News Article: Three Possible Replacements for Peter Laviolette

Flyers Weekly

Sep 12, 2012
With the 2013 Philadelphia Flyers season coming to a close, one has to think that Peter Laviolette is currently sitting on the hot seat and may not be back with the Flyers as the head coach next season. There are a few coaches out there that could be looking for jobs this summer that could fit this team nicely and push them over the edge. First, let’s revisit Peter Laviolette’s tenure with the Flyers.

http://flyersweekly.com/?p=357

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
What is Wayne Cashman doing these days :sarcasm:

But seriously, it will be a good offseason to choose a competent replacement should the Flyers and Lavi part ways which I feel they should. If the Flyers do decide to part ways they better know who they want and why and then draft and acquire players accordingly to facilitate the new coach's system. If the Flyers stick with Lavi....it will not be a good idea. They need to let him go at the end of the season and get the new guy in before the draft....obviously not much time.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I hate Torts and the Boucher experiment failed at the NHL level. Torts could kill the development of younger players IMO. He is a nut job.

clap bomb 16

Jul 9, 2011
I wouldn't mind any of those guys except Boucher and Ruff. I don't see Pat Quinn coming back to coaching either.

Eakins and Tortorella would be good fits. I can't see Tortorella getting fired now though with New York's turnaround.

New York has had a turnaround?
Pre season cup favorite sitting in 8th place and fighting to stay there.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Since the trade deadline they have played well. Different team from the one at the start of the season. They added some depth back with the Gaborik trade and added some size/toughness and secondary scoring with Clowe. They'll make the playoffs.

Clown Baby*

Dallas Eakins - We don't want our NHL coach that can develop talent. We want an AHL coach who can sorta do it. (Those Leafs... woof.)

John Tortorella - A tandem of Bryzgalov and Mason just might kill him. Sign me up.

Guy Boucher - Laviolette embarrassed him on national television. Clearly, he's the one that'll take this team to the next level.

Pat Quinn, Ted Nolan, Lindy Ruff - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

CTU2fan

Jul 12, 2009
Dallas Eakins - We don't want our NHL coach that can develop talent. We want an AHL coach who can sorta do it. (Those Leafs... woof.)

John Tortorella - A tandem of Bryzgalov and Mason just might kill him. Sign me up.

Guy Boucher - Laviolette embarrassed him on national television. Clearly, he's the one that'll take this team to the next level.

Pat Quinn, Ted Nolan, Lindy Ruff - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You know who I'd take over all those guys? Peter Laviolette. Fix the D so they can play his up-tempo style, get a PMD to push the offense.

Also isn't Ted Nolan still blacklisted? I did like him as a coach but that ship sailed a long time ago.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I like tortorella, but I feel like he's another coach with a shelf life because of his style of coaching.

Any chance Chicago fires Joel Quennville? :sarcasm:

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Im afraid they will go in house and choose Terry Murray, which would be a HUGE mistake. He has done an average at best job with the Phantoms.

I would choose either Eakins or Nolan also. I am also slightly afraid of those "young player development" coaches because while they make for great young player coaches they seem to struggle with system adjustment at the next level. Nolan would be my choice but it is weird he hasnt been a coach for awhile.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Im afraid they will go in house and choose Terry Murray, which would be a HUGE mistake. He has done an average at best job with the Phantoms.

I would choose either Eakins or Nolan also. I am also slightly afraid of those "young player development" coaches because while they make for great young player coaches they seem to struggle with system adjustment at the next level. Nolan would be my choice but it is weird he hasnt been a coach for awhile.

Yea that's my only hangup with him what's up with that? I've heard substance abuse problems but that doesn't seem right

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Remember, the AHL does have older players, so it's not like Eakins wouldn't be able to do well with them. I think Eakins might do wonders for someone like Luke Schenn and Couturier. If Laughton joins, I could see him doing well under Eakins as well. I understand he has a very good knack for developing younger player, but guess what? Younger players still need to develop some in the NHL.

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
No way to Torts and Guy Boucher. I don't want either of them as the next coach of the Flyers if Lavy gets replaced.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
no to torts and boucher

yes to nolan or eakins. when i went to the nhl draft in vancouver some of the cool events that weekend were us drafting giroux. another cool one was being a few feet from ovie. and i likes ovie lots, one of my favorite nhl players. took some photos and stayed in my seat. the nhl is for young fans, they need to meet and great the players, not us old guys. then another cool thing happened, after the draft was wrapped up friday night. i was walking on robson street, with my flyers jersey. turned my head, hey theres ted nolan. so i walked over to him, shook his hand, talked to him for a bit. he then looks at my flyers jersey and in puzzlement, he says why would a guy in a flyers jersey want to meet me. so my reply, as a flyers fan, we love the nhl, and their are guys on other teams we like, cheer for and respect. and you mr. nolan are one of them.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Sather traded a lot of hard working forwards that were great in their system. He hamstrung his coach,similar to Homer and lavi

Edit...that being said i don't think torts is a good match for the team

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
The Flyers will go the in house route, or pick an old Flyers player, they can't seem to think outside the box

GingerFetish

Feb 26, 2013
Ron Hextall as goalie coach.

I don't even care if he's a GM type of guy and never coached. I want it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad