Rumor: Tim Thomas

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
:stanley:

---------------

Former Conn Smythe Trophy winner Tim Thomas is looking to make his return to the NHL next season following a year of self-imposed absence from the league.

Thomas' agent, Bill Zito, announced his client's intentions via his Twitter account Monday afternoon.
"Tim Thomas has asked me to explore possible options for next season. We'll have no further comment at this time. Thanks," Zito tweeted.

Judging from the announcement, the 39-year-old Thomas appears to be ready to hit the market as an unrestricted free agent on July 5, which means the New York Islanders have chosen not to toll his contract for next season.

The Islanders acquired the controversial goaltender this season in a trade with the Boston Bruins -- a move largely believed to be a beneficial salary-cap transaction for both teams -- though Thomas refused to report to New York and was subsequently suspended by the team.

Neither Islanders officials nor Zito could be immediately reached for comment.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/sto...attempt-return-nhl-following-one-year-absence

Last edited by a moderator:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think the reactions of some on here will be worth it alone.

With Hasek taking years off at an older age than Thomas and still playing well is encouraging. I'm
cautiously optimistic on signing Thomas.

MacFlyer

Jul 20, 2012
I'd give it a 75% chance. If no more than 2 years, not sure there's a better option out there. He's got the most upside (i.e. his former self is better than anyone else's upside). And he's the best mentor for mason. Better option than halak because we don't give anyone up. If mason's not the real deal in two years, we go on the hunt again...

3Fs

Sep 22, 2005
Western Pa.
I think it would be good if 1-2 years at a reasonable cap hit. Would be a good mentor to Mason.

Giroux It

Mar 30, 2013
Elizabethtown, PA
I'd give it a 75% chance. If no more than 2 years, not sure there's a better option out there. He's got the most upside (i.e. his former self is better than anyone else's upside). And he's the best mentor for mason. Better option than halak because we don't give anyone up. If mason's not the real deal in two years, we go on the hunt again...

I dont think Thomas would take 2 years. I think there are alot of teams who have interest in a Goalie. I would think Thomas bidding will start at 3-4 years.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I don't think years or money will be a real issue here. His main motivation as to why he's coming back is to get a shot at Sochi. He forfeited about $5M last year to take off. I don't think he's looking for a payday or a more than a year contract for now.

I think he's looking for the best fit more than the terms.

Brostradamus

LegionOfDoom Reunion
Feb 2, 2012
Dub C
Hell no. Don't want the distraction, don't think he still has it, more of a liability to this team than an asset. Plenty of other goalies to backup Mason since that seems to be the organizations plan....

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
my issue is at his age he takes a year off, how long will it take to get the rust off and at some point age will catch up to him

I'm not worried about that. Age is just a number ecspecially if you take care of yourself. A lot of guys play into their 40's. He can do it. Like I said he's a gamer.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
Not many on here (me included) supported Bryz's play, that's what he was trying to get at that there.

Gotcha. Bryz's play to me was in between his supporters and his haters. Which is nowhere near what it should of been for his salary. All good. Tim Thomas is what this team needs.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Jesse Spector, Sporting News:

Thomas has not posted on Facebook since Feb. 27, when he quoted a Bible passage: “1 Corinthians 9:25 (NIV) Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.”

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/sto...ter-facebook-goalie-boston-bruins-stanley-cup

Hopefully that means Thomas has been training since at least February. I doubt he would decide to come back to the NHL on a fleeting impulse after sitting around on his butt for months, as some have feared. Personal pride is on the line, after all. Pros don't like to embarrass themselves on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad