News Article: Three Possible Replacements for Peter Laviolette

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
What, people around here hate Hitchcock now too? That 2004 team was one of my favorites.

Where do I say I hate Hitchcock? :help:

I didn't even say I hate Murray. I don't hate those two at all. I just don't like their defense first system cause I think it won't go well with the roster we have. The point I was making is a defense first system doesn't mean we will win it all either. Murray and Hitchcock didn't win the Cup here. They tried and it didn't work. Any system can win, but you need to gear a system that goes with the roster.

Right now the Flyers roster is totally out of whack. Half of the d-men are defensive stay at home types who can't really skate. No d-man outside of Kimmo can really move the puck. Lavi's system emphasizes skating and none of the d-men we have can really do that outside of Coburn and he handles the puck like he is holding a hot rod.

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
Both of those guys coached two of the best Flyers teams in last 20 years. It's hard to knock them for that.

That said I don't want Murray now. I would want a more balanced coach.

I am not knocking them for anything. I am wondering why people want a defense first system when the Flyers have already tried it and still didn't win a cup with it.

Giroux It

Mar 30, 2013
Elizabethtown, PA
Honestly I think the Flyers best bet is to get a high energy replacement, maybe not a proven NHL coach. I would be happy with an AHL coach, just somebody who is willing to adapt and do something different. Especially with a player like Roo, creativity goes A LONG way

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Honestly I think the Flyers best bet is to get a high energy replacement, maybe not a proven NHL coach. I would be happy with an AHL coach, just somebody who is willing to adapt and do something different. Especially with a player like Roo, creativity goes A LONG way

So pretty much Eakins from Toronto's farm club is what you're saying? I wouldn't mind that to be honest.

DumpyD

Jun 13, 2011
Where do I say I hate Hitchcock? :help:

Do you really want to argue semantics? You implied Murray and Hitchcocks stints as coach were disasters, which is flat out wrong.

You admit that the roster doesn't beckon one way or the other. Personally I'm not of the opinion that because you have one great offensive player and two speedy wingers that you're automatically better suited for a strictly offensive system. I'm simply not seeing a lot of names of coaches out there that are "in the middle."

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
Do you really want to argue semantics? You implied Murray and Hitchcocks stints as coach were disasters, which is flat out wrong.

You admit that the roster doesn't beckon one way or the other. Personally I'm not of the opinion that because you have one great offensive player and two speedy wingers that you're automatically better suited for a strictly offensive system. I'm simply not seeing a lot of names of coaches out there that are "in the middle."

I like how you say I said or implied things I never did. People like this annoy me like no other.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I'd say Eakins should be on the top of our list. Apparently he was mad that he didn't get the Toronto job and so I think this would be right up his alley. He's a more balanced sort of coach, and not run and gun, that could fit in well with this kind of team.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
I wouldn't fire Laviolette, personnally. This team is really young and inconsistent + they played in a very condensed schedule. I don't think the coach is the main issue. Lavy did a heck of a job adapting the Flyers system despite having 4 number 6 or less defenseman in his lineup. Obviously, this new system hurts a lot the offense, but he can't do anything else tbh. Still think he's a heck of a coach and he will be a perfect coach for this young offensive core. He's the coach who fits our players the most imo. Last year, he's also managed to have a great season despite having a bunch of rookies in his lineup. I'd let him the chance to get this team back on track next year before firing him. At least until christmas.

Giroux It

Mar 30, 2013
Elizabethtown, PA
I wouldn't fire Laviolette, personnally. This team is really young and inconsistent + they played in a very condensed schedule. I don't think the coach is the main issue. Lavy did a heck of a job adapting the Flyers system despite having 4 number 6 or less defenseman in his lineup. Obviously, this new system hurts a lot the offense, but he can't do anything else tbh. Still think he's a heck of a coach and he will be a perfect coach for this young offensive core. He's the coach who fits our players the most imo. Last year, he's also managed to have a great season despite having a bunch of rookies in his lineup. I'd let him the chance to get this team back on track next year before firing him. At least until christmas.

You can always point to injuries, but the job of a coach is to get the BEST out of his players that he does have on the ice. Clearly that hasn't been the case this season. I don't know if just players not caring, or him not being effective anymore. I do think a lot of his failure this season is due to him not adapting to the personnel that he has. Why in your right mind wouldn't you want the puck on the stick of somebody like G as much as possible? He should be carrying it into the zone constantly, especially on the PP. Instead we drive it deep, lose battles along the boards, and can't play the cycle game. This is on the COACH, he needs to make the changes

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009

Yeah, but he cant beat NJ, NYR, or Boston even with a healthy roster. Not to mention TB of all teams. I think that list will continue to grow too.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville

He is possibly the greatest motivator this team has ever had, however this young and inexperienced team needs a teacher. The teacher who will pay attention to details, teach responsibilities and dynamics. This team needs a guy, that will learn strengths and weaknesses of his players and play them and the team's system accordingly.
I know, one should not judge from very limitted representation, therefore I will be using the following anecdote for illustration purposes only. There was a huge difference in game preparation/ teaching between Torts and Lavi shown on 24/7.

I liked how Torts explained small details (long side changes, positioning on ice, discussion with Callahan). And may be that's the reason we can't beat Rags.

Just my $0.02

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
i am not in the fire Lavy camp but if he must go then i wouldn't mind Eakins and have Murray a part of his staff.

Stonehands77

Jul 8, 2002
Waltham, MA
Ugh, we've had Terry Murray, and after his "choking" nonsense back in the 97 Stanley Cup Finals I'd rather not have a repeat. If they think of getting that whiny dbag Lindy Ruff, I'll go berserk.

The only good thing about Tortorella is that he'd be merciless with Timmy P and the rest of the idiots in the Philly sports media, which they all deserve. I don't think he's quite the right coach for this team though.

I'm still a Lavi fan. I'd be curious to see what he can do with a team that doesn't have a disaster for defense, or isn't ravaged by injuries.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Honestly, I think Eakins is still what we really need. Fresh to the NHL, really wants an NHL job, and does very well at developing younger players and knows how to use older players. I think he could probably bring the best out of Schenn and Couturier.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inqflyersreport/Looks-like-Lavy-staying-as-Flyers-coach.html

Looks like Lavy staying as Flyers' coach
POSTED: Monday, April 15, 2013, 11:07 AM
Sam Carchidi, Inquirer Staff Writer

MONTREAL _ Forget the rumors about Peter Laviolette being fired after the season.

It sounds as if the Flyers’ fiery coach is staying.

Without formally announcing it, general manager Paul Holmgren gave Laviolette a strong vote of confidence in Montreal on Monday.

Asked if he planned to make a coaching change, Holmgren’s reply was succinct.

“I haven’t even thought along those lines,” he told The Inquirer. “I think it’s been a difficult year because of the (injury) situation. We haven’t had our whole team all year.

“I don’t blame the coaches.”

The Flyers are 17-21-3 and will miss the playoffs for just the second time in the last 18 seasons.

“Am I happy with the players and our season? No. Am I happy we’re not in the playoffs? No. But I think the coaches have done a good job under the circumstances,” Holmgren said.

A month ago, Holmgren said he would evaluate Laviolette after the season. In recent days, there have been rumors that the Flyers’ slide out of playoff contention would cause Laviolette to lose his job.

Call those rumors false.

After replacing John Stevens early in the 2009-10 season, Laviolette directed the Flyers to a 28-24-5 record, and that team made an improbable run to the Stanley Cup Finals. The Flyers went 47-23-12 (winning the Atlantic) and 47-26-9 the next two seasons before falling flat in this lockout-shortened season.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Dallas Eakins - We don't want our NHL coach that can develop talent. We want an AHL coach who can sorta do it. (Those Leafs... woof.)

John Tortorella - A tandem of Bryzgalov and Mason just might kill him. Sign me up.

Guy Boucher - Laviolette embarrassed him on national television. Clearly, he's the one that'll take this team to the next level.

Pat Quinn, Ted Nolan, Lindy Ruff - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ranger fan coming in peace. That made me laugh REALLY hard! :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad