News Article: Three Possible Replacements for Peter Laviolette

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull now
BREAKING: Looks like Laviolette staying as #Flyers' coach.

:(

It's hilarious now that Carchidi believes everything management says when he's been doing the opposite. He also went on record saying sleep-gate was overblown. Sounds like CarchIDIOT is trying to get back in good graces with the team.

Anyway..if he is proven correct with Lavi staying....it will be a poor move by Holmgren. He'll be scrambling again in Dec and then there won't be any good candidates as a replacement. He's pulling a Suter and Parise stunt....

Hope we keep our lottery pick for 2014 (In Philly) gonna need it......sounds like Holmgren is doubling down with poor decisions this offseason although hopefully not considering we look to have a good draft pick coming our way this year and need to make it count.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inqflyersreport/Looks-like-Lavy-staying-as-Flyers-coach.html

I think Carchidi just pulled a Seravalli. He took a few general comments about the season and turned it into a statement of fact by Holmgren that Lavy will be back. Holmgren said he hadn't thought about it. Doesn't mean he won't think about when the season ends. He also didn't say Laviolette will be back next year. That is the only statement for which that tweet should have been sent.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
Isn't this the clown who helped run Mike Richards out of town? If so, I wouldn't believe a word he says. Even so, given managements' recent track record, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Holmgren kept Laviolette on for next season. After all, I've heard it said he "traded" Richards for Laviolette (and probably Pronger) so he'll likely not admit any mistakes from this side of the coin too soon. I mean that trade's worked well so far, hasn't it?

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inqflyersreport/Looks-like-Lavy-staying-as-Flyers-coach.html

I think Carchidi just pulled a Seravalli. He took a few general comments about the season and turned it into a statement of fact by Holmgren that Lavy will be back. Holmgren said he hadn't thought about it. Doesn't mean he won't think about when the season ends. He also didn't say Laviolette will be back next year. That is the only statement for which that tweet should have been sent.

Fwiw, Meltzer tweeting the same thing:

https://twitter.com/billmeltzer

Laviolette likely not being fired at end of this season could very well mean he IS fired early next season if team gets off to slow start

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Fwiw, Meltzer tweeting the same thing:

https://twitter.com/billmeltzer

Laviolette likely not being fired at end of this season could very well mean he IS fired early next season if team gets off to slow start

And they probably will again ..like I said come Dec Holmgren will be scramblin for a replacement and the good candidates will already be picked off and I bet one of them wins coach of the year!

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
And they probably will again ..like I said come Dec Holmgren will be scramblin for a replacement and the good candidates will already be picked off and I bet one of them wins coach of the year!

Yeah, if they have their doubts about him at this point I would rather they let him go after the season and bring in someone who can offer some input over the off-season regarding trades and free agents. And then run his own TC and set up his own lines/system/etc...

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
its not Holmgren's call. Holmgren didn't want to fire John Stevens either and look how that ended. If Snider is pissed off enough Holmgren's job could be in jeopardy as well.

You mean in the beginning of the season? Because, by Dec he was ready to pick up Stevens by the scruff of his neck and jettison him out the door. I remember how resolute he was but of course almost too late. He lucked out with Lavi and even Lavi didn't pan out except for when G and Boosh salvaged the team from not being in the playoffs.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Or even worse, they just plan on bringing Murray up instead of searching

I have a bad feeling about this crackpot idea of keeping Lavi to see if he falters....to me he's done enough faltering since 2010 including two playoff performances where he was totally outcoached (Boston and NJ) and this year where the team looks lost and undiscplined regardless of the injuries which is a factor but overblown. Yeah the GM didn't help him this year either but Lavi has shown some real stubborness with his adjustment which includes arbitrary benchings and weird line combos.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
You mean in the beginning of the season? Because, by Dec he was ready to pick up Stevens by the scruff of his neck and jettison him out the door. I remember how resolute he was but of course almost too late. He lucked out with Lavi and even Lavi didn't pan out except for when G and Boosh salvaged the team from not being in the playoffs.

no it was even during the season. Stevens was his best buddy. He said at the time it was a hard decision.

Haute Couturier

Feb 28, 2007
Philadelphia
Why the hell would we keep Lavy at this point? :shakehead

I am indifferent to whether he stays or goes, but firing him isn't going to solve the need for a mobile puckmoving defenseman, a good goalie, and a sniper. The problem is with the roster and not the coach. The system that took them to Game 6 of the Finals didn't suddenly stopped working. They've gone backwards the last two offseasons.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Why the hell would we keep Lavy at this point? :shakehead

Snieder was saying that they had planned to develope a more system based play and recognized the lack of one is why we struggled against teams like the devils and rags. Said that we never had the opportunity to put it into place because of the lack of preseason. I think they have tried over the course of this year and that's why everything's looked so poor and out of sync. If lavy has a system I'd love to see it. Just want a system don't care if its Santa Claus playing it

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
The system that took them to Game 6 of the Finals didn't suddenly stopped working. They've gone backwards the last two offseasons.

Same thing happened to Laviolette's previous team except replace Game 6 with Stanley Cup and backwards with out of the playoffs for multiple years until he was fired.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00