Confirmed with Link: Tim Burke promoted to Assistant GM DWJR to Dir. of Scouting

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
What a joke. Burke is awful and Doug giving son a job. I am sure his son isn’t the most qualified candidate.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I speculate that Merkley wouldn’t be a Shark had it not been for DWjr. From the video, I feel he is the driving force behind taking that chance.
Also, Burke may not want to travel so much anymore.
We won’t know until DWjr gets more drafts under his belt.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Maybe with Burke this is one of those middle managemen/kicked upstairs type situations. Get Burke into a place where he has input and a voice, but can be saved from himself because he no longer needs to be the final say in any particular area of team building.

Like promoting a terrible floor manager to middle management where they're glorified pencil pushers no longer able to do any real "damage"

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I thought Burke's words when picking Merkley were strange. No thank you to Dallas etc... Just straight to the pick. "The San Jose Sharks pick Ryan Merkley". I wonder if he already knew / didn't have the final say this year and was PO'd at the time :laugh:

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
I'm hoping this is a getting kicked upstairs "promotion" for Burke and he won't have any real influence on hockey decisions. It certainly sounds like that's the case but we'll never get confirmation on something like that.

Very pleased with this move. Frankly it's at least five years overdue. No single person has kneecapped this organization's ability to win a Stanley Cup more than Tim Burke. Setoguchi over Kopitar, Wishart over Giroux, Petrecki over literally anyone else, trading a second round pick to move up TWO SPOTS to pick Mirco f***ing Mueller, passing on Robby Fabbri and the cherry on top of the sundae - Timo Meier over a franchise center in Mathew Barzal. The Pavelski pick doesn't even excuse the embarrassment that is turning two first round picks in the greatest draft of all time into Milan Michalek and Steve Bernier, let alone the repeated disasters of the 15 years afterward.

Burke is a spectacular moron and the Sharks are infinitely better off for having someone like DWJR who seems to at least have a basic understanding of what factors predict NHL success in prospects. Hope he overhauls the scouting staff itself as well.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
He spoke confidently, but I am still not too convinced. What are the odds that the best candidate is DW's son?
Given our UFA failures, who's to say we can hire anyone better? I'm not convinced we have anything to offer management, scouts, or players at this point.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I thought Burke's words when picking Merkley were strange. No thank you to Dallas etc... Just straight to the pick. "The San Jose Sharks pick Ryan Merkley". I wonder if he already knew / didn't have the final say this year and was PO'd at the time :laugh:
I said the same thing. Even my wife was like wtf and she wasn't even paying attention to it

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

He did the same thing when he picked Hertl in 2012. Perhaps a sign of good things to come.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
As long as Burke has no power in his new role to sign FAs or make trades while DW is in his tanning bed we’re good. Hope DWJR proves to be a new direction

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
LZ,
Burke hasn’t done any differently that I can recall. He’s traditionally straight to the pick without all the banter. He’s there to pick a player not anything else.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
Regardless of whether DWJR is the best candidate he's sure as hell better than Burke. A spreadsheet of draft eligible players' junior stats would literally be a massive upgrade over Burke and I'm sure DWJR knows how to use Excel.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
LZ,
Burke hasn’t done any differently that I can recall. He’s traditionally straight to the pick without all the banter. He’s there to pick a player not anything else.

He's never been a Richard Simmons, but I've watched every draft since Kaspar and this year he caught my attention. All I know is I never said WTH was that before, but maybe that's just me and one2gamble and his wife :laugh:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
He's never been a Richard Simmons, but I've watched every draft since Kaspar and this year he caught my attention. All I know is I never said WTH was that before, but maybe that's just me and one2gamble and his wife :laugh:
You have made me go back and watch prior 1st round drafts, Burke's typically just a "san jose selects *guy* from *place*". However, this is the first year DW Jr. has been up at the podium with everybody so it's possible this changing of the guard has been in the works for a while.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
You have made me go back and watch prior 1st round drafts, Burke's typically just a "san jose selects *guy* from *place*". However, this is the first year DW Jr. has been up at the podium with everybody so it's possible this changing of the guard has been in the works for a while.

But did he say it the way he said it this time? :)

Sorry I made you go through that!

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I strongly feel this is a “promoted into a dead-end” type of deal for Burke. What does an AGM even do?

Regardless, this can only be an improvement.

Reactions: Shark Finn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad