Player Discussion Tim Schaller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Sure they're empty-netters, but you have to earn the trust of the coaches to be out there in the last minute of a game with a one-goal lead, otherwise you wouldn't be in a position to score them at all.

As far as Schaller it's just another in a long line of awful UFA signings. You could argue that over the past three seasons the Canucks have the worst record in signing UFA's of any team in hockey. A total of 11 according to my count, and all basically busts. Can we just send Benning on long vacation sometime around July 1st every year?

I hear the north pole is nice around that time of year and there's likely no phone coverage up there,either.Maybe we can crowdfund to buy him a ticket and I'll drive him to the airport.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Gaunce with another goal tonight in the AHL....Utica-watchers saying he looks quicker than after some of his recent assignments from the NHL. During the summer there were posters hoping he'd get a chance to stick in VanCity.....they panned the signing of Schaller who basically does the same job at twice the money.

You know what, they were right. And Gaunce has the advantage of versatility because he can play wing or center, and even take faceoffs. But while Schaller is in the press-box in Vancouver, Gaunce is stuck in the minors. It's beyond pathetic, really.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
When something is copied the copy is always worse quality than the original.

Schaller is a copy of series of copies of Gaunce

They might be a copy in terms of their boringness, but, like, gaunce was actually effective? I don't recall gaunce riding shotgun with Horvat for a dozen games and confusing the puck for a wagon wheel. I remember him taking tough assignments and almost never getting scored on.

Reactions: vanuck and MS

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Nope. Schaller is more like a less skilled version of Canucks era Eriksson. He's "just there". Only less of it.
Or, alternatively, he's a slower version of Darren Archibald that doesn't hit, never drops the gloves, can't give or receive a pass, never scores and has zero penalty minutes in a fourth line grinder's role. You could look at it that way too.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Or, alternatively, he's a slower version of Darren Archibald that doesn't hit, never drops the gloves, can't give or receive a pass, never scores and has zero penalty minutes in a fourth line grinder's role. You could look at it that way too.
Yep, that describes Sam Gagner just about perfectly....and at $3m a season for the next two years; coupled with Schaller at $1.9m, that's close to $5m a season tied up in two guys who are older, not as versatile as Gaunce, and belong in the minors. But the difference is the GM blew his brains out signing them to ludicrous contracts in the first place, so Gaunce is the odd man out. It's basically all politics.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't know why Benning is being blamed for Gaunce being in Utica. Reportedly, the Canucks were very high on Gaunce. Travis Green is very familiar with what Gaunce can do. So Benning was willing to waive Gagner and send him to the AHL but he's waiving Gaunce instead of Schaller instead because of politics?

Most AHL coaches who get promoted to the NHL within the organization have players they bring along from the AHL. AV brought some players along with him. Travis Green? He seems to favour his Portland guys instead.

Green clearly trusts Schaller more than Gaunce. I said this from the start, Schaller's signing was writing on the wall for Gaunce as Schaller basically plays the way Green wants Gaunce to play.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Green clearly trusts Schaller more than Gaunce. I said this from the start, Schaller's signing was writing on the wall for Gaunce as Schaller basically plays the way Green wants Gaunce to play.

And this is what makes Green look bad. Not necessarly because Gaunce is so darn good but rather because Schaller is as useless as it gets for an NHL player.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I don't know why Benning is being blamed for Gaunce being in Utica. Reportedly, the Canucks were very high on Gaunce. Travis Green is very familiar with what Gaunce can do. So Benning was willing to waive Gagner and send him to the AHL but he's waiving Gaunce instead of Schaller instead because of politics?

Most AHL coaches who get promoted to the NHL within the organization have players they bring along from the AHL. AV brought some players along with him. Travis Green? He seems to favour his Portland guys instead.

So he wants Gaunce to play really really crappy and non efficient??

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Schaller is kind of a neat story. No skills whatsoever, can hardly skate, but despite lacking the ability to play the game he managed to secure multiple nhl contracts. It's pretty impressive tbh.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
By my estimation there are at least six forwards in Utica who would bring more to the table than Schaller...The guy's lack of skill is almost jaw-dropping. How this guy scored 13 times in Boston last year is one of the mysteries of the universe.

Another of Jimbo's awful UFA signings. The Canucks GM does have a talent for signing and overpaying flotsam and jetsam on July 1st.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

How is that, exactly?

Schaller basically plays like Gaunce, only with less offense, fewer puck battles won, worse defensive play, fewer hits, and no ability to play C.

It's a total joke that we spend 6 years grooming a player to be an effective bottom-6 guy and when he reaches that level, we immediately boot him out to bring in an older, more expensive player who is worse at absolutely everything.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Any interest in acquiring his linemate Acciari? They were a great fourth line for us. We'd like to get Virtanen so we'd be willing to add.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Stecher was a solid free agent signing. After that though, pickings get pretty slim.

Stecher was a prospect signed out of college so he would be a recommendation from our US based amateur scouts who have been stellar.

It’s our pro scouting that’s beyond terrible.Vanek was good but the rest of them have been so inexcusably bad that the entire department should be canned ASAP.Also,Benning should not be allowed within 50 miles of a contract negotiation session,how the guy can keep paying out big money to marginal players is mind boggling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hit the post

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
This team's pro-scouting is a joke. After watching Schaller for 25 games now, I don't understand what anyone could've seen in him that made them go "yeah, that guy", other than his HockeyDB profile. Mind-boggling.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
This team's pro-scouting is a joke. After watching Schaller for 25 games now, I don't understand what anyone could've seen in him that made them go "yeah, that guy", other than his HockeyDB profile. Mind-boggling.

Looked at his hockeydb, then nhl.com toi and thought he could be decent. Had never heard of the guy.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
He had that 'blip' on this career (12 goals) which came at JUST the right time & it suckered Benning. Pro scouting is the culprit again. Worse, Benning somehow gave him a two year deal because, well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad