Who Are The Worst Playoff Performers Of All Time?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Several Montreal fans have been loitering around the Avs vs Jets thread(s). Initially there was some finger wagging about Allen vs Georgiev. But you know the real reason for the loitering was to peacock about Monahan. Habs fans are still looking in and reading this. It’s their culture to do this.
Watch out bud. There’s a Habs fan under your bed!
😂

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
So he choked away both the Stanley Cup and the Conn Smythe. Doesn't make the argument for not being a choker any stronger, sorry.
If you are the best player for your team, by far, for every game except one you’re not a choker lol

And why are game 7 stats the only significant stat? What if Boston clinches in game 6 and he steals the game. Maybe series clinching and elimination stats are more meaningful.
Yeah if you include those, his stats look great. Only looking at the games lost is hilarious cherry picking because there’s so many games that were only wins because of him

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Stamkos in this generation, versus expectation and skill level. Thornton and the Sedins, and Marleau did little for me in the previous generation (if one separates these). Bobrovsky was awful outside of that 2019 series, but there's potential that he's turning that around late in his career on a team that can play D (this year and last, of course).

Marcel Dionne, on his one line team, became a little easier to deal with in the postseason.

Andy Bathgate in the O6 era, same could be said there.

Alexei Yashin seemed to leave a lot on the table, not that his teams were stacked. Selanne is kind of weird case in this regard. His stats probably are too strong of a case against his contribution,.but he still seemed to leave something on the bone...it also felt like he was always against a buzz saw or he was hurt...

No one should have expected anything from them, but Lalime and Cloutier flat out gave away series whenever they could it seemed like...
this is a myth about Stamkos long proven wrong. The guy is a warrior out there.

Reactions: Olliemets

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
this is a myth about Stamkos long proven wrong. The guy is a warrior out there.
Having seen every single playoff game Stamkos has played in his career, if anyone has "proven" this qualification wrong somehow, their evaluation process is probably pretty flimsy.

But, if that's the kind of career performance you like, go nuts...he's having a good series right now. Hope he goes on a run, as Kucherov has fought it, uncharacteristically in this one. They could really use him to step up for a change.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
mcdavid and thats why he wont pass crosby all time
Wow you had to dig deep for that troll comment.

I’d say he’s doing pretty good

Now if the rest of the org can match that, he will win a Cup soon.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Having seen every single playoff game Stamkos has played in his career, if anyone has "proven" this qualification wrong somehow, their evaluation process is probably pretty flimsy.

But, if that's the kind of career performance you like, go nuts...he's having a good series right now. Hope he goes on a run, as Kucherov has fought it, uncharacteristically in this one. They could really use him to step up for a change.
I've seen everyone too, he struggled with major injuries a broken leg and blood clots.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
it's clearly not meant to be taken srs or as bait lmao obviously no one thinks mcdavid is the worst playoff performer of all time. It's actually kind of wild how many took me srs instead of obviously making a joke to cope that mcdavid is gonna be ahead of crosby all time.

I guess i gotta blame the actual insane crosby fans that make ppl believe that post lol
Nice back pedal. Lance Armstrong is in the chat.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Man, I keep sayin this- he doesn’t play winning hockey, not in the playoffs at least. He’s like Adam Dunn, or one of those other home run hitters who was deficient at everything else.

I have this whole Charlie Kelly Pepe Silvia conspiracy with Thornton, but it basically boils down to-

1) Injuries. Dude played through a torn ACL and MCL, so we know he was tough and willing to play through injury. He was a big body playing a ton of games, refusing to sit out, and I wonder if that wore him down by the time playoffs rolled around. Nobody loved the game more, so I just can’t imagine it was an effort/prep thing.
2) Strategy. I don’t think Thornton was any worse in the playoffs, but the spacing he feasted on just tightens up a bit in the playoffs. I’d say the team failed to adjust more than anything, Jumbo still made passes when they were there, dudes just flubbed shots and failed to establish position.
3) Marleau. I blame Marleau. Now there was a playoff stinker, and he just sunk Joe with him. Joe would never say that, too nice a guy, as is Pat, but that gentleman lacked any playoff snarl whatsoever.

In summary, Joe did nothing wrong, it was the cowardly Patrick Marleau all along.

Also, Nash is a weird one, because it just felt like he’d be good. Idk how to explain it better, but a lot of these guys I can create a narrative for, even if it’s my own biased BS. Nash I can’t, big scorer, shoulda been better.

You should look up patrick marleaus all time playoff stats. Let us know where he ranks in goals scored all time.

chirrrs

Jun 3, 2013
Rockwall, TX
Tyler Seguin as a Dallas Star. Just 40 pts in 74 games, and a -3

For a 0.87 pt/g player, he’s barely over 0.5 in the playoffs

Tyler Seguin - Bruins staff took a lot of criticism for moving on from Seguin but it looks like they were right about some of his inability to pay a price and make adjustments to his game. He's been largely a disappointment.

Seguin gets a bad rap for his playoff performances that I really don't feel is deserved. Honestly, he's just had really bad luck with injuries, especially going into and during the playoffs. Torn MCL, sliced achilles, foot injuries, torn labrum, hand injuries, and a lot of that he played through anyway. Now he's 32 and the cumulative effect of those injuries and surgeries has really slowed him down and he's just not the player he once was or could have been. Unfortunately Stars fans never really got to see healthy prime Seguin for multiple playoff runs. 11 points in 13 games in 2019 was about the closest we had.

Reactions: wunderpanda

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
Joe Thornton is an easy answer here. If I'm remembering this correctly, he appeared in 33 playoff series and he led ZERO of them in scoring. This is a guy who in his day was a regular Art Ross contender. Won the Hart.
So first off, no thanks for posting something so wrong that I had to take the time to run the numbers.

Thornton led his team in scoring in 7 of 13 playoffs (54%) that he played on the top line and on 2 knees.
Thornton led his team in scoring in 8 of 24 series (33%) that he played on the top line and on 2 knees.

Compare to Crosby:
Crosby led his team in scoring in 7 of 15 playoffs (47%) he played on the top line and on 2 knees.
Crosby led his team in scoring 12 of 32 series (38%) he played on the top line and on 2 knees.

Crosby won 3 Cups in that time. As good as he was, the team's talent depth is what won those Cups more than Crosby. Crosby did not lead the team in scoring in any of those 3 Cup runs. It will always be a question if Crosby would have any cups at all without Malkin. The Sharks have never had a player as good as Malkin, other than Thornton if you consider him better. The Bruins certainly didn't either during Thornton's time. The one year he made the finals Logan Couture led the entire league in playoff scoring. Depth matters.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
Man, I keep sayin this- he doesn’t play winning hockey, not in the playoffs at least. He’s like Adam Dunn, or one of those other home run hitters who was deficient at everything else.

I have this whole Charlie Kelly Pepe Silvia conspiracy with Thornton, but it basically boils down to-

1) Injuries. Dude played through a torn ACL and MCL, so we know he was tough and willing to play through injury. He was a big body playing a ton of games, refusing to sit out, and I wonder if that wore him down by the time playoffs rolled around. Nobody loved the game more, so I just can’t imagine it was an effort/prep thing.
2) Strategy. I don’t think Thornton was any worse in the playoffs, but the spacing he feasted on just tightens up a bit in the playoffs. I’d say the team failed to adjust more than anything, Jumbo still made passes when they were there, dudes just flubbed shots and failed to establish position.
3) Marleau. I blame Marleau. Now there was a playoff stinker, and he just sunk Joe with him. Joe would never say that, too nice a guy, as is Pat, but that gentleman lacked any playoff snarl whatsoever.

In summary, Joe did nothing wrong, it was the cowardly Patrick Marleau all along.

Also, Nash is a weird one, because it just felt like he’d be good. Idk how to explain it better, but a lot of these guys I can create a narrative for, even if it’s my own biased BS. Nash I can’t, big scorer, shoulda been better.
Marleau and Thornton were both good enough in the playoffs. It's fair to say they did not play better than all other top lines in the league, but other teams have won the Cup with the performances they were providing. The problem with the Sharks during their eras is they never had a bottom 6 that could make a difference in the playoffs until Thornton himself was on it, and Karlsson got hurt that year, losing the best player on the team.

Watching over the years Thornton's line never seemed like the problem, they could carry play against most other teams (and the advanced stats bear this out). It's that the other lines would get beaten like rented mules and goaltending was never good enough.

Last edited:

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Nyquist and it's not even remotely close.

198g/305a in 784 regular season games (20.7 goal pace / 0.64 ppg)
5g/23a in 74 playoff games (5.5 goal pace / 0.38 ppg)

Nyquist has 1 goal in his last 39 playoff games, and 3 goals in 56 playoff games since the start of the 2013 playoffs.

The sort of stats that would get a player waived to the AHL.

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
I lived in Vancouver from 98 to 03, and Todd Bertuzzi, and Dan Cloutier were the worst when the games meant something.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I would go with Phil Housley. He advanced out of the first round in his first year and then didn't see the 2nd round of the playoffs until 14 years later.
An interesting pick. His stats go from .82ppg in the regular season to .66ppg in the playoffs, which tends to support your argument. I have a difficult time laying the Sabres lack of success at his feet though. Aside from an aging Gilbert Perreault, they weren't exactly stacked up front. Relying on Andreychuck and Foligno to be your primary offensive forwards through the mid 80s was not a recipe for success in the Adams division. Housley didn't have a lot of help on D either. Ramsey, Bodger, Ruff, and Playfair was a modest group. He'd have been pretty easy to neutralize with so little support around him. Post thirty, he was more a complimentary piece on some some pretty feeble teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad