Toronto
Canucks sign Tim Schaller

501757e03a9dd8e6c0af55616926fa4e.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
What type of player is he? Why did we sign him with players like Goldobin fighting for ice time and redundant players like Gagner still on the team?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
From TNH's scouting report. Interesting that he used to play defense:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180701-171525_1.jpg
    Screenshot_20180701-171525_1.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 26

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I'm assuming he plays 4th line LW and Roussel plays 3rd line LW? I'm hoping Schaller uses his size to punish opposing players and along with Beagle should create a shutdown 4th line. Not a glamorous signing but a useful one I hope. Lead Bruins last year on PK time so helps on that end as well.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i know nothing about this guy beyond what i have read today. seems like he could be ok especially if there is any centre left in him.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Looks like part of the answer for the PK maybe. Our PK was an absolute disaster last year, not sure if people remember. Schaller, Beagle and Roussel should help there, I think. Small victories.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Looks like part of the answer for the PK maybe. Our PK was an absolute disaster last year, not sure if people remember. Schaller, Beagle and Roussel should help there, I think. Small victories.
Well, Roussel's going to be the one in the box most of the time so don't expect much PK time from him...

Reactions: ziploc

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
This is my least favorite signing of the day, and I still don't hate it. He kills penalties, can play a shutdown role and maybe chip in a few goals, and got this ideal term everyone here is chirping about. I just don't see him as an improvement over existing assets. I am hoping he proves me wrong though.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Does anyone have any insight into this guy having watched him play? I know nothing about this guy - an honest assessment would be appreciated. He has some size - wondering if he plays a heavy and physical game? Will he drop the gloves if needed to protect his teammates?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
What type of player is he? Why did we sign him with players like Goldobin fighting for ice time and redundant players like Gagner still on the team?

classic not overly talent but hard working, diligent 4th liner,

Solid size.

1.6 hits per game. (Gaunce/Chaput/Dowd rate)

Passable advanced stats for a 4th liner with Dzone starts and PK work.

Bruins guy described him thus

Played mostly wing for Boston, and was a key part of their PK. Not a big offensive threat, but did score a couple pretty goals at big moments. I would've like the B's to bring him back. Not soft, but not super physical. Very responsible player.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Does anyone have any insight into this guy having watched him play? I know nothing about this guy - an honest assessment would be appreciated. He has some size - wondering if he plays a heavy and physical game? Will he drop the gloves if needed to protect his teammates?
not overly physical. fought twice last year and once the year before. 8 fights total in 5 years of pro-hockey so he's not much a fighter, more responsible plug.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Well, Roussel's going to be the one in the box most of the time so don't expect much PK time from him...
Yeah but not all of the PKs he will be the one in the box. When is someone else hes a penalty killer is what that poster meant. Yeesh pal

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ok player and the best contract of the day but still kinda redundant. Not sure what he brings that Archibald/Gaunce/Virtanen don't.

Useful depth and not a horrible overpayment though.

Had major hand surgery last month and will be recovering all summer. Don't expect him to be fighting much going forward.

Verbalyst

Jan 9, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I watched Schaller when he played for Buffalo. I think most fans were in agreement that the guy can play. I think he's a perfect fit for Travis Green's system. He can skate well and hassle players on the forecheck

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Ok player and the best contract of the day but still kinda redundant. Not sure what he brings that Archibald/Gaunce/Virtanen don't.

Useful depth and not a horrible overpayment though.

Had major hand surgery last month and will be recovering all summer. Don't expect him to be fighting much going forward.

:facepalm: Of course he did.

Yeah but not all of the PKs he will be the one in the box. When is someone else hes a penalty killer is what that poster meant. Yeesh pal

2529jx.jpg

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
This seems like another Bartkowski sort of signing.

He is an improvement over, say, Gaunce, at least on paper, and it's only short term cap space, so I don't feel it's a bad contract, or at least as bad as Bartkowski's was under different, cap crunch, circumstances, I just see him as a 13th forward for this team. And again, the only downside is cap space, which we have in abundance.

A line of Roussel, Beagle and Schaller could do some damage to scoring threats at least though, and that frees up Horvat and even Sutter to get out of match up duties with other teams top lines.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Watched Schaller play a lot versus Utica. Was a kind of in your face, abrasive player that played honest physical hockey. Could produce some offense but seemed mostly a hard skater, high energy player that was best as a forechecker.

One quality that stood out was that he seemed a team leader and asserted himself in scrums and melees. Kind of player that you didn't like on the other team. Little like Archibald (at the AHL level) in this. Indeed Archibald is a comparable to Schaller and likely they are competing for the same position.

Think it was a surprise that he had the kind of year he had last year in Boston. Produced a lot more offense than his play in the AHL would have suggested possible. Probably a one off in terms of him providing offense at the NHL level.

Type of player that will bang bodies, back up team mates and keep pressure on the other team. Would say quite limited in the play making department and, in fact, inferior to someone like Archibald.

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Was a real fan favorite in Boston. Very good on the PK, solid 3rd/4th line player who can score when needed.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Really seems like a Gaunce replacement. Doesn't sound like he's fast, can be physical, is responsible defensively and good on the PK. They are almost the identical size. Difference at this stage is that his scoring rate is a little higher. We may be looking at what Gaunce will be at 27 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad