Confirmed with Link: Tim Burke promoted to Assistant GM DWJR to Dir. of Scouting

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I do agree that the Sharks need to prioritize talent when drafting, but don't we also need affordable depth players to fill out the roster? Considering that we only pick late, many of the higher potential players that are available will have little chance of making the NHL. So it's better to draft players that will make the roster and are affordable. It's also expensive to sign depth players through free agency. Didn't Wilson just offload Boedker who was overpaid at 4 million? Sure we need talent, but we also need to take advantage of cheap ELC.
I don't think that's a good way to look at it. Absolutely, a team needs depth players but targeting them relatively early in the draft isn't really the way to go. It's been often noted and recently in our draft video, every player is risky and if that's going to be the case, you should draft for the highest upside and there's no type of player that is virtually guaranteed to make the NHL. Although this is one thing that kind of bugs me though. I don't really like how different styles of play have been equated to different levels of upside. Defensively sound player = safe player, virtually guaranteed to make the NHL. Offensive player that puts up gajillion points = boom or bust. It's kinda dumb.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Should be a big year for Timo, im sure he'll learn a thing or two from Kane. As will Hertl I think.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
2 points:
Based on Meier's 2018 production and development trajectory, 20/40 is more a reasonable floor than a reasonable expectation.

The Sharks did not pay through the nose for Thorton or Burns, so the notion it is completely impossible to get a player in that echelon without paying through the nose is more hyperbole. And both of them have pulled together more than one good season. Time will tell whether Barzal is what people thinks he is.
I'd be pretty disappointed if Meier only put up 40 tbh. Remember that he only started to produce starting from December. From then on, he was producing at a 45 point rate with pretty inconsistent usage. I think 50 points would be a reasonable bet.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
They did pay through the nose for Burns.

Setoguchi was an 8th overall pick in 2005. He was 24 years old and averaged 24 goals and 23 assists in the 3 seasons prior to the trade.

Coyle was a 28th overall pick in the year before he was traded and he was trending towards being a strong NHL player; his potential was well known. He ended up being a decent middle-6 forward.

The 28th overall pick in 2011 ended up busting but it was still another 1st round pick.

An equivalent package right now would be Meier, Norris, and the 21st overall at the draft.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I do agree that the Sharks need to prioritize talent when drafting, but don't we also need affordable depth players to fill out the roster? Considering that we only pick late, many of the higher potential players that are available will have little chance of making the NHL. So it's better to draft players that will make the roster and are affordable. It's also expensive to sign depth players through free agency. Didn't Wilson just offload Boedker who was overpaid at 4 million? Sure we need talent, but we also need to take advantage of cheap ELC.

Sure, it’s nice to have cheap young depth on ELCs. But you don’t havent draft those players because you know what’s available every single year? Free cheap young depth players. Look at Anthony Duclair, for example. Yunno where the Sharks get a lot of their depth from? Euro and un-drafted free agents. Look at Karlsson, Donskoi, Goodrow, Carpenter, Heed, Sorensen, etc. The Sharks are very good at picking up these guys for free, so why spend picks on the same type of guys?

Again, I do understand that it’s nice to have depth on ELCs. I just don’t think it’s worth spending picks on them. It was nice to have Nieto in our bottom-6. He was a quality depth player and deserved regular minutes. But is Goodrow really that much of a downgrade from him? Would you really consider Nieto to be a “draft success”? I’ll fully admit that I loved the Matt Nieto pick at the time of the draft and defended his usefulness well past its expiration date, but I also knew very little about draft prospects at the time, but in hindsight, was Nieto really a “good” pick when William Karlsson, Nikita Kucherov, and Vincent Trocheck were drafted within thirty picks behind him? We got Goodrow, a similar player, for free. Again, I don’t think Nieto was a bad pick and since I didn’t follow the draft much at the time I can’t speak on if Kucherov were obvious or not at the time. Trocheck’s stats didn’t scream “draft steal” like Point’s, for example, so I don’t really blame DW/Burke for passing on him. I don’t think Nieto was a bad pick, per se, because getting an NHL regular out of a 2nd round pick is typically good, but I wouldn’t exactly tout him as an example of DW/Burke’s drafting prowess either. Yes, they got an NHL player in the 2nd round, which is more than most teams can say, but they also didn’t get a real impact player. That’s sort of the story of the past ten years of Sharks’ drafting. They’re good at getting depth players in the draft, but they can’t draft impact players. Considering we’re touted for drafting the Pavelskis, Clowes, Vlasics, etc. you’d think we’d have found one single player like that in the past ten years. I would trade every single player we’ve drafted in the past decade other than Hertl and Meier (two early-mid first round picks) for one Kucherov.

Reactions: Maladroit

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
2 points:
Based on Meier's 2018 production and development trajectory, 20/40 is more a reasonable floor than a reasonable expectation.

The Sharks did not pay through the nose for Thorton or Burns, so the notion it is completely impossible to get a player in that echelon without paying through the nose is more hyperbole. And both of them have pulled together more than one good season. Time will tell whether Barzal is what people thinks he is.

I really don't think it's rational to build a team banking on making another Joe Thornton trade.

I hope Meier scores 30 and 60 but only around 30 players in the NHL managed that this past season. Meier is definitely not one of the thirty best scorers in the league and it's not reasonable to expect him to develop into a player of that caliber next season. I think he'll take his game a few steps forward but if you look at our depth chart he's not getting minutes over Evander Kane or Hertl/Couture (whoever you consider the LW on that line) at even strength and if he's getting power play time at all it'll be on the garbage second unit that has like Vlasic and DeMelo on it. I don't see where this extra production is going to come from and that's not entirely Meier's fault.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011

Setoguchi was an 8th overall pick in 2005. He was 24 years old and averaged 24 goals and 23 assists in the 3 seasons prior to the trade.

Coyle was a 28th overall pick in the year before he was traded and he was trending towards being a strong NHL player; his potential was well known. He ended up being a decent middle-6 forward.

The 28th overall pick in 2011 ended up busting but it was still another 1st round pick.

An equivalent package right now would be Meier, Norris, and the 21st overall at the draft.

Seto's substance abuse issues were already present when he was traded. His inclusion was in part to get him away from the other young players.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I really don't think it's rational to build a team banking on making another Joe Thornton trade.

I hope Meier scores 30 and 60 but only around 30 players in the NHL managed that this past season. Meier is definitely not one of the thirty best scorers in the league and it's not reasonable to expect him to develop into a player of that caliber next season. I think he'll take his game a few steps forward but if you look at our depth chart he's not getting minutes over Evander Kane or Hertl/Couture (whoever you consider the LW on that line) at even strength and if he's getting power play time at all it'll be on the garbage second unit that has like Vlasic and DeMelo on it. I don't see where this extra production is going to come from and that's not entirely Meier's fault.

It is not rational to bank on building a team on making another Thornton trade. But that isn't the point. The point is it has happened, so it is not impossible.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

They didn't. A late 1st, Setoguchi - who already had question marks and ultimately washed out of the league (likely due to those question marks), and a prospect- who has ultimately translated as a 2nd line F.

When you spin it as 3 1st round picks, it really overstates the actual impact to the Sharks.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Oh no, don't you go pulling me into another thread of misery and collective teeth-gnashing. Mention me in a thread about Sharkie. He has yet to earn the ire of this place.

Probably because he wasn't drafted...

He's a noted diver. Is that the example we want our mascot setting?

Reactions: Sandisfan

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Remember, Meier was 2nd on the team in 5V5 points this year. The highest Hertl has ever finished was 3rd, he did it in his D+3 season (this upcoming season for Meier), and he mostly did it because he was playing with the Joes.

seen you post this a few times and when i tried to confirm it, i could not find a good source for these stats. what do you use?

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
seen you post this a few times and when i tried to confirm it, i could not find a good source for these stats. what do you use?

Natural Stat Trick - Sharks 5V5 regular season individual stats 2017-2018

I use Natural Stat Trick because the user interface is very smooth on mobile. Some prefer Corsica.hockey. Corsica has Meier, Couture, Pavelski, and Braun each with one less 5V5 point than Natural Stat Trick, so Meier is still tied for 2nd, and Burns has two less 5V5 points on Corsica; all of which is odd and slightly concerning but not a big deal.

I’m not counting Kane’s numbers with Buffalo as part of our 5V5 scoring totals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
and you gotta admit those stats do a heavy bit of contextualizing, since it's really tied with 3 other guys (so 2nd is as good as 5th), and one of those guys is justin braun.
and the next guy was boedker.

ratewise donskoi and boedker probably would have caught up with the same minutes, and kane would have almost lapped the field.

that said the goalscoring is huge.

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Mueller is looking like a decent bottom pairing defenseman? That's news to me considering he couldn't crack the worst blueline in the NHL this year. He's a complete bust as was blatantly obvious at the time of the draft given his very low level of offensive production in junior. Burke convinced Wilson to spend a 2nd round pick to trade up two spots to take this guy.

In retrospect, it seems like the Sharks were trying to get someone who could play well with Burns. T-Mac was committed to moving Burns to forward, and then they rushed his development and it was all for naught, but I get the impulse. Of course, in lieu of Mueller the Sharks got Martin. That cost them millions in salary cap and real money.

Meier is a fine player. You can't settle for "fine players" at ninth overall especially when you're running a team like the Sharks that never ever picks there. The only point of the draft is to land high-end talent. There is no excuse for ever picking a player who you don't believe to have the highest potential upside of everyone still available. Meier is solid but it's not like you can't sign Patrick Maroon for $3mil/year a week into free agency to do everything Meier does.

For the record, I'd put Meier right in the same class as Rantanen and Connor, and while Barzal has separated himself from the pack, that could easily change given the sample size.

You will never land a Barzal-like player outside of the draft.

If Barzal does turn out to be a franchise-caliber center, it will be one of the few times in NHL history that such a player was drafted outside of the top-5 in the draft. I would agree that you will "never" land a Barzal-like player outside of the draft (except for Niedermayer, Pronger, Tavares, Thornton, Seguin, Hall, Parise, Suter, Burns, apparently Erik Karlsson, etc.) in the same way that you will "never" land a Barzal-like player outside of the top-10 in a draft (except for Kopitar, Subban, Karlsson, Giroux, Tarasenko, Barzal, etc.).

Put another way, hanging your hopes on drafting a superstar player (especially a forward) outside of the top-5 in a draft is a terrible strategy.

The bottom line is that we could have Barzal, Fabbri and Mantha to build around up front for the next ten years if Burke had simply made the obvious pick at our slot. He didn't and now we have nothing even approaching first line/first pairing talent in the system (except maybe Merkley who appears to be the first pick of the post-Burke era).

I'll just point out that you don't know how those players would have developed in San Jose. Who thought William Karlsson and Shea Theodore would perform as they are in Vegas?

You do realize that I DELIBERATELY didn’t include Tampa and Anaheim’s too-10 picks, right? I deliberately did not include Stamkos, Hedman, Drouin, Lindholm (who was god-tier scouting), and Ritchie, because I knew that wouldn’t be fair.

No, I picked up on that. But I compared the drafted players post-top-10 to show how underwhelmed I was by the differences.

The Sharks have never drafted anything like Fowler, Kucherov, Point, Johnson, Rakell, Gibson, or W. Karlsson. The best player we’ve drafted in ten whole years is Tomas Hertl. I love Hertl with my whole entire heart and will be the first to admit that I can be a little biased when it comes to discussing him, but he isn’t on the level of Kucherov, Point, Rakell, or Karlsson. Only one of those guys was a first round pick and he was like 30th overall or something.

I don't think the differences are that massive save for Kucherov and perhaps Karlsson if he can maintain his play.

I do think that the "10 years thing" is a little unfair since we can't exaclty judge the results of many of those drafts since then. After all, I could draw the line at 2012 and all of a sudden Anaheim and Tampa Bay do not look so hot.

I don’t know why we keep arguing this, since we have multiple times before and obviously neither of us is changing our mind. The only thing I’m surprised about is that you didn’t whip out the Matt Carle Cautionary Tale. :laugh:

There are plenty of other tales, it is just that Carle was Shark and a player I myself was incredibly high on.

I do think that when a team is contending, the mentality does change. At that point, you have your star players. Would it be great to get new ones on a cheap ELC? Of course! But if you swing for the fences and miss, you get nothing. If you trade the pick, maybe you can get certified help NOW, with the window wide open. If you draft a safe tweener player, you get a cost-controlled player in your middle-six (and don't forget that salaries for depth players are stickier and result in higher cap percentages at lower ceilings). If you draft a boring player, you can maybe package it for a high-level complementary player who can help your team NOW.

Just look at the Sharks; from 2005-2015 the overwhelming focus was on maturity and NHL-readiness over potential. Hell, the one year they broke from the pattern was when they truly were a "tomorrow" team in 2014.

Sure, it’s nice to have cheap young depth on ELCs. But you don’t havent draft those players because you know what’s available every single year? Free cheap young depth players. Look at Anthony Duclair, for example. Yunno where the Sharks get a lot of their depth from? Euro and un-drafted free agents. Look at Karlsson, Donskoi, Goodrow, Carpenter, Heed, Sorensen, etc. The Sharks are very good at picking up these guys for free, so why spend picks on the same type of guys?

To be fair, the Sharks's ability to pick up these great un-drafted/un-signed FAs is a recent phenomenon.

I'd also say that there is a decent difference between a player like Nieto, a solid third-winger, and Goodrow or Carpenter, two fringe fourth-liners.

I would trade every single player we’ve drafted in the past decade other than Hertl and Meier (two early-mid first round picks) for one Kucherov.

OK.

Would you trade every single player the Sharks have drafted over the past decade, including Hertl and Meier, for all the players drafted by Tampa Bay outside of the top-10 in the past decade?

Moreover, because the Sharks and Burke had about 40% fewer picks to work with, what if I weighted the picks so that for every Tampa pick, there was a 40% chance you didn't get him?

Do this exercise for all the other teams and tell me Burke is still horrible.

They didn't. A late 1st, Setoguchi - who already had question marks and ultimately washed out of the league (likely due to those question marks), and a prospect- who has ultimately translated as a 2nd line F.

When you spin it as 3 1st round picks, it really overstates the actual impact to the Sharks.

At the time, Setoguchi's stock was definitely falling. He had had a strong 2009 season where he had 31 goals and 65 points at age 22. But since then, he had two underwhelming seasons and apparently had some off-ice issues that I'd guess people "in the know" knew about. Other than lineup and stylistic changes, IIRC, he was tasked with putting on more muscle after the 2009 season (after putting on 15 pounds the year before) and actually lost muscle.

Coyle's stock might have been moderately up after he made the jump to college, but he wasn't a bluechip prospect. I don't think anyone thought he would score 20 goals and get 50 points. He is an interesting case because he pretty much underwhelmed at every level until he made the NHL where he was at least a solid middle-six forward from day one.

The pick the Sharks traded was not only at 28, but they got Minny's 2nd-rounder next year (which I think they flipped to Tampa for Dominic Moore).

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
and you gotta admit those stats do a heavy bit of contextualizing, since it's really tied with 3 other guys (so 2nd is as good as 5th), and one of those guys is justin braun.
and the next guy was boedker.

We had a really weird team this year. Boedker was pretty good. Braun brought a decent amount of offense as well but at the end of the day, 5V5 scoring for defensemen has a lot to do with random variance and teammates/linemates. IIRC, in 2016-2017, Paul Martin was comfortably in the top-30 for 5V5 scoring amongst D. A forward has a much bigger effect on his own 5V5 scoring rate than a defenseman does.

thanks
odd though because according to this he had 17 goals 5v5: Timo Meier NHL Advanced Statistics (5-on-5) | Hockey-Reference.com

Whether or not he had 16 (Corsica, Natural Stat Trick) or 17 (Hockey-Ref), the semantics aren’t a very big deal. My point is that Meier had a strong offensive season at 5V5 on a team that really didn’t have much in the way of great offense at 5V5. Looking at all of the other players he tied with in 5V5 scoring or lost out to in the case of Pavelski, none of them faced the lineup battles (healthy scratch, lot of time in the bottom-6, inconsistent linemates, questionable deployment) that Meier did. Couture, Burns, Braun, and Pavelski all played with other top offensive players. None of those players found themselves doing anything Ike playing 120 minutes at 5V5 with Joel Ward. Meier did, overcame it, earned his spot, finished with 36 points, 30 of which were 5V5, and finished 2nd on our team in 5V5 points. Given all that, I find it hard to believe that next year he will max out at 20 goals and 40 points at most. I think he’s got a lot more in him.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Whether or not he had 16 (Corsica, Natural Stat Trick) or 17 (Hockey-Ref), the semantics aren’t a very big deal. My point is that Meier had a strong offensive season at 5V5 on a team that really didn’t have much in the way of great offense at 5V5. Looking at all of the other players he tied with in 5V5 scoring or lost out to in the case of Pavelski, none of them faced the lineup battles (healthy scratch, lot of time in the bottom-6, inconsistent linemates, questionable deployment) that Meier did. Couture, Burns, Braun, and Pavelski all played with other top offensive players. None of those players found themselves doing anything Ike playing 120 minutes at 5V5 with Joel Ward. Meier did, overcame it, earned his spot, finished with 36 points, 30 of which were 5V5, and finished 2nd on our team in 5V5 points. Given all that, I find it hard to believe that next year he will max out at 20 goals and 40 points at most. I think he’s got a lot more in him.

Not to belabor the point, because you are right that he is a strong player and should do better with better opportunity, but that one point makes a huge difference because he is tied with 3 others. One point moves him to 5th and not being able to call him 2nd really weakens the point.

what does stand out is just how much of a 5v5 monster kane is. we knew he was before we got him but he picked it right up when he got here and they were largely goals.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
No, I picked up on that. But I compared the drafted players post-top-10 to show how underwhelmed I was by the differences.

You’re not understanding. I deliberately excluded Tampa’s top-10 picks because you had gone and complained that Tampa had such better draft positions than we have had.

I don't think the differences are that massive save for Kucherov wand perhaps Karlsson if he can maintain his play.

I do think that the "10 years thing" is a little unfair since we can't exaclty judge the results of many of those drafts since then. After all, I could draw the line at 2012 and all of a sudden Anaheim and Tampa Bay do not look so hot.

“Except for a guy who scored 100 points this year and another who scored 43 goals, there isn’t much of a difference”. Do you realize how insane that sounds? That’s like saying, “well, if you exclude the Joe Thornton trade and the Brent Burns trade, Doug Wilson isn’t anything special in terms of trading ability”.

How on earth is ten years not fair? I’ll give you the guys who are under 20, the guys taken from 2016-2018. But that’s still seven years of draft data and let’s not act like we have no idea what the trajectory of the guys drafted in the remaining three years is going to be.

To be fair, the Sharks's ability to pick up these great un-drafted/un-signed FAs is a recent phenomenon.

I'd also say that there is a decent difference between a player like Nieto, a solid third-winger, and Goodrow or Carpenter, two fringe fourth-liners.

You can’t call Nieto a solid third liner and then call Carpenter a fringe fourth liner. Nieto scored 26 points in 74 games this year. Carpenter scored 19 in 64, and a lot of those games were when the Sharks were constantly benching him. At the end of the day, both were waived from the Sharks and went on to show that they were quality players elsewhere. I don’t see a difference.

OK.

Would you trade every single player the Sharks have drafted over the past decade, including Hertl and Meier, for all the players drafted by Tampa Bay outside of the top-10 in the past decade?

Moreover, because the Sharks and Burke had about 40% fewer picks to work with, what if I weighted the picks so that for every Tampa pick, there was a 40% chance you didn't get him?

Do this exercise for all the other teams and tell me Burke is still horrible.

So we’re excluding top-10 picks and Tampa still has 40% more picks? I somehow doubt that. Moreover, you can’t weight all picks the same. If you removed Tampa’s top-10 picks over the last decade, I would bet the number of first round picks they’ve had is comparable to how many we’ve had.

If we’re excluding Tampa’s top-10 picks, why aren’t we also excluding Meier?

At the end of the day, yes. I would trade Hertl and Meier for Kucherov, Coyle for Point, Ryan and DeMelo for Johnson and Namestnikov, Labanc for Vasilevsky, Tierney for Palat. Without question.

Kucherov-Thornton-Pavelski
Palat-Couture-Point
Kane-Johnson-Namestnikov

Vasilevsky in net.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Thanks for not making me type this out again.

A Decade. Oooooooo, sounds ominous. Of course later round picks usually don't make the NHL for 3 to 4 years and 2008 is perfect for your cutoff, since it excludes Demers and Wingels.

Picking after the 2nd round is a complete crap shoot. If it wasn't, those picks you're giving credit to other teams head of drafting would have picked those players in earlier rounds. Especially with today's analytics. And what have those teams done outside of Tampa. Personally, I've never given Burke credit for Pavelski.

Here's Tampa's results, since you just rattled off a bunch of names to make it seem impressive.

Tampa Vasilevsky 19th (Hertl 17th), Johnson undrafted (Donskoi), Palat (Meh), Kucherov (The one thing the Sharks haven't done lately), Point (Another score), Gudas ?, Paquette (Not sure why this guys on here), Dotchin (Never heard of him, I assume he's a very good Defensive D since you put him on the list), Gusev (Has never even been to NHL), Namestnikov (Not sure where this guy lands, seems to stumble, then traded and crapped out so far for the Rangers.)

So, let's give them Kucherov and Point, maybe Dotchin.

So, while not as impressive as you tried to make it seem, another team has ended up with some higher end draft picks than the Sharks. And they are the only team on your list to make any waves with those draft picks. It still doesn't prove that Burke sucks.

It does matter that the Sharks are #1 in games played. Especially with all the #1 draft picks we've traded away for players like Burns, Kane and Jones. Those possible draft picks can't contribute to the games played, which makes it even more impressive. Those players with games played have also helped us acquire some good talent.

Anyway, I'm glad all you Burke haters have someone else to complain about. I'm sure the complaining will hit even higher marks with every pick you don't like, since he's DW's son and all. :laugh:

Can't wait :sarcasm:

Solid breakdown. I personally have some issues with Burke and his "safe drafting" but I fully disagree with the other members who say "games played" doesn't matter. It absolutely does. It shows that we are generating the most NHLers from the draft which is the point of the draft. Considering we're averaging a pick in the mid 20's over most of this time I think it makes the stat even more impressive. Every round we're picking lower than most teams and still finding a way to constantly produce NHL talent. Many years we haven't had first/2nd round picks but once again we're still getting NHL talent. Games played also indicates that these players aren't just getting to the NHL for a few games, but they're actually sticking with the team. I get it, we all want superstars and fun risky super talented players but that's not reality from where we typically pick. Do I get annoyed with some of our picks? Yes, pretty frequently actually, but to say the Sharks have not been successful drafting is completely false and I guarantee most across the industry would agree that it's false.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Meier is a fine player. You can't settle for "fine players" at ninth overall especially when you're running a team like the Sharks that never ever picks there. The only point of the draft is to land high-end talent. There is no excuse for ever picking a player who you don't believe to have the highest potential upside of everyone still available. Meier is solid but it's not like you can't sign Patrick Maroon for $3mil/year a week into free agency to do everything Meier does. You will never land a Barzal-like player outside of the draft.

1) Says who? The point of the draft is to get talented players which hopefully will slot in to the NHL lineup. The goal is to get the best player available but these are 18 year old and their development is very unpredictable.

2) Never? That's 100% wrong, just ask Doug Wilson.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
1) Says who? The point of the draft is to get talented players which hopefully will slot in to the NHL lineup. The goal is to get the best player available but these are 18 year old and their development is very unpredictable.

2) Never? That's 100% wrong, just ask Doug Wilson.

You can fill out your NHL lineup for cheap via free agency, trades and even the waiver wire. Wasting one of your few precious draft picks on a player who doesn't have the highest likelihood among those still on the board of becoming a top six forward, top four defenseman or starting goaltender is asinine. The Sharks have done this over and over again under Tim Burke. Hence why he no longer has a job in scouting.

So Doug Wilson trading spare parts for Joe Thornton 13 years ago means he can pull off a similar trade again and therefore the Sharks don't need to bother drafting skill players? Cool, good to know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad