Player Discussion Tim Schaller

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Time to bump this bad boy.

Shots from the point and Schaller being too slow to contest them.

Name a more iconic duo. On the ice for all goals last night.

This guy is an absolute trashcan. The stupidity and incompetence of James Elmer Benning continues to blow my mind. Instead of just going with the cheap, hardworking, defensively reliable homegrown guy in Gaunce, Jimbo has to go out of his way to dip into the UFA market and overpay for these pathetic Boston Bruins leftovers. Giving an AHLer a guaranteed almost 4 million dollars just to marginalize the younger guy who had honestly paid his dues developing in the organisation and played well last season. The classic Jimbo move of squandering significant money and assets to make the team worse on the ice and far less likable. Disgusting.

Pretty much exactly this.

We spend 5 years developing a likeable homegrown player who last year stepped up to effectively take tough defensive minutes and look like a solid piece going forward ... so we promptly throw him on the scrap pile to parachute this reject in from Boston who is worse at both ends of the ice, is 4 years older, and costs more than twice as much.

Sickening.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Had forgotten that he had major hand surgery in the offseason. What a mess of a signing, and sadly is the best of the UFA signings somehow.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Surely this latest face-plant in the free agent market has to result in a shakeup in the hockey ops department. Who makes the call on guys like Schaller, Roussel, Gagner, Del Zotto and Eriksson in the first place? How can these player personnel gurus consistently whiff, offering up bad money and even worse contract length to guys who just take up roster space?

In the aforementioned FA's, including Beagle, the Canucks have a whopping $17m tied up under the salary cap. And not one of those guys couldn't be replaced by somebody from Utica with zero impact on the on-ice performance. If you or I ran our business that way, we'd be fired pure and simple.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Not to mention our previous UFA signings be AWFUL. Del Zotto makes Guddy look Norris worthy, and Sam Gagner gets waived only to get called up and somehow lead all the forwards in ice time? Jesus Christ.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Absolute trash player. Defensive liability and doesn't produce anything.

Not sure what they in this guy, let alone what they saw that indicated he was worth 1.9 million per year. Probably just looked at his HockeyDB page and saw he scored 12 goals last year.

Reactions: Peen and vanuck

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
It's almost unbelievable that a guy could play nearly half of his minutes in the top 6 with centers who are scoring at 70-80 point paces, yet still only manage 3 measly points in 23 games.

It's also almost unbelievable that anyone could construct a lineup so terrible that a guy like Tim Schaller spends half of his TOI in the season to date in your top 6, but here we are. Hell, Gaunce has as many points in 23 minutes this year as Schaller does in nearly 300 minutes. What a complete and utter bust of a signing.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Absolute trash player. Defensive liability and doesn't produce anything.

Not sure what they in this guy, let alone what they saw that indicated he was worth 1.9 million per year. Probably just looked at his HockeyDB page and saw he scored 12 goals last year.

Remember the game where Gudbranson smashed a guy from behind against Boston, cost us the game and got suspended?

Schaller fought Gudbranson after that hit.

That fight probably made him $4 million.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
He looks like a carbon copy of Gaunce on the ice lol. In terms of the eye test. Pretty useless player.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Hasn't been good for you guys? That's too bad.
We are a very bad team and hes perhaps the worst forward for us this year

Not the worst player tho. He cant compete with Pouliot Gudbranson and MDZ in that category

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
He looks like a carbon copy of Gaunce on the ice lol. In terms of the eye test. Pretty useless player.
I have not every been a Gaunce fan, but thought he had some bite in his first two games with us this year. Didnt really understand why he didnt get a few more games esp during this HELLA long losing streak

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Schaller was actually really impressive last season on his role with Boston. He played on the 4th line with Kuraly and Acciari, they started a lot of their shifts in the d-zone. I don't know their corsi stats, but they were in the offensive zone a lot with possession in the corners and just cycling for a shot from the point, then they crashed the net.

We should be doing what Boston is doing, playing their own homegrown developed players. Kuraly, Acciari, DeBrusk, Forsbacka-Karlsson, etc.

I agree with others that Gaunce should get a chance to be a mainstay on the 4th line. Play him at LW, I don't even mind the Beagle signing because he's a quality player, he's been healthy his whole career, and he takes tough minutes so Horvat/Pettersson don't have to.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
Its just clear with this management that they make a decision and will not change it no matter what.
They decided Gaunce isn't what they want so they bring in his older clone for double the pay for some reason.
I could understand if they pushed him out for some quality player or someone with some upside but why schaller? our roussell for that matter.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Its just clear with this management that they make a decision and will not change it no matter what.
They decided Gaunce isn't what they want so they bring in his older clone for double the pay for some reason.
I could understand if they pushed him out for some quality player or someone with some upside but why schaller? our roussell for that matter.

Management is dumb so they do stupid things. Typical of what we've seen from them ever since they were put in place, and the Schaller signing is just another prime example. Notice how absolutely nobody is defending this player now, if at all or ever. :laugh:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
2 empty netters, but I see your point.
Sure they're empty-netters, but you have to earn the trust of the coaches to be out there in the last minute of a game with a one-goal lead, otherwise you wouldn't be in a position to score them at all.

As far as Schaller it's just another in a long line of awful UFA signings. You could argue that over the past three seasons the Canucks have the worst record in signing UFA's of any team in hockey. A total of 11 according to my count, and all basically busts. Can we just send Benning on long vacation sometime around July 1st every year?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Sure they're empty-netters, but you have to earn the trust of the coaches to be out there in the last minute of a game with a one-goal lead, otherwise you wouldn't be in a position to score them at all.

As far as Schaller it's just another in a long line of awful UFA signings. You could argue that over the past three seasons the Canucks have the worst record in signing UFA's of any team in hockey. A total of 11 according to my count, and all basically busts. Can we just send Benning on long vacation sometime around July 1st every year?
Stecher was a solid free agent signing. After that though, pickings get pretty slim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad