-Kelley split (see Objectivist Movement), Snider became a backer of the rival organization now known as The Atlas Society."

"Ed Snider is the executive producer of the film Atlas Shrugged: Part I. In an interview published in the Philadelphia Metro newspaper on April 26, 2011, Snider was quoted as saying "They tried to make this film for 50 years ... Hollywood did not want to make this movie because it did not adhere to its liberal agenda."

That is what I figured....not my cup of tea that is for sure. Small l libertarians are ok...Big L types frighten me in some aspects. Anyway....he has his interests that align with that philosophy so only normal ...

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I purposefully tried not to get into it too much, because I'm not trying to turn this into a politics thread. My point is that Thomas's viewpoint does not fit entirely, as people are glossing over a bit. It "mostly" fits.

In that circle, I'm just speculating here, he would be that friend of yours who you really like and agree with on most things, but then he starts talking about aliens building the pyramids and you just ignore it and pass it off as him being wacky.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I feel like Mason with one of Thomas, Khudobin or even Theodore would be a big upgrade from what Bryzgalov gave us last year.

Simply not having Bryzgalov is an upgrade over Bryzgalov. He was seriously one of the worst goalies in the league last year. A lot of backups were better.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I purposefully tried not to get into it too much, because I'm not trying to turn this into a politics thread. My point is that Thomas's viewpoint does not fit entirely, as people are glossing over a bit. It "mostly" fits.

In that circle, I'm just speculating here, he would be that friend of yours who you really like and agree with on most things, but then he starts talking about aliens building the pyramids and you just ignore it and pass it off as him being wacky.

Yeah I picked up your main premise.....

Thomas is more of the astro-turf tea party dude (Gun's, God and g@ys kind of stuff) and Snider is more your traditional Ayn Rand "l"ibertatian or "L"ibertarian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad