News Article: Three Possible Replacements for Peter Laviolette

skoods

May 10, 2010
Boston, MA
One bad season = fire everybody according to this board

In three seasons, Laviolette has won 5 playoff series and you act like he's the reason this team is out of the playoffs. How about the fact that they came into the season with a defensive corps lead by Braydon Coburn? Or the fact that Holmgren shipped two of the best defensive forwards on the team and relied on Giroux and Briere to establish a two-way game?

Makes me sick how much some Philadelphia fans abandon their teams at the drop of a hat. No wonder the Sixers have no fan base. If the Flyers were as bad as the Oilers have been for two decades, we would have equal attendance to the Coyotes.

Be careful what you wish for. ASIAK there are not very many good replacements for Laviolette out there.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

In three seasons, Laviolette has won 5 playoff series and you act like he's the reason this team is out of the playoffs. How about the fact that they came into the season with a defensive corps lead by Braydon Coburn? Or the fact that Holmgren shipped two of the best defensive forwards on the team and relied on Giroux and Briere to establish a two-way game?

Makes me sick how much some Philadelphia fans abandon their teams at the drop of a hat. No wonder the Sixers have no fan base. If the Flyers were as bad as the Oilers have been for two decades, we would have equal attendance to the Coyotes.

Be careful what you wish for. ASIAK there are not very many good replacements for Laviolette out there.

You are aware of the saying "coaches are hired to be fired" right?

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

Laviolette has beaten the Rangers once in over two full caender years, and that was off of a back to back for the Rangers when the flyers had off. Thats with two different lineups over 3 seasons and the games have been played almost exactly every time. Thats enough for me to want him fired. He has won 1 time in the last 7 against the devils. Next year divisions games will be even more important.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Laviolette has beaten the Rangers once in over two full caender years, and that was off of a back to back for the Rangers when the flyers had off. Thats with two different lineups over 3 seasons and the games have been played almost exactly every time. Thats enough for me to want him fired. He has won 1 time in the last 7 against the devils. Next year divisions games will be even more important.

Don't worry..nothing some marginal right handed D men (Foster and Gervais) and insisting on dump and chase against teams that check tight like NYR, Devils, Boston etc won't resolve...:shakehead

He's just going to have to insist the Flyers attack harder....

Flyers2point0

Nov 21, 2012
Chicago, IL
Honestly, I think Eakins is still what we really need. Fresh to the NHL, really wants an NHL job, and does very well at developing younger players and knows how to use older players. I think he could probably bring the best out of Schenn and Couturier.

I agree. I always liked Lavi but it might just be time for a change. If he does get fired Eakins is our best bet.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Snieder was saying that they had planned to develope a more system based play and recognized the lack of one is why we struggled against teams like the devils and rags. Said that we never had the opportunity to put it into place because of the lack of preseason. I think they have tried over the course of this year and that's why everything's looked so poor and out of sync. If lavy has a system I'd love to see it. Just want a system don't care if its Santa Claus playing it

Yeah and I thought Snider's excuses were crap.....

Funny thing is that Lavi before the season started said that the lack of a preseason and camp would benefit the Flyers b/c there were still alot of players that understood his system. Continuity would benefit the Flyers....um yeah. Granted injuries hasn't helped with continuity but again this team is ill assembled and he hasn't adjusted all season. I don't see much that was redeeming on his part although he is not all to blame but again like Bryz he's been part of the problem and I really don't see that changing next year to be quite honest. If they are healthy and address a lot of their holes they won't be as bad as this year but I still think they will under achieve with him...but hope I'm wrong.

Again he is a good coach and his system is not completely outdated but it is definitely more predictable and it definitely calls for a lot of buy in b/c of the intense work it requires to sustain over a long season...

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Pat Quinn just was hired as the chairman of the HHoF a couple of weeks ago. When was this article written?

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
Thoroughly depressing season. Game two of this season in Buffalo pretty much was a solid indicator of how this year would go.

The season has only been made further brutal through injuries, a more average offense and really poor goaltending for the majority of the year.

None of these are Pete's fault, however the fact he has yet to figure out how to beat the Devils is really puzzling.

SgtJoseph*

Absolutely agree with you ! Our club gets PLENTY of GOOD scoring chances most games with Lavys system, but they just cannot seem to finish on many great chances all season long......A totally decimated Dfence, concussions, etc etc ec...Its been just a tough short season........Re group and come out healthy and fresh next year.Lavy is a fine hockey coach in my view, if he gets canned i wish him the best, and i certainly wish the best for his replacement as well.......

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Hey guys, Wild fan popping in. Just wondering what do you guys think are the chances of Laviolette actually getting fired?

I can see a lot of you are torn on whether or not he should go or not, but reading through the newest links/information is from last week and I did a google search and only got quotes from Holmgren saying he likely won't, but it seems the same was said about Stevens a few years back.

I ask because Wild fans are clamoring for Yeo's head, and some of us are looking into other possible coaches. Peter's name has popped up a few times, and I thought I'd ask the experts(you guys), what y'all think before us Wild fans get too carried away.

Thanks everyone!

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Hey guys, Wild fan popping in. Just wondering what do you guys think are the chances of Laviolette actually getting fired?

I can see a lot of you are torn on whether or not he should go or not, but reading through the newest links/information is from last week and I did a google search and only got quotes from Holmgren saying he likely won't, but it seems the same was said about Stevens a few years back.

I ask because Wild fans are clamoring for Yeo's head, and some of us are looking into other possible coaches. Peter's name has popped up a few times, and I thought I'd ask the experts(you guys), what y'all think before us Wild fans get too carried away.

Thanks everyone!

I think he's back next season, but fired about 20 games in if the team starts slow.

Too many variables in the shortened season. I'd be a bit surprised if he's let go, but it is certainly possible.

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
This is a bad move. I think Eakins would be an amazing coach for you guys but he can not quit coaching the Marlies for another team during the season. Leafs pay him a ton for that contract restriction.

Hope you guys get a great pick and bounce back next year.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think management is smart enough to fire Lavy and replace him with Eakins this offseason, but I hope I'm wrong.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Someone asked before, but what is so special about Eakins? I know he's a talented young AHL coach, but what's he known for there?

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
My thoughts on firing Lavy are some what up in the air. One minute I think its a good idea, because despite all the injuries etc, the team just never seemed to have jump, and did not desperate when they needed to, or at all for that matter, right from game one, through to now.

On the other hand, I know he is a great coach, so its hard to let him walk.

Then I think, if they havent fired him already, in a bid to get a new coach into the room before the season is out, to begin working with players, teach his system etc, then they wont fire Lavy. Unless they bring in a guy like Eakins, who is contractually obligated to remain with his current club until its season is complete.

I wont be surprised if he is fired, or if he is retained. All I can say is if he is fired, and a guy that was available a month ago is hired in his place, then management still dropped the ball in not doing it sooner.

EasyMac

Jul 8, 2004
Someone asked before, but what is so special about Eakins? I know he's a talented young AHL coach, but what's he known for there?

His biggest asset seems to be developing young players and getting them to reach their potential. The other big thing I have read about him is that he has a very "team-first" attitude, in that you have to earn your ice-time on his team through your play and through your effort, and he holds players accountable for their poor play.

His style is more on the defensive side, which could be a concern about stifling some of the offensive talent this club has. However given the Flyers pathetic 5on5 play, as long as the PP doesn't go in the gutter I don't know if it will make a difference. He also never had much offensive talent on the Marlies, outside of Kadri who was always near a PPG player down there.

Basically, it seems like Eakins is the top of the class as far as new coaches go, and works well with developing young players. I personally would like to see him brought in as I think he could do wonders with the young squad we have while hopefully keeping the veterans accountable (perhaps he wouldn't be trotting Briere out there on the second line all season long while burying Couterier, or perhaps hod Hartnell accountable for magically dropping about 50 IQ points near the end of games when the team is losing). There also doesn't seem to be much available in the way of retread coaches either.

As a side note, I noticed Tim Connolly has 12 points in 28 games on the Marlies. Ouch.

I am torn on Lavy. He definitely is a good coach and was a great hire at the time. However this team is not the team it was when he was hired. To me Lavy seems to be more of a "closer" type of coach, when you have a solid veteran team, plus a team with strong two-way defense (although how he won that cup with the 'Canes defense I will never understand, though perhaps Ward is the answer to that). I think the perfect team for Lavy would be the Bruins, with their good defense and strong two-way forwards he would make that team unstoppable. However for the current state of the Flyers I don't think he is right. That and his inability to adjust against some teams has become brutal.

Last edited:

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011

From a Leaf fan. He's great at developing talent. He's a players coach all the players who have played for him say nothing but good things. In the AHL he has kept the Marlies at the top of the standings for 2 years with no elite talent and half the roster playing with the big club this year.

This guy gets 100% from his players. He's pretty much the best coach not in the NHL by a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad