Tiger Woods Appreciation Thread part II

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Anyway the big golf fan will watch all the time but Tiger is without a doubt needed for the average fan such as Ix.

I mean, it isn't rocket science. To deny that Tiger Woods brings money, ratings and interest is just silly.

Although he doesn't look like even a top 50 player at this point. Just have to hope it changes. I embrace being part of Tiger's generation. He is our Palmer or Nicklaus, and I don't think people appreciate that enough.

Nobody is denying his impact on the business side of things if that is the other poster's point. But he is not bigger than the game nor should a true golf fan hope that he or any other player is. Or at least someone who, IMO, is deserving of that mantle.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Nobody is denying his impact on the business side of things if that is the other poster's point. But he is not bigger than the game nor should a true golf fan hope that he or any other player is. Or at least someone who, IMO, is deserving of that mantle.

I don't understand this sentence as you clearly can't help but contradict yourself.

You're saying that it's okay for someone to be "bigger than the game" as long as they're "deserving of that mantle"? And what influences that opinion? A set of arbitrary prerequisites that you've come up with in your head?

Regardless, Tiger Woods is still golf's needle. I'm as big a fan of Rory and Spieth as anyone and happily watched him win his first Open last weekend. But if you noticed and/or heard about the low ratings - pretty disappointing that the majority of golf fans (note, not Tiger fanboys!11!!1) seem to be fair-weather viewers. If their favorite isn't in it, a lot of people tune out.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I don't understand this sentence as you clearly can't help but contradict yourself.

You're saying that it's okay for someone to be "bigger than the game" as long as they're "deserving of that mantle"? And what influences that opinion? A set of arbitrary prerequisites that you've come up with in your head?

Regardless, Tiger Woods is still golf's needle. I'm as big a fan of Rory and Spieth as anyone and happily watched him win his first Open last weekend. But if you noticed and/or heard about the low ratings - pretty disappointing that the majority of golf fans (note, not Tiger fanboys!11!!1) seem to be fair-weather viewers. If their favorite isn't in it, a lot of people tune out.

I guess I was saying I'd rather see someone rather than Tiger have an influence on the game.

Why would you care if the ratings are low and if a lot of fans are fair weather? It's a pretty good indicator that all of the new viewers that Tiger brought in aren't going to become anything more than casual. I prefer the TV coverage when he isn't playing/contending.

Sep 19, 2008
There is no one but Tiger that has influence on the game. Everyone else is relevant for a few tourneys but fades away. Even before the British Open Rory was struggling and people were wondering what happened to him since Congressional.

The beauty of Tiger is that he came and dominated for so long until 2008. He was the Detroit Red Wings, the Los Angeles Kings, the Chicago Blackhawks, the dynasty of the sport. Now there's a "salary cap" if you will, but that is not exactly good for the game.

I've discussed at length how his absence has opened up the door for new players. The problem is these players aren't consistent, and aren't elite. Many of them like Kaymer and Angel Cabrera and YE Yang and Trevor Immelman and Charl Schwartzel win one or two majors and disappear off the face of the earth.

I wouldn't complain if they were elite. Bubba is the closest one to being elite. There isn't really anybody new on the scene that has proven themselves, and I'm not going to crown Rory until I see him win more consistently.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
There is no one but Tiger that has influence on the game. Everyone else is relevant for a few tourneys but fades away. Even before the British Open Rory was struggling and people were wondering what happened to him since Congressional.

The beauty of Tiger is that he came and dominated for so long until 2008. He was the Detroit Red Wings, the Los Angeles Kings, the Chicago Blackhawks, the dynasty of the sport. Now there's a "salary cap" if you will, but that is not exactly good for the game.

I've discussed at length how his absence has opened up the door for new players. The problem is these players aren't consistent, and aren't elite. Many of them like Kaymer and Angel Cabrera and YE Yang and Trevor Immelman and Charl Schwartzel win one or two majors and disappear off the face of the earth.

I wouldn't complain if they were elite. Bubba is the closest one to being elite. There isn't really anybody new on the scene that has proven themselves, and I'm not going to crown Rory until I see him win more consistently.

You have an interesting view.

Aside from this, do you think he has it in him to beat Jack's record? I'm not sure he has the mental advantage that he had before. Prior to 2009, players were resigned to play for second place and maybe more important, Tiger had sense of invincibility that I don't believe he has anymore since his fall from grace.

Sep 19, 2008
Of course Tiger is vulnerable and I've said it many times, he's too old and broken down. The problem is no one is stepping up yet to take his place, and no one has had the form that he had. That's what made him so popular, he just came on the scene and dominated the sport.

Lefty never did that, in fact Lefty was known for choking majors before winning at the Masters.

You can bash Tiger all you want for his golf game, and that's fine, he's not for everyone, but realize he is an icon and he's been replaced by a string of fads since 2008, with an exception every now and then.

Golf to me is the only sport where parity is bad. You need a dynasty to follow. That's what made Jack worth watching. You love to see dominance. No one cares when some stranger from somewhere wins his first major, and disappears off the face of the earth afterwards. Someone like Trevor Immelman. He truly is terrible.

SensNo1

Sens#1
Oct 11, 2006
Toronto
Golf to me is the only sport where parity is bad. You need a dynasty to follow. That's what made Jack worth watching. You love to see dominance. No one cares when some stranger from somewhere wins his first major, and disappears off the face of the earth afterwards.
Personally, I disagree with all that, but I guess I'm in the minority if ratings follow Tiger. Thing is, I'm a VERY casual fan as well...But I don't want to see the same person win 90% of majors, just like I don't want to see old Habs style dominance in the NHL.

Sep 19, 2008
RT @TigerWoods Happy Veterans Day Pop, and to all the men, women and families that sacrifice so much. I’m forever grateful for your service.

Sep 19, 2008
RT @TigerWoods Stuart wasn't covering heroes & champions, it was the other way around. Thinking of my friend & his daughters.

The Joker*

Tiger looking great today. +10 through 13 to sit at +12 for the tournament, in 132nd place of the 132 entrants.

Sep 19, 2008
Surprised he's playing this bad. He made adjustments this offseason but he's made adjustments before

Firing swing coaches left and right

Still playing like ****

It makes me sad because with him in the end of his career no one will be able to step up and be "The NExt Tiger". And that's what golf desperately needs. Golf is a sport dependent on dynasties and legends. Without them, the game collapses.

The Joker*

Surprised he's playing this bad. He made adjustments this offseason but he's made adjustments before

Firing swing coaches left and right

Still playing like ****

It makes me sad because with him in the end of his career no one will be able to step up and be "The NExt Tiger". And that's what golf desperately needs. Golf is a sport dependent on dynasties and legends. Without them, the game collapses.
I agree with this man. Golf is at its best when someone is dominating, golf is even better when Tiger is dominating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad