News Article: Three Possible Replacements for Peter Laviolette

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
yes to nolan or eakins. when i went to the nhl draft in vancouver some of the cool events that weekend were us drafting giroux. another cool one was being a few feet from ovie. and i likes ovie lots, one of my favorite nhl players. took some photos and stayed in my seat. the nhl is for young fans, they need to meet and great the players, not us old guys. then another cool thing happened, after the draft was wrapped up friday night. i was walking on robson street, with my flyers jersey. turned my head, hey theres ted nolan. so i walked over to him, shook his hand, talked to him for a bit. he then looks at my flyers jersey and in puzzlement, he says why would a guy in a flyers jersey want to meet me. so my reply, as a flyers fan, we love the nhl, and their are guys on other teams we like, cheer for and respect. and you mr. nolan are one of them.

Well, what did he say in response?

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Bruce Garrioch reports if Peter Laviolette gets fired, #ADKPhantoms Head Coach Terry Murray will be a top candidate to replace him.

-Flyers Nation

I'll be pissed..... typical Flyers organization though. Always keeping it within the family.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
-Flyers Nation

I'll be pissed..... typical Flyers organization though. Always keeping it within the family.

BRB jumping off of a bridge

Unless that means just until a replacement is found

Also, it's Garrioch. He's not too good with anything if it's not Sens related

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I'll throw another name out...Dave Tippett.

His contract is up this season. There have been articles in Phoenix suggesting ALL their UFA's (including the coach and GM) are leery of signing a deal not knowing where the team will play next season.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
hopefully Terry Murray doesn't choke before he gets a NHL job. Preferably not in Philly.
Dave Tippet? I would almost want John Stevens back as head coach before that guy. almost.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Unless we're serious about getting a high pick next year again. I don't get this Terry Murray business.

I rather have Nolan or the guy from Toronto's farm club.

DumpyD

Jun 13, 2011
that is true, however he sucks the life out of offensive minded players. he is the exact opposite of Lavy. Do we have the personel in place for a defensive minded system anyway

Do we have the personnel in place for Lavy's system? How many people knew Radim Vrbata would be such an offensive threat? Both he and Whitney put up good numbers under Tippett.

Considereing we as a fanbase have done nothing but complain about the lack of team defense for the past two years, I wouldn't be against a defensive minded coach as long as it's not Murray.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Going full defense is a knee jerk reaction and doesnt really suit the players on this team. Find someone in the middle, like Washington did.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Do we have the personnel in place for Lavy's system? How many people knew Radim Vrbata would be such an offensive threat? Both he and Whitney put up good numbers under Tippett.

Considereing we as a fanbase have done nothing but complain about the lack of team defense for the past two years, I wouldn't be against a defensive minded coach as long as it's not Murray.

probably not. but that is why this season a good portion of the blame can be placed on Holmgren. his "balls of steel" attitude as some like some like to use around here caused him to miss out on some guys who could of helped out. Once Holmgren struck out on Parise,Suter and Weber the options were pretty thin. Then Jagr and Carle left as well.
We do ***** about the defense and rightly so but going to a completely defensive system is the wrong way to go. As Beef said find a guy "in the middle"

Giroux It

Mar 30, 2013
Elizabethtown, PA
I really don't think the problem is Lavi's coaching as much as it is his refusal to adapt and change his system. This isn't a dump and chase league anymore, and we clearly aren't built for it. To be frank I think any coach who comes here will probably have success just by eliminating the dump and chase routine, and stop with the constant line juggling to try and get something going instead of letting guys develope chemistry.

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
What is up with people saying to go to a defense first system coach? Do people not remember Murray in his first stint here and Hitchcock? How did that work out? I rather the Flyers keep Lavi then bring in a guy like Murray.

I am all for getting a new coach, but it should be a moderate coach who gets players to play both offense and defense, not be heavily toward one zone. I would love a puck possession coach like Babcock.

Giroux It

Mar 30, 2013
Elizabethtown, PA
What is up with people saying to go to a defense first system coach? Do people not remember Murray in his first stint here and Hitchcock? How did that work out? I rather the Flyers keep Lavi then bring in a guy like Murray.

I am all for getting a new coach, but it should be a moderate coach who gets players to play both offense and defense, not be heavily toward one zone. I would love a puck possession coach like Babcock.

The problem is the coach really has to kinda fit the players we have, ie an Offensive Oriented Coach IMO. I think flipping the switch and doing a 180 could really be catastrophic to the whole team, I mean I could see them considering blowing it up yet again

DumpyD

Jun 13, 2011

What, people around here hate Hitchcock now too? That 2004 team was one of my favorites.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Both of those guys coached two of the best Flyers teams in last 20 years. It's hard to knock them for that.

That said I don't want Murray now. I would want a more balanced coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad